Hydra-boost brake install issues in C3 vette - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #16
tektrans
DC Crew

Member #79719

great write up. Nice work! I have hydroboost and havent had any issues yet but then again I havent driven the car much either. Now I'm prepared if I do have problem-thanks!
tektrans is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
496BBC
DC Crew

Member #37806

My Corvette(s)

One other thing that the tech mentioned was that the type of power steering fluid can also help. He indicated that there are a few that he has seen help with the foaming and groaning issues and they were Lubegard from NAPA (Lubegard makes an additive and a power steering fluid) and synthetics are also a good option to help with foaming and pump groaning.

I read in another article that GM power steering fluid was also a good fluid for a noise pump while using the Hydra-boost system.

He strongly recommends that you do not use transmission fluid in the power steering system.

Neal

Last edited by 496BBC; 01-07-2013 at 07:49 PM.
496BBC is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
77 vette
GM 454 stroked to 496
10: to 1 comp
Lunati solid roller 260* .701 lift
4:10 rear
2002 Z06 wheels
Dewitt's Radiator and Spal fans
Holley 1000 cfm HP series carb
Tuned with Innovate LM-1
Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #18
TimAT
DC Crew

Member #50735

My Corvette(s)
69 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496BBC View Post

He strongly recommends that you do not use transmission fluid in the power steering system.
Jim Shea can tell you about that one too. Way back when I was playing dealer mechanic the Tech Center guys were all over that one too. It's been done for years, but it's not the best for anything in the system.
TimAT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Horsepower is like potato chips. If you have 300, you want 500. If you have 500, you want 800. One is never enough.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #19
496BBC
DC Crew

Member #37806

My Corvette(s)

Well I got the pump inlet hose installed and started the car up to hear the same noise from the brakes and steering, bled the system a couple times, brought the system up to temp and let it cool off a couple times and the brakes are a lot better now. The brake peddle feels more like my Denali which has Hydro-boost brakes and its not noisy anymore but the steering is another issue.

The fluid has metal flakes in it so I started trouble shooting. With the steering wheels off the ground there are hard spots in the rack and pinion. I put the car on the lift and disconnected the tie rods and gave it another try, still have the hard spots while turning the steering wheel with the engine off. It sounds as if the fluid is going through an orifice than it quits and does it again. Iíve ordered a replacement unit so Iíll have to wait on it to take a test drive.

Right now Iíll say that the brakes are much improved but the real test will be once I have the car back on the road and take it for a test drive.

Most installation guides for the Hydro-boost say to give the system up to 500 miles to allow all the micro bubbles to escape. I noticed the accumulator acting funny until all the air was out. Whit air in the accumulator it causes the peddle to kick back when you apply the brakes. I think this is due to the accumulator trying to pressure up with brake fluid but due to the air it canít.

The accumulator pressures up when the peddle is pressed when the car is started, it diverts pressurized fluid into the accumulator and a check valve prevents it from escaping. If thereís air in it or if the check valve leaks, the peddle when pressed will travel down and than kick back once the accumulator is pressured up, then the brakes will apply. It'll give you an uneasy feeling when this happens while driving the car.

Iím going to do a good flush of the system to try and get all the metal flakes out of the steering system and hope the pump and Hydro-boost system is not damaged.

Neal
77 vette
GM 454 stroked to 496
2002 Z06 wheels
Tuned with Innovate LM-1
Old 01-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #20
DC Crew

Member #50137

All hydraulic systems should have strong magnets and decent filters.
010752 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #21
496BBC
DC Crew

Member #37806

My Corvette(s)

010752, I agree with the magnet but am not sure how much affect it would have on a system that is 95% aluminum.

Neal
77 vette
GM 454 stroked to 496
2002 Z06 wheels
Tuned with Innovate LM-1
Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #22
496BBC
DC Crew

Member #37806

My Corvette(s)

Well I got the replacement rack and have it installed; there was a small piece of metal stuck in the inlet to the rack. Something I didnít notice before is there is a check valve in the inlet to the rack and the piece of metal had lodged in the check valve. Iím not sure if this was the issue with the rack but it more than likely added to the issues. When I took the rack off I turned it by hand and it had hard spots in the travel so it appears there where internal issues also. The new rack is smooth and operates as it should when turned lock to lock.

I had to install a fine mesh around the return fitting in the reservoir to keep the returning fluid from creating a vortex at the outlet of the reservoir and feeding air to the pump, it also helps with removing air from the fluid.

Iíve flushed the system a couple times and the fluid is clean now so hopefully Iíve gotten all the contaminants out.

The Hydro-boost feels more like my Denali now and is not making any noise like before. Iím a little concerned about the backup reservoir on the Hydro-boost right now as it feels as if it works some times and not others. I may replace the Hydro-boost at a latter date to see if I can resolve the peddle kick back that happens every so often. The cause could be air remaining in the back up reservoir so Iíll give it a little time to bleed out before I replace the Hydro-boost.

I had a failed front brake caliper so I have to replace it before I can take a test drive. The steering is quiet now and has a smooth feel so Iím confident I have resolved the two main issues.

Iím really interested in seeing how the reduced flow has affected the road feel of the rack.

Iíll post back when I get the car back on the road and complete the test drive.

Neal
77 vette
GM 454 stroked to 496
2002 Z06 wheels
Tuned with Innovate LM-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.