Some of the Specs are Still Fuzzy - Page 4 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #46
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkuper View Post
If these numbers are accurate, the footprint didn't ready get any smaller:

C6
Wheelbase ...........105.7 inches
Overall length .......174.6 inches
Overall width ..........72.6 inches
Overall height .........49.1 inches

C7
Wheelbase............106.7 inches
Overall length..........177 inches
Overall width..........73.9 inches
Overall height.........48.6 inches
It's not smaller. I think weight will be close to the same. The thing is that everyone is comparing it to what the Z06 or the base. Everything we have seen is relative so far, this part is lighter than that.
spd98 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to spd98 For This Useful Post:
leshelt (01-19-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 01:18 AM   #47
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
It's not smaller. I think weight will be close to the same. The thing is that everyone is comparing it to what the Z06 or the base. Everything we have seen is relative so far, this part is lighter than that.
People are comparing it to the base model (as has GM in all of the interviews).
Roadkillz is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. " Aristotle
Old 01-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #48
PNHNDLE96CE

Member #14104

My Corvette(s)
96 LT1 Collector Edition

I am just going by what has been reported by the car rags referencing weight. Car & Driver video with Csaba Csere has a guestimate of 3350, but their print version of preview of the C7 says the GM weight goal was 3000lbs. I don't know what to think other than maybe I should quit drinking the car rag kool-aid and wait for the final numbers.
PNHNDLE96CE is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #49
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNHNDLE96CE View Post
I am just going by what has been reported by the car rags referencing weight. Car & Driver video with Csaba Csere has a guestimate of 3350, but their print version of preview of the C7 says the GM weight goal was 3000lbs. I don't know what to think other than maybe I should quit drinking the car rag kool-aid and wait for the final numbers.
Exactly. If the car rag editors / reporters knew as much about corvettes as we do, they would have asked better questions about the weight and we wouldn't be trying to fix their mistakes.

JMHO
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 01-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #50
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkillz View Post
People are comparing it to the base model (as has GM in all of the interviews).
Except when talking about weight reduction and tire size. They have been comparing the losses to the z06. !hey said expect skid pad numbers approaching 1g with narrower tires, and they keep mentioning frame weight and stiffness verses the previous aluminum frame. My point is anything GM has said is relative to the old car and in a couple of instances they have compared to different models. I suspect this car will be heavier than the Z but possibly a little lighter than the base.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #51
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNHNDLE96CE View Post
There are a number of inaccuracies with the reporting so far on the C7 Corvette. Not to say that this is or is not one such example of inaccurate reporting (though I sure hope it is). 3,000 pounds seems correct for all of the press of weight that GM has put out for weight savings (at least for the car in base trim).
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. " Aristotle
Old 01-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #52
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
Except when talking about weight reduction and tire size. They have been comparing the losses to the z06. !hey said expect skid pad numbers approaching 1g with narrower tires, and they keep mentioning frame weight and stiffness verses the previous aluminum frame. My point is anything GM has said is relative to the old car and in a couple of instances they have compared to different models. I suspect this car will be heavier than the Z but possibly a little lighter than the base.
Frame weight and stiffness were actually in comparison of the old steal frame rail chassis (99 pounds lighter and 60% stiffer). A few other things about the chassis, it is 100% all new and the frame rails are no longer hydro formed.

There really is nothing about this car that would suggest that it will be heavier then the Z06.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #53
alexandro777
DC Crew

Member #20294

the Lt1 weight more than the ls engine. the new interior and equipment add weight.
alexandro777 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 02:55 AM   #54
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandro777 View Post
the Lt1 weight more than the ls engine. the new interior and equipment add weight.
Once more, GM stated that the LT1 is 15 pounds heavier then the LS3.

Also the seats are lighter then the C6 seats and last I checked aluminum and carbon fiber are not heavy materials. None of the gadgets in the C7 weigh much (I know some people think that a touch screen radio is 200 pounds). The interior is probably from the same weight as the C6 to slightly lighter (seeing that car seats weigh a lot more then stereos. The C6 driver seat with base is 56 pounds, and an after market double din touch screen car stereo is 7 pounds... you do the math on that one.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #55
sprtplt
DC Crew

Member #58421

My Corvette(s)
07 coupe, manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
I understand your logic, but again, the Al HF rails are at least 130 lbs lighter - possibly as much as 150 lbs lighter. They said the CF body panels dropped 35 Lbs. So there is a minimum of 165 Lbs off of a 3208 LB C6. If it's heavier. Where were the adds that exceed the 165 lbs??
The C7 is a bigger car overall, interior is larger, seats and door panels and dash appear to have more mass (we know the seats are heavier). Wheels are larger (diameter) too.
The apparent weight gain on what was supposed to be a clean-sheet car, is horrific.
sprtplt is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #56
bkuper
DC Crew

Member #16

My Corvette(s)
1994 Dark Metallic Red Coupe, 1989 Bright Red Coupe, 1986 Black Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
Exactly. If the car rag editors / reporters knew as much about corvettes as we do, they would have asked better questions about the weight and we wouldn't be trying to fix their mistakes.

JMHO
bkuper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Brian Kuper
Dallas, Texas
http://www.gff.com/

1994 LT1 Coupe (broken and sold)
1989 L98 Coupe (sold)
1986 L98 Coupe (bone yard)
Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #57
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtplt View Post
The C7 is a bigger car overall, interior is larger, seats and door panels and dash appear to have more mass (we know the seats are heavier). Wheels are larger (diameter) too.
The apparent weight gain on what was supposed to be a clean-sheet car, is horrific.
The standard C6 wheels are 18 inches by 8.5 front and 19 inches by 10 rear. The base C7 wheel is 18 inches by 8.5 front and 19 inches by 10 rear so the wheel size is exactly the same between the base C6 and base C7.

The C6 Z51 front wheels were 19 inches by 8.5 and the rears were 20 inches by 10 inches. The C7 Z51 is 19 inches by 8.5 inches front and 20 inches by 10 inches rear so the tire size fromt he C6 and C7 are exactly the same.

As has been stated, despite the car being slightly longer and slightly wider the chassis is 99 pounds lighter and the body is 37 pounds lighter. Also the high quality interior like on the C6 is on the 3LT package on the C7 so the lower trim level cars do not have the higher quality interior. It would be hard to believe that the seats which use a magnesium frame is heavier then the C6 seats but possible.

In one article they mention that the computers for the LT1 engine added 35 pounds and the torque tube to deal with the AFM is 15 pounds heavier and 5.5 pounds for exhaust valves. I would guess that the 7 speed transmission probably weighs a little bit more then the 6 speed manual transmission.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roadkillz For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #58
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtplt View Post
I agree, if there really is a net weight gain. It would be a HUGE "FAIL" given the considerable amount of lighter (and more expensive) components in the C7.

GM really does need to take a clear, official stance on the weights of the C7 Stingray and the C7 Stingray Z51. Even if they need to apply some conditional statement about the weight, it would be better than allowing the worst to be assumed - as seen in most of the car rags.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 01-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #59
mbwalker

Member #7872

My Corvette(s)
96 LT4 sold, 04 sold, 08 flooded (RIP), 09

If it is lighter, I'm surprised GM wouldn't have tossed out some preliminary numbers or simply stated "Yes, it will be lighter." To me, not deal breaker either way. I don't track the car, but of course I'd take lighter. I wouldn't think all the new electronics gizmos would amount to much.

Anyone remember when we found out the C6 numbers?
mbwalker is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #60
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbwalker View Post
If it is lighter, I'm surprised GM wouldn't have tossed out some preliminary numbers or simply stated "Yes, it will be lighter." To me, not deal breaker either way. I don't track the car, but of course I'd take lighter. I wouldn't think all the new electronics gizmos would amount to much.

Anyone remember when we found out the C6 numbers?
At this point other than the braking improvement and frame weight, GM has given ZERO actual numbers related to performance. I'm wondering when the "numbers party" will be. They haven't released any numbers for the new trucks either, and those are a huge deal for GM's bottom line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.