Five reasons the new Corvette will stay an old man's car (AW article) - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #16
DarthAWM
DC Crew

Member #83845

My Corvette(s)
2003 Torch Red 6 speed coupe

I am an anachronism. I know I am a person who is not of the modern age. I appreciate how computerized fuel injection and timing maximize power and fuel economy. I am amazed at how an engineer(or series of them) figured out how to use weights and springs to adjust ignition timing versus RPM. I love the mechanical over the electronic.

With that said I love the C7, I accepted it much faster than the C6. I must have taken me a year before I really started thinking the C6 looked good. The C7 has some draw backs: cylinder deactivation(heavy, not really necessary IMHO), and the rear end(It doesn't scream Corvette to me). But the pluses out weigh those to me. Massively torquey motor(only 20 ft-lb off the LS7) Sleek, aggressive side and front views and a beautiful interior(I was one who thought the C6 interior was pretty darn good) and the high tech gauges really impress me.

At 36 I'm younger than most here and providing oil stays over $70 a barrel I figure on owning one before I'm 40, 38 if things work right.
DarthAWM is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
America is all about speed.
Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanore Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
kRoNiX
DC Crew

Member #120476

I've loved Corvettes since I was 14, and i'm 28 now....
kRoNiX is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to kRoNiX For This Useful Post:
dreamcars99 (01-25-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #18
KennyGS
DC Crew

Member #105698

My Corvette(s)
2010 Grand Sport Coupe (M6)

Hilarious! Prognosticating about GM's target demographic for a $60K car, and why it won't be a "young customer."
KennyGS is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #19
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthAWM View Post
I am an anachronism. I know I am a person who is not of the modern age. I appreciate how computerized fuel injection and timing maximize power and fuel economy. I am amazed at how an engineer(or series of them) figured out how to use weights and springs to adjust ignition timing versus RPM. I love the mechanical over the electronic.

With that said I love the C7, I accepted it much faster than the C6. I must have taken me a year before I really started thinking the C6 looked good. The C7 has some draw backs: cylinder deactivation(heavy, not really necessary IMHO), and the rear end(It doesn't scream Corvette to me). But the pluses out weigh those to me. Massively torquey motor(only 20 ft-lb off the LS7) Sleek, aggressive side and front views and a beautiful interior(I was one who thought the C6 interior was pretty darn good) and the high tech gauges really impress me.

At 36 I'm younger than most here and providing oil stays over $70 a barrel I figure on owning one before I'm 40, 38 if things work right.
There are two fuel economy technologies that GM is using (one it seems GM has gotten the hint and is dumping). AFM adds cost, complexity, weight, NVH issues and really not much benefit with regard to fuel economy. IMHO if they went with a concentric camshaft VVT system instead of AFM it would be lighter, more powerful, and get the same fuel economy. Though we would have to wait and see how they improved the system in the Gen V engines.

Eassist has been a huge miss for GM, as a result GM announced not that long ago that it will stop making hybrids (ranged extended EV or EV only now). The Malibu with the Eassist system cost $3,000-$5,000 more then its competitors and yet doesn't get better fuel economy then them. Honda and Nissan took the route of reduced mass and CVT and the Accord is rated at 27/36 (this is a big car too). Nissan gets 27/38 from its CVT I-4 powertrain combo which blows Eassist out of the water and for a huge discount over Eassist. Ford went with a 1.6T engine which is also a good route to take, it has the power and torque of the Honda and Nissan 2.5L and without a CVT (which some people hate) it gets 25/37. Mazda went the route of an extreme I-4 engine (13:1 compression ratio on 87 octane).

Now it looks as though GMs 1.6T engine which they use in Europe is making its way to the US and the Malibu is on the list to get it.
Roadkillz is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. " Aristotle
Old 01-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #20
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGS View Post
Hilarious! Prognosticating about GM's target demographic for a $60K car, and why it won't be a "young customer."
I see lots of flaws in this article, basically what he stated probably only really applies to him and the people in the part of the country that he lives in.
Roadkillz is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. " Aristotle
Old 01-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #21
Aleem 1983
DC Crew

Member #14577

My Corvette(s)
1995 Chevy Blazer (Sold) 2006 Honda Accord Coupe V6 (Current)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK 1 View Post
I really dont care what they say, Longtimer and I will drive the C7 with pride!

BLK 1
Ahhhhhhhhh how I love the trouble
Aleem 1983 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Not All Womens Minds Are Engineered With The Balanced Abilty To Compromise & Understand, So, Like Any Other Obstruction In The Road Of Life, You Have To Learn How To Steer Around Them"
Old 01-27-2013, 01:42 AM   #22
Fattoys
DC Crew

Member #26010

Being part of many European car clubs I think GM will still have some other problems bringing in this crowd. I know one problem that will be hard to overcome is that the Corvette is under the Chevrolet umbrella. If the C7 becomes successful bringing in the Euro crowd I wonder how long they stay in before they go back? I know many will have gripes bringing their Vette into a Chevy dealer for service, heck I know many owners do this now. I am one who doesnít care and will buy whatever I like + I have never been brand loyal and since 2000 I have owned 42 cars and two of them being corvettes. But I know many Eruo car owners and for some of them itís about the ownership experience and the bragging rights and many have been brain washed that Eruo is better. So for those idiots I am not sure a Corvette is going to fulfill their needs. Observation: Every month when I go to C&C I hear many Euro owners comment on how many mustangs and corvettes are at the events while thinking who cares itís not about that and get over yourself. I feel many have the perception that European cars are better built and will never give the C7 a chance. Other issues: Getting 911 owners to cross over: A lightly optioned new 911 will cost you about 100 to 110k I know Porsche is getting crazy expensive and even a heavy loaded Box-S is about 75k
So I wonder if a person who can afford a P-car at that price point will be moving down to a 60 to 70k C7? The other concern: Sports car sales our on the decline and unfortunately we have a shrinking middle class with a mediocre economy while many are experiencing a shrinking pay check. But one thing GM has going for it, The new C7 is the best two seat performance sports car you can buy under 70kÖ.
Fattoys is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #23
BLK 1

Member #66549

My Corvette(s)
2013 427 Convertible / 2004 6-speed Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleem 1983 View Post
Ahhhhhhhhh how I love the trouble
Longtimer is a great guy on here and he knows I'm just kidding around.

BLK 1
BLK 1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to BLK 1 For This Useful Post:
Longtimer (01-27-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.