So Why did Boehner really stop the Sandy Funding - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #16
TheGorram
DC Crew

Member #64899

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
I call bullshit on this. Sandy was a CATEGORY 1. Katarina was a 5. Andrew was a 5. Heck Ike was a Cat 2 when it hit Texas.

That's fourth place of the top of my fucking head.

And the storm surge? 12-15 feet not even close to tops

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/surge/

Katrina was 24-28 feet twice Sandy.

The only thing you got right was it hit the most populated densest economic area of the country.

What makes Sandy so devastating wasn't the sheer power of it (it's category) but the size of it. Compare the size of Sandy with those other storms. Sandy easily two to three times the size of those other storms.

It's not force behind it but rather area covered that made it a terrible storm.

Either way; arguing over how strong a storm is irrelevant. They're all still tragedies that took peoples lives, homes, and businesses away.
TheGorram is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to TheGorram For This Useful Post:
Geneus (01-05-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #17
raidmagic
DC Crew

Member #1067

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

Knock off the personal attacks and name calling or you WILL be on an early January vacation
raidmagic is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sampson 9/22/97-1/1/05

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read

Florida muscle car enthusiast click here
Old 01-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #18
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
Knock off the personal attacks and name calling or you WILL be on an early January vacation

If those vacations are to a warm spot please save one for me.
Poncherello is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #19
StillCrazy
DC Crew

Member #44494

My Corvette(s)
06 COUPE,08 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
Canīt we just get along here. The fact is Sandy may not have been the strongest but because of itīs size,and where it hit and the fact it stayed way to long resulted in massive damage the likes of we havenīt seen in forvever. And congress FOR WHATEVER REASON delayed help when it is so desperatly needed is just unacceptable. The fact is that congress is playing politics with this countries future and were going down the tubes while congress fiddles.
StillCrazy is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #20
Geneus
DC Crew

Member #64482

My Corvette(s)
Z06

I just wonder how many members here have seen the film "Lincoln?" While there are a few historical extrapolations the bulk of the movie is an accurate account of the controversial passing of the 13th Amendment. This occured in 1865...almost 150 years ago! If you think the bickering which has been happening recently in our Congress is new go see this movie and then post up your thoughts.
Geneus is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Forged 402 stroker, ETP 215 ported/polished heads, 1 7/8" AR headers, Fast 90/LS2 TB, Oz Exo-skel dual disc clutch, 5 point custom roll cage, 4.10 gears, DTE strut brace, DTE hardened output shaft, Rwhp/Rwtq?...enough to go 10.44@133.9 with a 1.55-60' and a slipping clutch...thank you RobZ for driving and ECS for the build.
The Following User Says Thank You to Geneus For This Useful Post:
blckslvr79 (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #21
grumpyvette
DC Pit Crew

Member #1106

My Corvette(s)
retired engineer, engine builder, racer 1985.1992.1996 cpes

Quote:
Originally Posted by the machine View Post
According to this story out Today in the NewYork Daily news, John Boehner did not hold up the funding for huricane Sandy relief due to pork in the bill, or a concern for the national debt or even to slow down and consider the bill.

It seems that Mr Boehner did this as a gotcha to his second in comand for not backing Boehners Plan "B" fiscal cliff deal.

Here is a brief quote from that article....

But sources told the Daily News that Boehner pulled the package from consideration as retaliation against Cantor for opposing the "fiscal cliff" compromise that the House passed on Tuesday.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz2H2VGtx69

This is the most disgusting case of childishness I have ever seen in congress. To disrupt the economy of the largest metropolitan area in the country and the trillions of dollars in GDP that this area generates every year, not to mention all the people suffering just to show a guy in your same party who is boss.....is just to stupid for words.

Now of course Boehner has said that it is not true about his problems with Cantor....but of course the next day he promised to pass $9 billion of the $60 billion bill today, which it did and the balance on the 15th. No cuts. No pork removed. No panel empowered to review the bill. Just a lesson for Mr. Cantor at the expense of the American people.

I for one will be contributing heavily to anyone who ever runs against John Boehner....and I believe that many wealthy NJ and NY businessmen will be sending money to his adversaries too.
you only need to read the parts high lighted in red , the first few lines to know the storys 100% liberal B.S. POLITICALLY MOTIVATED, spin doctor CRAP... these are the same jerks that support limiting access to soft drinks over 12 oz in size , and want the government controlling the fat content in your french fries, and limit you to minimal fast food purchases, I won,t even get into TAXES
grumpyvette is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
" IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"
Old 01-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #22
iburke
Sir Dude

Member #6081

My Corvette(s)
1971 T-Top

I don't understand why those people need Federal tax funds to rebuild. If my house blows down or burns down or floods no one gives me any Federal funds to rebuild. If I'm not insured I'm just shit out of luck...
iburke is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I can't tell if I'm dealing well with life these days or I just don't give a shit any more.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #23
grumpyvette
DC Pit Crew

Member #1106

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iburke View Post
I don't understand why those people need Federal tax funds to rebuild. If my house blows down or burns down or floods no one gives me any Federal funds to rebuild. If I'm not insured I'm just shit out of luck...

SEE! you just don,t have the politically correct political liberal nanny state should handle all DECISIONS ,mind set ... that automatically assumes everyone BUT YOU is OBVIOUSLY at fault! and EVERYONE but you! who,s obviously at fault should be made to pay for your lack of personal responsibility.
under no conditions should ANYONE but the government be able to think ahead, or have planed for ANY potential problem,or have insurance, or maybe had the least bit of thought to go into the placement or construction of your home,or the need to carry insurance even if you are a totally clueless moron!
after all who could foresee having a hurricane damage homes on the beach, or just a bit inland from the beach, just because its happened several hundred times in different areas before

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s#18th_century

THE MERE MENTION OF THE IDEA, THAT PEOPLE SHOULD BE responsible FOR THEIR own property, or HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR own actions , OR CAN BE TRUSTED TO MAKE ANY DECISION AFFECTING THEIR own LIVES IS ABHORRENT TO THE LIBERAL MIND, NOW I,M NOT SAYING GOVERNMENT SHOULD NOT HELP CLEAR ROADS, QUICKLY RESTORE UTILITY,S OR FINANCE VERY LOW COST REBUILDING LOANS, OR SUPPLY EMERGENCY CARE, BUT TO TOTALLY RELY ON THE GOVERNMENT ALONE AFTER A DISASTER TO MAKE EVERYTHING BETTER IS ABSURD
" IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"
Old 01-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #24
StillCrazy
DC Crew

Member #44494

My Corvette(s)
06 COUPE,08 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneus View Post
I just wonder how many members here have seen the film "Lincoln?" While there are a few historical extrapolations the bulk of the movie is an accurate account of the controversial passing of the 13th Amendment. This occured in 1865...almost 150 years ago! If you think the bickering which has been happening recently in our Congress is new go see this movie and then post up your thoughts.
I saw the movie,and am a uncivil war buff,there was NOTHING civil about that war. The movies pertrail of events is accurate to a point. It does take a lot of liberites with the day to day interaction of all the parties. But with respect to the infighting that accured between Lincoln and the congress thats pretty accurate.
StillCrazy is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #25
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by iburke View Post
Because this is a backwards world. If you build on solid ground your screwed. If you build at or below sea level, then you have to expect me and others to pay for your complete screwup.
Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #26
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Yea right..I can see it now. Obama announces "too bad, so sad" to business victims of Sandy. Right. Everyone ALREADY thinks he is "anti-business."

How many of you business owners have enough in the bank to completely rebuild everything your business has...or has the proper insurance to cover every penny of it (assuming the insurance won't find a creative way to NOT pay)?
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #27
Geneus
DC Crew

Member #64482

My Corvette(s)
Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyvette View Post
SEE! you just don,t have the politically correct political liberal nanny state should handle all DECISIONS ,mind set ... that automatically assumes everyone BUT YOU is OBVIOUSLY at fault! and EVERYONE but you! who,s obviously at fault should be made to pay for your lack of personal responsibility.
under no conditions should ANYONE but the government be able to think ahead, or have planed for ANY potential problem,or have insurance, or maybe had the least bit of thought to go into the placement or construction of your home,or the need to carry insurance even if you are a totally clueless moron!
after all who could foresee having a hurricane damage homes on the beach, or just a bit inland from the beach, just because its happened several hundred times in different areas before

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s#18th_century

THE MERE MENTION OF THE IDEA, THAT PEOPLE SHOULD BE responsible FOR THEIR own property, or HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR own actions , OR CAN BE TRUSTED TO MAKE ANY DECISION AFFECTING THEIR own LIVES IS ABHORRENT TO THE LIBERAL MIND, NOW I,M NOT SAYING GOVERNMENT SHOULD NOT HELP CLEAR ROADS, QUICKLY RESTORE UTILITY,S OR FINANCE VERY LOW COST REBUILDING LOANS, OR SUPPLY EMERGENCY CARE, BUT TO TOTALLY RELY ON THE GOVERNMENT ALONE AFTER A DISASTER TO MAKE EVERYTHING BETTER IS ABSURD
I guess this statement should also pertain to all those who live in the mid-western and southern states where there are tornados...maybe they should move out of where they live since there have been hundreds of tornados which have caused billions of dollars of damage...and the government did not help them ever.
Geneus is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Forged 402 stroker, ETP 215 ported/polished heads, 1 7/8" AR headers, Fast 90/LS2 TB, Oz Exo-skel dual disc clutch, 5 point custom roll cage, 4.10 gears, DTE strut brace, DTE hardened output shaft, Rwhp/Rwtq?...enough to go 10.44@133.9 with a 1.55-60' and a slipping clutch...thank you RobZ for driving and ECS for the build.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #28
grumpyvette
DC Pit Crew

Member #1106

My Corvette(s)

I live in SOUTH FLORIDA where we get hit every few years with hurricanes THATS WHY YOU CARRY INSURANCE, AND YES I,VE LOST PARTIAL ROOFS, WINDOWS INTERIOR FURNISHINGS,ETC IVE HAD INSURANCE REPLACE THINGS BUT NEVER SEEN GOVERNMENT DO ANYTHING BUT CLEAR THE ROADS AND GET UTILITY S back in service, do ANDREW, ISSAC, seem like familiar names
we get hit hard about once or twice every 10-12 years its just part of living in florida

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...2%80%931999%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...0%93present%29

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/...ter+drain+pump
Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #29
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyvette View Post
I live in SOUTH FLORIDA where we get hit every few years with hurricanes THATS WHY YOU CARRY INSURANCE, AND YES I,VE LOST PARTIAL ROOFS, WINDOWS INTERIOR FURNISHINGS,ETC IVE HAD INSURANCE REPLACE THINGS BUT NEVER SEEN GOVERNMENT DO ANYTHING BUT CLEAR THE ROADS AND GET UTILITY S back in service, do ANDREW, ISSAC, seem like familiar names
we get hit hard about once or twice every 10-12 years its just part of living in florida

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...2%80%931999%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...0%93present%29

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/...ter+drain+pump
Yes and everytime you get hit by a huricane there is a federal disaster aid bill passed to help pay for the damage. Why is it so hard to do the same for an area that gets hit once in a hundred years????
the machine is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine....
Old 01-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #30
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
I call bullshit on this. Sandy was a CATEGORY 1. Katarina was a 5. Andrew was a 5. Heck Ike was a Cat 2 when it hit Texas.

That's fourth place of the top of my fucking head.

And the storm surge? 12-15 feet not even close to tops

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/surge/

Katrina was 24-28 feet twice Sandy.

The only thing you got right was it hit the most populated densest economic area of the country.
I can understand your confusion over this. I too was very surprised when I read this. But sandy recorded the lowest barometric preasure ever recorded. Sandy was a huge storm over 1000 miles wide. It was a hybrid storm which is why it was called a supperstorm. It started as a regular huricane with a warm core but morphed into a nor-easter with a cold core as it hit the area. The strength is calculated by a formula which I am not familiar with but it measures the total energy released by the storm, and due to the size duration and intensity, it ranked 2nd in strength. Isabel in 2003 was #1.

Link to story about it...

http://news.yahoo.com/hurricane-sand...144245618.html

Regardless of the rank though it is rediculous that Boehner played political games with this bill. He should be removed as speaker. He has become too self centered and does not care for the good of the party or the country.

Last edited by the machine; 01-07-2013 at 08:15 AM.
the machine is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.