Stingray V12 build.... - Page 10 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #136
tektrans
DC Crew

Member #79719

This build is nutz, GREAT work so far-so original and cool.
Cross ram intake will give you much more low end torque, not that you need it with a v12.
FWIW-I really don't like the bmw wheels at all. I get "why" you wanna use them but I don't think they do anything for the car.
If you decide to use them, Mickey Thompson makes and SR radial that is 28" in diameter. I just bought them for my 18's and the fill the wheelwell up nicely.
tektrans is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #137
Sly Vette
DC Crew

Member #118014

My Corvette(s)
1969 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektrans View Post
This build is nutz, GREAT work so far-so original and cool.
Cross ram intake will give you much more low end torque, not that you need it with a v12.
FWIW-I really don't like the bmw wheels at all. I get "why" you wanna use them but I don't think they do anything for the car.
If you decide to use them, Mickey Thompson makes and SR radial that is 28" in diameter. I just bought them for my 18's and the fill the wheelwell up nicely.
I agree with the above statement as far as the wheels go but if I had to chose I would go with the wheels that are on the red chrome bumper car.
Sly Vette is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 02:04 PM   #138
Spezzy
DC Crew

Member #64845

My Corvette(s)
76 Stingray

I actually kind of like the Alpina wheels. I could see them looking great with a beefier tire.

I do like the ones on the red car as well. I've saved a few of his pics as I've thought about them on my '76. Don't think you can go wrong with either. Plus, I'd love to see the look on the face of a BMW purist at a car show [with the Alpinas].
Spezzy is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #139
Richard454
DC Crew

Member #43340

My Corvette(s)
71 V12 restomod vert (Plan A) 73 L82 4 speed (Plan B)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzy View Post
I actually kind of like the Alpina wheels. I could see them looking great with a beefier tire.

I do like the ones on the red car as well. I've saved a few of his pics as I've thought about them on my '76. Don't think you can go wrong with either. Plus, I'd love to see the look on the face of a BMW purist at a car show [with the Alpinas].
I can piss off both the the BMW AND Corvette purist ....what a concept!!!

OK...big part of my puzzle worked out- or rather one big step to getting this thing running!!!

I found a standalone engine management system that didn't kill my cash flow a little over $1K- It was shown at the PRI show and the guys that are doing it are local to me. It's a piece by Megasquirt- and DIYautotune- Previously their ECUs that have been known as a kit- build it yourself-solder components on the board and all. I had looked at there previous pieces but it looked too homemade for me- and a ribbon cable between the boards just doesn't make me feel warm an fuzzy when some parts are not easily found at the corner Autozone....

Anyway- this is it- MS3 Pro- at the display they actually had it in a Fishtank- so it's what you could call waterproof. Mounting an ECU in one of these old Vettes- a ziplock bag would not be a bad idea....

It'll work w/ the BMW's OEM trigger wheel- cam sensor and even the knock sensors. I'm using a GM water temp and Intake Air Temp sensor.

The stock fuel injectors will wire right up- AND I'll be able to run sequential fire fuel injection-yes ALL 12 injectors.

The ignition system- I'm going w/ LS Truck coils and the ECU will run these w/o any additional drivers. However it only supports 8 coils- so I'll have to use wasted spark configuration.

Also has an onboard 8 gig SD card for internal data logging...

I'm off to the garage....

Richard454 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #140
bob j
DC Crew

Member #54318

My Corvette(s)
66 roadster sold,70 roadster sold,79 coupe sold,92 coupe sold,01 coupe sold,07 3LTcoupe

can't wait for completed videos
bob j is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
bob j. suffolk cnty.L.I.N.Y.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #141
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)
1970 Roadster, Mast Motorsports LS7, TKO 600, SS Frame, C4 suspension

Fire that mutha up!!!!!! O'yea I hope you realize a sound byte is not optional. I wanna hear this motor run.

The engine control system looks outstanding, I had assumed you would be integrating the BMW unit. I like this idea better, assuming the parameters for the different sensing units can be programed.

Lookin' good.
7TRoadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #142
speeddaddy
DC Crew

Member #95319

My Corvette(s)
1977 Corvette

The Torque Thrust style 5 spoke wheels are always a safe bet and look good, but I'm gonna go against the grain on this one and say that I really like the Alpina wheels for something different. They kind of play on the 82 Collector Edition wheels only with a more modern flavor.
speeddaddy is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #143
slofut
DC Crew

Member #119762

My Corvette(s)
1971 base conv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddaddy View Post
The Torque Thrust style 5 spoke wheels are always a safe bet and look good, but I'm gonna go against the grain on this one and say that I really like the Alpina wheels for something different. They kind of play on the 82 Collector Edition wheels only with a more modern flavor.
I remember seeing a Bill Mitchell prototype vette from back when that had wheels similar to these Alpinas. Although they would need more sidewall on the rubber to make it look right. I do like the M wheels on the red 68 though!
Man I hope you continue to make good progress on this build, it's truly awesome. Reminds me of the aerospace guy that put the Jag v12 in the front of the corvair... even being a corvair the result was an incredible finished result. But I'm glad yours isn't a corvair!
Bill
slofut is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #144
speeddaddy
DC Crew

Member #95319

My Corvette(s)
1977 Corvette

I also agree with you on the proper sidewall to make it work. I also see a little Vector style in those Alpinas.
speeddaddy is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #145
TF3N
DC Crew

Member #118499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard454 View Post
If you can't tell...I'm really not a 'close enough' kind of guy...I even have a problem w/ the 'universal' hub on the Boss wheels- and getting some rings made -

I just put the Alpina wheel on to get an idea of the look- I do like the idea of a WTF are these wheels doing on a Vette.. I am using the BMW horns!!!

Here's a guy that's running some BMW M parallel wheels that has the five spoke look-

I think those M parallels look fantastic on the C3. I've been considering throwing a set on my E46 but they're a bit played out in that "scene"... Not the case with the C3.

Personally, I don't think the Alpina's suit the 'vette... and I'm a BMW guy.
TF3N is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #146
Bill Davies
DC Crew

Member #118694

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
I can piss off both the the BMW AND Corvette purist ....what a concept!!!
Using those wheels wouldn't piss me off. I just think they are ugly, but it's your car and if you like it.

The V12 is super cool tho!
Bill Davies is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #147
Richard454
DC Crew

Member #43340

My Corvette(s)

Ok...I think I'll just do this for now...I put the Alpina's on my BMW....

I went through the manual for the new ECU...all 244 pages...
I'm gonna have both a Cam Sensor and Crank sensor...an Intake Air Temp, coolant temp , manifold absolute pressure and a throttle position sensor, a couple of knock sensors and a couple O2 sensors...

Lots of wires...lot of heat shrink...I'm gonna mount the brain in the back well behind the pass seat-

The ECU will sequentially fire all 12 cylinders - so I'm stoked about that...USB port- plus I can run bluetooth and tune from my phone...

I think I've got the ignition figured out too- I'm going with LSX coils...12 of them. Looks like my new ECU will drive the coils fine, however is limited to eight outputs-So I'm gonna run them in a wasted spark configuration.

Here's the LS2 coils mocked up...awaiting my intake back from my welder -promised this weekend...and have 12 connectors for the coils in the mail.

And how about some old Big Block valve covers as coil covers?

Richard
Old 01-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #148
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)
1970 Roadster, Mast Motorsports LS7, TKO 600, SS Frame, C4 suspension

Hey the engine is in, firewall painted, lookin' goooood. Manifold back this weekend, oh yea. I like your decision on the wheels. The cap is great!!!

I really liked the look of the big block covers too. I found some Corvette scripted ones that I used.

See photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC03041.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	2824  
7TRoadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #149
Bill Davies
DC Crew

Member #118694

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Ok...I think I'll just do this for now...I put the Alpina's on my BMW....

Now that is pretty sweet.
Bill Davies is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #150
Richard454
DC Crew

Member #43340

My Corvette(s)

I'm picking up my intakes tomorrow- Finally!!! My buddy said it was a bitch to to do...

Ordered my AC set up- actually found a better compressor and DC controller from an outfit in Canada- Cool-It. It's used on Tractor Trailers- thanks to the no-idle laws...also for roof mounting in Vans to cool the cargo area. And pulls about 35amps at full tilt.

I'm also thinking I can work on my car in the summer- just hook up my battery charger and have cold AC blowing on me...

After some research I've decided to go w/ the Vintage Air set-up...from what I've read it seems to be the preferred piece. Plus I like the electronic controls they have.
I'll just mount the DC compressor on the passenger side wheel well.

I stopped by the u-pull-it and grabbed several headlight motors from 93-97 Ford Probes- I saw a guy on one of the other forums used them- and after messing w/ it -it looks to be pretty straight forward.

I'm getting ready to solder....heat shrink...just a few wires...

I've only got 137days till the Hot Rod Power Tour...

Richard

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.