Women In Combat, I'm All For It. - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
MR BRNS C6

Member #73972

My Corvette(s)
2006 Silver Fish

Women In Combat, I'm All For It.

Can't wait for the term " Combat Baby " to be used for some new type of entitlement.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...3317828&rank=1
MR BRNS C6 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Smithers, unleash the hounds!
Edelbrock E-Force 1593 & Magnaflow exhaust for that healthy American sound. Before SC 354 RWHP, after SC 484 RWHP. That's all I can do and still pass California smog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

If they were all built like this, I'd have no problem with it.

blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
AK's Z06
DC Crew

Member #29637

My Corvette(s)
2005 Monterey Red Metallic Z51 Coupe

Equality without Responsibility is over.
AK's Z06 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2005 Monterey Red Metallic Z51 Sold, 2003 Electron Blue Z06 Sold, 1995 Aqua Metallic ZF6FX3 Sold, 1992 Dark Red Metallic Coupe Sold, 1990 White Coupe Sold, 1989 Black Coupe Sold
Old 01-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
PNHNDLE96CE

Member #14104

My Corvette(s)
96 LT1 Collector Edition

The Israelis do it, why can't we. Will be interesting to see, not that they can't do it, more of a do they want to.
PNHNDLE96CE is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
DarthAWM
DC Crew

Member #83845

My Corvette(s)
2003 Torch Red 6 speed coupe

Get them on the same cycle and they'll be great one week a month
DarthAWM is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
America is all about speed.
Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanore Roosevelt
Old 01-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
PNHNDLE96CE

Member #14104

My Corvette(s)
96 LT1 Collector Edition

Honestly this is lip service. I have been serving for 20+ yrs and women in a general combat role may work, but for a close knit group like special ops I don't see it. Flame suit on. If there were conditions on serving in those roles maybe. But my experience is that sorry if I offend they get pregnant at the most opportune time, ie before a deployment. I am not against it at all, you want it do it but all I can say is we will see how this combat role expansion pans out.
PNHNDLE96CE is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 03:06 AM   #7
Upheval

Member #63633

My Corvette(s)
2007 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNHNDLE96CE View Post
But my experience is that sorry if I offend they get pregnant at the most opportune time, ie before a deployment.
This was the norm in the Marines with the WM's (Woman Marines). I saw this same thing over and over again.

If they want to be on the front lines then go for it. The ugly side of it will be the raping of the captured ones. They just better expect and prepair for this sort of thing because it will happen.
Upheval is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #8
c3c7 norm
DC Crew

Member #120419

My Corvette(s)
C2 C3 C5(2) C6 C7

Sorry ladies, old school here, relegated to support roles. My Dad, career Army WWII and Korea, I can hear him from the grave now, NOOOOOOOOOOOO.........God bless his soul.
c3c7 norm is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
USAF Veteran/USCG Retired

USA USN USMC USCG USAF USAR USNR USMCR USCGR USAFR ARNG ANG USPHS NOAA USMM AUS CSA Police/Fire/EMS/EMT

Thank You For Your Service
Old 01-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
87vette81big
DC Crew

Member #117927

My Corvette(s)
1987 Corvette Convertible

"Sarah Conners' "

Original Terminator from 1983, she kicked Arnold Swarziniger's ass many times.
87vette81big is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #10
Fluffy

Member #68058

My Corvette(s)
JSB 2008 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vette81big View Post
"Sarah Conners' "

Original Terminator from 1983, she kicked Arnold Swarziniger's ass many times.
It was an ethical hollywood film.

When we get into some dirty war in which they do things to prisonners, we will see if the position is going to be the same.

I agree on the SpecOps to.

War ain't pretty and equality means that anyone can be tortured.
Fluffy is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Rayman XIII
Old 01-24-2013, 09:52 AM   #11
1963SS
DC Crew

Member #96709

My Corvette(s)
1995 C4

If they can get through the same training with the same equipment with NO allowance for gender, then maybe. Since they'll be serving on the front lines, side by side with men then they should train with men also. Shit, shower, shave, etc.....all of it. There are no his and hers porta-potties on the front lines. Can she run with a 75 pound pack on and can she drag a wounded Marine to cover. With all due respect to Demi Moore and "GI Jane" I don't want a 120 pound woman trying to drag me around. Marines will die because of this idiocy.

Of course they will be excluded from some activities. When referring to everyone I've been known to say, " I want every swinging dick in here to give me 50 push-ups." That would exclude all the ladies and some of our more sissy men. Would we still be allowed to curse around the fairer sex. Can you "grab-ass" with a woman. I hope so because it's almost a Marine tradition.
1963SS is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

I can only dream of a world where a chicken can cross the road without having his morals questioned.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
blckslvr79

Member #67576

My Corvette(s)
1979 L82 4speed

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal

Read more here...
http://www.mca-marines.org/gazette/a...-created-equal

Who is driving this agenda? I am not personally hearing female Marines, enlisted or officer, pounding on the doors of Congress claiming that their inability to serve in the infantry violates their right to equality. Shockingly, this isnít even a congressional agenda. This issue is being pushed by several groups, one of which is a small committee of civilians appointed by the Secretary of Defense called the Defense Advisory Committee on Women in the Service (DACOWITS). Their mission is to advise the Department of Defense (DoD) on recommendations, as well as matters of policy, pertaining to the well-being of women in the Armed Services from recruiting to employment. Members are selected based on their prior military experience or experience with womenís workforce issues. I certainly applaud and appreciate DACOWITSí mission; however, as it pertains to the issue of women in the infantry, itís very surprising to see that none of the committee members are on active duty or have any recent combat or relevant operational experience relating to the issue they are attempting to change. I say this because, at the end of the day, itís the active duty servicemember who will ultimately deal with the results of their initiatives, not those on the outside looking in. As of now, the Marine Corps hasnít been directed to integrate, but perhaps the Corps is anticipating the inevitableóDoD pressuring the Corps to comply with DACOWITSí agenda as the Army has already ďrogered upĒ to full integration. Regardless of what the Army decides to do, itís critical to emphasize that we are not the Army; our operational speed and tempo, along with our overall mission as the Nationís amphibious force-in-readiness, are fundamentally different than that of our sister Service. By no means is this distinction intended as disrespectful to our incredible Army. My main point is simply to state that the Marine Corps and the Army are different; even if the Army ultimately does fully integrate all military occupational fields, that doesnít mean the Corps should follow suit.

I understand that there are female servicemembers who have proven themselves to be physically, mentally, and morally capable of leading and executing combat-type operations; as a result, some of these Marines may feel qualified for the chance of taking on the role of 0302. In the end, my main concern is not whether women are capable of conducting combat operations, as we have already proven that we can hold our own in some very difficult combat situations; instead, my main concern is a question of longevity. Can women endure the physical and physiological rigors of sustained combat operations, and are we willing to accept the attrition and medical issues that go along with integration?

As a young lieutenant, I fit the mold of a female who would have had a shot at completing IOC, and I am sure there was a time in my life where I would have volunteered to be an infantryman. I was a star ice hockey player at Bowdoin College, a small elite college in Maine, with a major in government and law. At 5 feet 3 inches I was squatting 200 pounds and benching 145 pounds when I graduated in 2007. I completed Officer Candidates School (OCS) ranked 4 of 52 candidates, graduated 48 of 261 from TBS, and finished second at MOS school. I also repeatedly scored far above average in all female-based physical fitness tests (for example, earning a 292 out of 300 on the Marine physical fitness test). Five years later, I am physically not the woman I once was and my views have greatly changed on the possibility of women having successful long careers while serving in the infantry. I can say from firsthand experience in Iraq and Afghanistan, and not just emotion, that we havenít even begun to analyze and comprehend the gender-specific medical issues and overall physical toll continuous combat operations will have on females.

I was a motivated, resilient second lieutenant when I deployed to Iraq for 10 months, traveling across the Marine area of operations (AO) and participating in numerous combat operations. Yet, due to the excessive amount of time I spent in full combat load, I was diagnosed with a severe case of restless leg syndrome. My spine had compressed on nerves in my lower back causing neuropathy which compounded the symptoms of restless leg syndrome. While this injury has certainly not been enjoyable, Iraq was a pleasant experience compared to the experiences I endured during my deployment to Afghanistan. At the beginning of my tour in Helmand Province, I was physically capable of conducting combat operations for weeks at a time, remaining in my gear for days if necessary and averaging 16-hour days of engineering operations in the heart of Sangin, one of the most kinetic and challenging AOs in the country. There were numerous occasions where I was sent to a grid coordinate and told to build a PB from the ground up, serving not only as the mission commander but also the base commander until the occupants (infantry units) arrived 5 days later. In most of these situations, I had a sergeant as my assistant commander, and the remainder of my platoon consisted of young, motivated NCOs. I was the senior Marine making the final decisions on construction concerns, along with 24-hour base defense and leading 30 Marines at any given time. The physical strain of enduring combat operations and the stress of being responsible for the lives and well-being of such a young group in an extremely kinetic environment were compounded by lack of sleep, which ultimately took a physical toll on my body that I couldnít have foreseen.

By the fifth month into the deployment, I had muscle atrophy in my thighs that was causing me to constantly trip and my legs to buckle with the slightest grade change. My agility during firefights and mobility on and off vehicles and perimeter walls was seriously hindering my response time and overall capability. It was evident that stress and muscular deterioration was affecting everyone regardless of gender; however, the rate of my deterioration was noticeably faster than that of male Marines and further compounded by gender-specific medical conditions. At the end of the 7-month deployment, and the construction of 18 PBs later, I had lost 17 pounds and was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome (which personally resulted in infertility, but is not a genetic trend in my family), which was brought on by the chemical and physical changes endured during deployment. Regardless of my deteriorating physical stature, I was extremely successful during both of my combat tours, serving beside my infantry brethren and gaining the respect of every unit I supported. Regardless, I can say with 100 percent assurance that despite my accomplishments, there is no way I could endure the physical demands of the infantrymen whom I worked beside as their combat load and constant deployment cycle would leave me facing medical separation long before the option of retirement. I understand that everyone is affected differently; however, I am confident that should the Marine Corps attempt to fully integrate women into the infantry, we as an institution are going to experience a colossal increase in crippling and career-ending medical conditions for females.
blckslvr79 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I'm taking care of my procrastination issues, just you wait and see.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

I saw a bit on the local news this morning where an anchorwoman about 30 interviewed a local radio talk show host who comes on every Thursday to discuss current events. He listed all the reasons he thought women in combat was insane - it's an old list:
1. On average women are not nearly as strong as men. Carrying the equipment in battle conditions alone makes it questionable.
2. Captured women will undoubtedly be sexually assaulted which would not only be horrible for them, but could be used to extract info from captured male soldiers.
3. Combat units train as a team - especially special ops type teams. What happens when they have trained for a year or two for a specific purpose and the woman gets pregnant in the weeks before their skills are needed? The team will not be as effective with a substitute or fewer team members.

Well, the anchorwoman was breathing fire. She felt this was the most sexist stuff she had ever heard and anyone who believed like this guy was some kind of neanderthal. Personally, I think those are all good points. But, if the military really thinks this can work and isn't just doing it for social correctness (doubtful), I'm OK with it.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
MR BRNS C6

Member #73972

My Corvette(s)
2006 Silver Fish

Maybe the military should require females in the service to take Depo-Prevara shots. At least while they're in combat ready units, that'd stop a whole lotta females from joining and stop that "I'm pregnant before deployment shit".
MR BRNS C6 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Smithers, unleash the hounds!
Edelbrock E-Force 1593 & Magnaflow exhaust for that healthy American sound. Before SC 354 RWHP, after SC 484 RWHP. That's all I can do and still pass California smog.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
Fluffy

Member #68058

My Corvette(s)
JSB 2008 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
I saw a bit on the local news this morning where an anchorwoman about 30 interviewed a local radio talk show host who comes on every Thursday to discuss current events. He listed all the reasons he thought women in combat was insane - it's an old list:
1. On average women are not nearly as strong as men. Carrying the equipment in battle conditions alone makes it questionable.
2. Captured women will undoubtedly be sexually assaulted which would not only be horrible for them, but could be used to extract info from captured male soldiers.
3. Combat units train as a team - especially special ops type teams. What happens when they have trained for a year or two for a specific purpose and the woman gets pregnant in the weeks before their skills are needed? The team will not be as effective with a substitute or fewer team members.

Well, the anchorwoman was breathing fire. She felt this was the most sexist stuff she had ever heard and anyone who believed like this guy was some kind of neanderthal. Personally, I think those are all good points. But, if the military really thinks this can work and isn't just doing it for social correctness (doubtful), I'm OK with it.
That anchorwoman can go for 6 months with a seal team and we'll have a discussion after that.
Fluffy is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Rayman XIII
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.