Re: Mother of twins shoots intruder - Page 3 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #31
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJC99Hardtop View Post
Although tragic, these "guy who shot his kid" stories are usually propaganda for the other side. The context is often removed from the scenario and the full story is summarized into a snippet that draws the reader to a conclusion.

Let's not forget that the shooter will spend a good portion of the rest of his life in jail. He did not have a plan. He used the gun instead of his brain. He was armed, but not ready. More software...less hardware.

I always say that the second worst thing that could ever happen to me, would be to have to hurt someone. The worst thing being that I, or my family, were hurt.
I think both types of stories are propaganda. We certainly don't know all the facts about the woman who shot the crow bar wielding intruder...just as we don't know all the facts about the dad who shot his son thinking he was an intruder.

I just think that for every story about the woman who shot an intruder, for equal consideration we should post a story about the gun being taken away and used to shoot the gun owner or a story about the dad or mom who accidently shoots their son.
the machine is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #32
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
Originally Posted by the machine View Post
I think both types of stories are propaganda. We certainly don't know all the facts about the woman who shot the crow bar wielding intruder...just as we don't know all the facts about the dad who shot his son thinking he was an intruder.

I just think that for every story about the woman who shot an intruder, for equal consideration we should post a story about the gun being taken away and used to shoot the gun owner or a story about the dad or mom who accidently shoots their son.
They could be perceived as propaganda, or as stories that happened as told. You seldom hear about someone using a firearm to protect themselves, compared to the number of stories you hear about people who are senselessly killed by guns.
c6vettedude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #33
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6vettedude View Post
They could be perceived as propaganda, or as stories that happened as told. You seldom hear about someone using a firearm to protect themselves, compared to the number of stories you hear about people who are senselessly killed by guns.
Well how many times do the two situations happen. People are killed by guns every single day. I do not think someone shoots an intruder every single day.( I could be wrong) Every month the NRA publishes three or four stories about someone defending themseves with a fire arm in their magazine. But there is never the other stories of people who shoot the wrong person or thier own child. I just cannot imagine how bad I would feel if I shot one of my boys thinking they were a burgler. But I think it would be a good service to it's readers to make people aware of the danger of misidentification.
the machine is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine....
Old 01-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #34
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
( I could be wrong)
HOLY SHIT BATMAN!!!!

He didn't just say that????
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #35
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Quote:
Well how many times do the two situations happen. People are killed by guns every single day. I do not think someone shoots an intruder every single day.( I could be wrong) Every month the NRA publishes three or four stories about someone defending themseves with a fire arm in their magazine. But there is never the other stories of people who shoot the wrong person or thier own child. I just cannot imagine how bad I would feel if I shot one of my boys thinking they were a burgler. But I think it would be a good service to it's readers to make people aware of the danger of misidentification.
And what are the statistics of people shooting intruders compared to mistakenly shooting their own child?

No one is forcing you to have a gun in your home. If you are afraid of shooting the wrong people, then you should not have a gun in your possession.

I'm sure 99.9% of gun owners are aware of the danger of misidentification.
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #36
c6vettedude
DC Crew

Member #120057

Quote:
... but one of the reasons you don't hear about many stories about someone using a gun in self-defense, is because of the gun itself. In most cases, once a gun is drawn in self-defense, the perp flees the scene, or perhaps even a warning shot is fired. Only the most desparate and crazed criminals will pursue an attack after a gun is revealed.

There have only been a few instances like the case where the guy shot his son. More mom's run over their kids in the driveway backing out.

Nothing is 100% safe unless it's locked away. Ironically, prisoners in supermax prisons are the safest people in country, but who want's that?? Danger is inherent in a free society, though I agree that a lot of the laws that are already on the books needs to be reinforced, and some of them tweeked... like making sure that people on psychotropic medications can't purchase guns.
c6vettedude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2006 Blk C6 vert w/A&A Supercharger kit w/V3 upgrade, Random Tech ceramic-coated LT headers w/hi-flo cats and Corsa Extreme exhaust. New dyno #'s 611rwhp/583tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.