Re: Mother of twins shoots intruder - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #16
quickpaulie
DC Crew

Member #71981

My Corvette(s)
2003zo6

Just add a LASER & it's point & shoot. + p's for defense. All in all she did GOOD.
quickpaulie is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #17
grumpyvette
DC Pit Crew

Member #1106

My Corvette(s)
retired engineer, engine builder, racer 1985.1992.1996 cpes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette_Newb View Post

If they don't need dental records to ID the body, you didn't do it right.

a single application of #4 or -#1 or the popular 00 buck, to the intruders face/neck at short range cures that issue also, a skilled or even semi skilled person with a good effective shot gun like the one pictured above can do an enormous amount of damage to even several intruders at short (under 50 feet) distances

you get more projectiles . more potential damage but less penetration as the size of shot gets smaller, #4 will provide massive damage at ranges under 50 feet, , its similar to firing 21 22 long rifle bullets at the same instant in a swarm, 00 will extend the range to 40 yards, which is UN-necessary in home defense use in most cases, and will tend to penetrate more interior walls

GOOGLE "pictures of shotgun wounds"
grumpyvette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
" IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"
Old 01-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #18
MayZ
DC Crew

Member #73924

My Corvette(s)
2008 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyvette View Post

a single application to the intruders face/neck at short range cures that issue also, a skilled or even semi skilled person with a good effective shot gun like the one pictured above can do an enormous amount of damage to even several intruders at short (under 50 feet) distances

GOOGLE "pictures of shotgun wounds"
Grumpy, I like your choice

Every member of my household is proficient with the Super 90.

More useful than a flat screen in every room
MayZ is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
MAYZ

2008 Z06 Black/Ebony
2LZ, Comp Grey Wheels
Old 01-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #19
c3c7 norm
DC Crew

Member #120419

My Corvette(s)
C2 C3 C5(2) C6 C7

Good to hear a feel good story, there are way more out there that are not reported. Good for her, at a minimum, 9mm or higher next time.
c3c7 norm is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
USAF Veteran/USCG Retired

USA USN USMC USCG USAF USAR USNR USMCR USCGR USAFR ARNG ANG USPHS NOAA USMM AUS CSA Police/Fire/EMS/EMT

Thank You For Your Service
Old 01-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #20
72SBVet
DC Crew

Member #69345

My Corvette(s)

I'll use slung buck or incendiary ap slugs. Look up Wolf Hill Trading company as they offer all kinds of exotic SG ammo. For home defense I use my Saiga 12 with the 20 round drum and Tact-Out 500 lumen flashlight.
72SBVet is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
As FPSRussia says "As always.... Have nice day"
Old 01-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #21
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
All you big gun guys are forgetting one thing. It's hard for a woman to hide in a small closet with two kids without the barrel of the gun sticking out the door. Kinda gives the bad guy something to grab onto before you see him. If she was going to have a revolver, it should have been a .357. Or, she could have gotten a 9mm and with her shooting ability, an emptied magazine would have hit enough vital organs to have killed that asshat.
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 01-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #22
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
All you big gun guys are forgetting one thing. It's hard for a woman to hide in a small closet with two kids without the barrel of the gun sticking out the door. Kinda gives the bad guy something to grab onto before you see him. If she was going to have a revolver, it should have been a .357. Or, she could have gotten a 9mm and with her shooting ability, an emptied magazine would have hit enough vital organs to have killed that asshat.
.380 is a nice caliber too, and more manageable for woman...especially more petite woman who don't do so well with the big revolvers.

.357 happens to be my favorite for home defense..and anything else you need to take down. Good point you made with ref to shotguns, unless you get the drop, it's easier to wrestle away, or at the least harder for you to take out the perp. Would be disastrous if a woman's caught in that situation.
c6vettedude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Old 01-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #23
grumpyvette
DC Pit Crew

Member #1106

My Corvette(s)
retired engineer, engine builder, racer 1985.1992.1996 cpes

Quote:
why in this world would you hide in a closet if you had access to a good defensive shotgun, If you understand cover , limited access of movement, restriction of movement and controlling Fields of fire.
anyone letting some home invasion type getting in close enough to grab the gun has allowed the scum to get in far too closely before defending themselves
grumpyvette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
" IF YOU CAN,T SMOKE THE TIRES AT WILL,FROM A 60 MPH ROLLING START YOUR ENGINE NEEDS MORE WORK!!"
Old 01-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #24
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
Quote:
why in this world would you hide in a closet if you had access to a good defensive shotgun, If you understand cover , limited access of movement, restriction of movement and controlling Fields of fire.
anyone letting some home invasion type getting in close enough to grab the gun has allowed the scum to get in far too closely before defending themselves
We're talking about a scared woman with two children, not a Marine and former L.A County Sheriff Deputy. I use to run toward gun fire. You can bet that I would be haulin' ass to the sound of someone breaking and entering my home. It's not that I am worried about my property, that can be replaced. However, I take breaking into the dwelling were I lay my head as the ultimate statement in disrespect. You may as well be spitting in my face and calling me a pussy in front of my kids when you break into my house. I take it to be that offensive. That mistake would be dealt with SWIFTLY.
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 01-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #25
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
We're talking about a scared woman with two children, not a Marine and former L.A County Sheriff Deputy. I use to run toward gun fire. You can bet that I would be haulin' ass to the sound of someone breaking and entering my home. It's not that I am worried about my property, that can be replaced. However, I take breaking into the dwelling were I lay my head as the ultimate statement in disrespect. You may as well be spitting in my face and calling me a pussy in front of my kids when you break into my house. I take it to be that offensive. That mistake would be dealt with SWIFTLY.
It's easy for some to talk so nonchlant about taking a life, because our culture glorifies violence through movies, music etc. Few here have ever been shot at or even had a gun pointed at them. It's easy to talk it, until the situation arises. Life rarely ends like in the movies.

Unless you are top-tier psychopath, ending a life is something tough to deal with...even when it's a "them or me" situation.

Just as you weren't allowed to see the coffins coming back from Iraq, you aren't allowed to see the mental suffereing that the soldiers go through afterwards.
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Old 01-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #26
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
You can always tell those who haven't been in that situation before. How many have even had a gun pointed at them, less being shot at. So easy to tell the story in your mind of how it should, or would go. Reality is much different, but then with so many who grew up on rambo, The Terminator and similar movies, it's easy to see why some think these situations are so easy to deal with.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #27
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

Here is another story you might find just as interesting...

http://chicagoist.com/2012/10/09/man...he_thought.php

Of course there are also lots of stories about people with guns having them taken away and then shot by them.

I am not anti gun...but these stories of heroic action in shooting an intruder are blown out of context in my oppinion.

I prefer to not live in fear...and all of this talk about a woman who shoots the intruder are meant to scare us all into thinking we are invulnerable with a gun. Many are not...and if we are all armed then it simply becomes survival of the quickest....how many of you over 65 think you would be the quickest???
the machine is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine....
Old 01-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #28
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Quote:

thats one good example of why I taught the wife how to use a 12 ga riot gun loaded with #4 buck if shes seriously threatened in the home
and why we have redundant alarms, several key chain panic buttons, better locks and cell phones
This is my weapon of choice for home protection. It's kind of like Federal Express -- When you absolutely, positively need to hit your target.....
Texdentist is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #29
BJC99Hardtop
DC Crew

Member #16712

My Corvette(s)
2006 Z06, 1999 FRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by the machine View Post
Here is another story you might find just as interesting...

http://chicagoist.com/2012/10/09/man...he_thought.php

Of course there are also lots of stories about people with guns having them taken away and then shot by them.

I am not anti gun...but these stories of heroic action in shooting an intruder are blown out of context in my oppinion.

I prefer to not live in fear...and all of this talk about a woman who shoots the intruder are meant to scare us all into thinking we are invulnerable with a gun. Many are not...and if we are all armed then it simply becomes survival of the quickest....how many of you over 65 think you would be the quickest???
Although tragic, these "guy who shot his kid" stories are usually propaganda for the other side. The context is often removed from the scenario and the full story is summarized into a snippet that draws the reader to a conclusion.

Let's not forget that the shooter will spend a good portion of the rest of his life in jail. He did not have a plan. He used the gun instead of his brain. He was armed, but not ready. More software...less hardware.

I always say that the second worst thing that could ever happen to me, would be to have to hurt someone. The worst thing being that I, or my family, were hurt.
BJC99Hardtop is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #30
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Dupe....couldn't see my original post until I redid it.
Texdentist is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.