The Car GM Needs to Build for the "Younger Generation" - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #16
VetteUSA
I have poor impulse control.

Member #64186

My Corvette(s)
'93 LT1 Coupe (2005 - 2011). '08 CTS (Now)

GM is so damn stupid, so it's not surprising to me that they can't come up with good ideas or designs. Hell, look at their entire lineup. The cars that have any personality can be counted on one hand, all the rest are cookie cutter boringly designed vehicles.

Corvette, Camaro, CTS. Seriously, i think that's about it.

They managed to screw up the final design of the Volt (which I thought looked really good as a concept), so the production Volt has no personality any more. GM is stupid, no wonder they went bankrupt.
VetteUSA is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #17
PNHNDLE96CE

Member #14104

My Corvette(s)
96 LT1 Collector Edition

GM builds good cars, that's not the problem! Problem is They don't build great cars or cars that set the market. They build cars to meet a certain market and when that model actually makes production it's target has moved on to the next generation.
PNHNDLE96CE is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #18
TheMelkMan
DC Crew

Member #118968

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteUSA View Post
They managed to screw up the final design of the Volt (which I thought looked really good as a concept), so the production Volt has no personality any more. GM is stupid, no wonder they went bankrupt.
I don't know, I thought the early Volt concept was kind of fugly (in fact, it looked somewhat similar to that red monstrosity that Chris posted in his original comment). I'll grant you that the production Volt doesn't look nearly as sporty as the concept, but then again, it isn't a sports car. I think the styling is perfectly appropriate for what it is: an admittedly overpriced, mid-level eco sedan. Styling wise, it's worlds ahead of the bug-eyed Prius.

As for the "youth" concepts that this thread is about, I think that the red 130R is hideous and looks like a really bad kit car built on top of a 3rd-gen RX-7 (link here). The 140S on the other hand, I think GM hit it out of the park. I think it looks great for an entry-level sedan, and is leaps and bounds ahead of the Civic or Focus or Dart in terms of styling.
TheMelkMan is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #19
bkuper
DC Crew

Member #16

My Corvette(s)
1994 Dark Metallic Red Coupe, 1989 Bright Red Coupe, 1986 Black Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Draper View Post
the other "Youth Concept" was the Tru 140S. IMO much better then the other. i actually wouldn't be embarrassed to drive this.

http://www.supercars.net/cars/5587.html

Hey there's those Camaro taillights again!
I think this car is kinda cool.
bkuper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Brian Kuper
Dallas, Texas
http://www.gff.com/

1994 LT1 Coupe (broken and sold)
1989 L98 Coupe (sold)
1986 L98 Coupe (bone yard)
Old 01-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #20
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNHNDLE96CE View Post
I like this one too. But would it sway young buyers from their Civic SI or Golf GTI? Chevy needs something in that market but they really need to stop half assing it!
Golf GTIs are pretty expensive and the Civic si guys are not happy with the latest si variant of the current Civic. The BRZ and FRS twins are $25,000-$30,000 cars, also they are slow......

They are touted for their handling and driving dynamics however they have yet to beat anything in a race. The no grip tires combined with 200BHP makes it slow at a race track though fun and involving to drive.

I would much rather have a 1LT V-6 Camaro for the same price as the FRS/BRZ.....
Roadkillz is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. " Aristotle
Old 01-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #21
HN376RAR
DC Crew

Member #13187

My Corvette(s)
2004 Red Convertible, 2011 Red Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNHNDLE96CE View Post
I like this one too. But would it sway young buyers from their Civic SI or Golf GTI? Chevy needs something in that market but they really need to stop half assing it!

1st, I would buy either of those concepts (Tru40S, Code 13?) revealed during the 2012 NAIAS.

That being said, niether Ford, Chrysler or GM offer me a 2 door entry level / economy option. To get that, I have to go to Hyundai/Kia, Toyota/Scion, Honda, etc.

GM: Give me a 2 door Cruze option
Ford: Give me a 2 door Focus or Fiesta option
Chrysler: Give me a 2 door Dart option

Then, offer SS/SVT/SRT packages for them!

These lower cost cars appeal to younger buyers.

Sorry for the rant, but thanks for reading.
HN376RAR is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #22
UHME2010
DC Crew

Member #118269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Draper View Post
You think it's great?

It's the Chevrolet Code Red Concept. One of 2 "Youth Concepts" shown last year made to inspire "Youth appeal"

Code 130R "Code Red"

And Wow, look at the taillights! HAHAHAHAHA!
Wow, you gotta be kidding with that. It's got C7 written all over it .

As far as the FRS, when I saw the commerical for it, I though it was pretty cool. Then I saw one on the road and it killed it for me. The front end is nice but the rear sits too high. Lowering it wouldnt make a difference because of the upward "appearing" angle which it is facing. I like the rears of my cars to sit wide and low. This car doesn't fit the bill. Still an overall nice ride though if your on a budget and need something to get around.
UHME2010 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #23
groundczero
DC Crew

Member #740

My Corvette(s)
1977 02 LS6 engine, I also have a 1985 mustang with a worked over LS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkillz View Post
Golf GTIs are pretty expensive and the Civic si guys are not happy with the latest si variant of the current Civic. The BRZ and FRS twins are $25,000-$30,000 cars, also they are slow......

They are touted for their handling and driving dynamics however they have yet to beat anything in a race. The no grip tires combined with 200BHP makes it slow at a race track though fun and involving to drive.

I would much rather have a 1LT V-6 Camaro for the same price as the FRS/BRZ.....
Need to agree, the FRS/BRZ is a joke of a drive train, the only thing it has going for it is weight, so people are already putting LS engines in them.
groundczero is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
power corrupts, but absolute power is pretty neat
Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #24
Chris Draper
DC Crew

Member #3332

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundczero View Post
Need to agree, the FRS/BRZ is a joke of a drive train, the only thing it has going for it is weight, so people are already putting LS engines in them.
0-60 in 6.5 seconds isn't really that slow.

The Miata has 158hp and weighs 2,593 lbs and does an equal 0-60 in 6.5sec.

Miata is also the benchmark car for this segment, just as the Porsche 911 has been the benchmark for the sportscar segment (Corvette).

There are Miata spec racing series all over, and there is now a FR-S spec series in Canada and soon to be in the US.
Chris Draper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette Info Center http://corvette-info.tripod.com
Corvette Racing History http://corvette-racing.tripod.com
Corvette Concepts History http://corvette-concepts.tripod.com
Corvette Info Center Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/corvetteinfocenter
Old 01-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #25
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteUSA View Post
GM is so damn stupid, so it's not surprising to me that they can't come up with good ideas or designs. Hell, look at their entire lineup. The cars that have any personality can be counted on one hand, all the rest are cookie cutter boringly designed vehicles.
Forced to defend a GM that I am PISSED OFF with right now, but seriously, can you think of any mainline Toyotas that have a personality? Most of the world of car buyers are not like us here on DC. Hell, even my wife barely gives a crap about her car ..."just something to get from "A" to "B" reliably."

This is not the issue Chris has raised, and it's a damn good one. Even the next Alpha chassis Camaro will still be priced out of reach of the yougest-just-getting-started demographic. I agree completely with Chris's styling comments about the two entry Chevy's. The True should be the FWD (if produced at all) and the Code should ride on the RWD platform. I think someone at GM thought the Tru could be an economical alternative to the BMW 1series; hence the more vertical coupe look. I think they overshot, making to too notchback. (SHOCK! I disagree with GM styling!!)

BTW, where the hell are they getting a RWD platform that small. Can the Alpha platform shrink that small and keep costs down? ...maybe its an "Alpha light"???

Lutz had a good idea with the Kappa, but the execution was mediocre at best = too big. too heavy ... I liked styling and so did my early 20's son.
Longtimer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 01-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #26
RTGordon

Member #22113

My Corvette(s)
These tights make my butt look big.

The advertised performance of the Subaru/Scion is reasonable, but the two I have driven did not impress me. The acceleration was on par with a 2nd gen MX-5, despite a 60 horsepower advantage. Body roll was more than expected, despite a somewhat harsh ride. The interior is purposeful, which was pleasant for a change. Hard sell for someone who can buy a used C6 for the same money. (Yes, I realize new versus used isn't always a fair comparison)

Oh, and did I mention that one of them caught fire?

RTGordon is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2000 Pewter/Black Coupe, gone.
1974 Blue/Silver Coupe, gone.
1982 Gold Coupe, gone.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #27
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

I'd put a 140S in my garage as a daily.
XQIZT is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #28
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
I'd put a 140S in my garage as a daily.
I realize peformance isn't as exciting to today's youth as it has always been to me. Everything is about efficiency. The 140S is a great design. But I would never get excited about the Ecotec I4 with 150 hp. Give that car a V6 with 250-300 hp and you would have a car I could get excited about. Of course, that would mean a more expensive drive train, suspension and brakes, so the price would probably be well north of $30k. Oh, well.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #29
Chris Draper
DC Crew

Member #3332

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
I realize peformance isn't as exciting to today's youth as it has always been to me.
This is another misconception made up by today's auto manufactures and media. We aren't all tree-hugging, hypermiling, eco friendly people, and California is only 1 out of the 50 states in this country.

You guys are really getting stuck on horsepower. Weight is the key here, as is the same with the Corvette.

Performance is relative. Driving a slow car fast is sometimes just as fun as driving a fast car fast.

Anyone ever drive a go-kart?
Chris Draper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette Info Center http://corvette-info.tripod.com
Corvette Racing History http://corvette-racing.tripod.com
Corvette Concepts History http://corvette-concepts.tripod.com
Corvette Info Center Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/corvetteinfocenter
Old 01-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #30
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
I realize peformance isn't as exciting to today's youth as it has always been to me. Everything is about efficiency. The 140S is a great design. But I would never get excited about the Ecotec I4 with 150 hp. Give that car a V6 with 250-300 hp and you would have a car I could get excited about. Of course, that would mean a more expensive drive train, suspension and brakes, so the price would probably be well north of $30k. Oh, well.
Exactly my point. The entry target wouldn't necessarily excite very many of us here. It need only show well against Miatas and the Scio-baru. A good performing I4 turbo is required for an entry level sports car. We're not talking about an entry level Camaro or an entry level Corvette.

Ideally, the GM car aimed at Chris's driveway will serve him well for a few years before he moves up to a Camaro, which would serve him well for a few years before he moves up to a Corvette - which would be an early release C8 due to the poor sales of the C7
Longtimer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.