Picked up another 3.42......THIS time I want to INSTALL it - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
wascapsfan
DC Crew

Member #116855

My Corvette(s)
99 C5 Vert

Picked up another 3.42......THIS time I want to INSTALL it

So I have purchased a couple of 3 rib 3.42 rears.
I ended up selling the other ones because someone blew a rear each time and was in need...or maybe I just was too lazy to get it installed before that happened each time.
This time I picked up a 52k 3 rib 3.42 and now I want to install it. It is from a 2003 but it is not the 3.42SP. I don't race so I don't think that it is that necessary to have the Shot Peened gears (The added expense is too much for me right now anyway). It came with a couple of pieces that I imagine are already on my 52k C5 but I would like to know what they are. It appears that one of them is a mount (3rd picture at the top looks like a wheel and 4th picture at the bottom looks like a mount).
I am trying to prepare this for the daunting task (the lowering of the transmission is scaring the poop out of me as I don't want to lower it too much and have the engine hit the firewall) of installing this beast. This is a jackstand job as I don't have a lift. The 3.42 came out of a manual and my car is an automatic so I need to remove the seal plate from my 2.73 and install it on the 3.42. Before it goes in, can I get some input on what I should do to it prior to installing it (i.e. seals, gaskets, fill material, etc...)

Last edited by wascapsfan; 01-22-2013 at 02:36 PM.
wascapsfan is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
wascapsfan
DC Crew

Member #116855

My Corvette(s)
99 C5 Vert

I'm SO ALOOOOONE!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
DarthAWM
DC Crew

Member #83845

My Corvette(s)
2003 Torch Red 6 speed coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wascapsfan View Post

Why does that look like a stator to a jet pump?
DarthAWM is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
America is all about speed.
Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanore Roosevelt
Old 01-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
The Dude
DC Crew

Member #120318

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

Looks to me to be the mount that sits in the rear sub frame and a torque brace but I'm not positive. I plan to do my clutch in a couple weeks and have been studying up myself.

Read these links and you will see alot of what you will find when you get into this. Don't let it all scare you as its all very doable for anybody who has the time and paitence.

http://www.smokinvette.com/corvette/...a-c5-corvette/

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...-installation/

http://www.iammoon.com/c5clutch/c5_clutch.htm

If you read these and do some studying under the car before you start you should be fine.

Also, take note when they say that its a great time to replace the fluids when its all out. No pump needed then.

Hope this helps some.

The Dude is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Rock on!
No...I can't spell...I'm a RedNeck!
Old 01-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #5
wascapsfan
DC Crew

Member #116855

My Corvette(s)
99 C5 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5 Dude View Post
Looks to me to be the mount that sits in the rear sub frame and a torque brace but I'm not positive. I plan to do my clutch in a couple weeks and have been studying up myself.

Read these links and you will see alot of what you will find when you get into this. Don't let it all scare you as its all very doable for anybody who has the time and paitence.

http://www.smokinvette.com/corvette/...a-c5-corvette/

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...-installation/

http://www.iammoon.com/c5clutch/c5_clutch.htm

If you read these and do some studying under the car before you start you should be fine.

Also, take note when they say that its a great time to replace the fluids when its all out. No pump needed then.

Hope this helps some.

Thanks Dude..... I have an Automatic and I've read conflicting stories of removing the A4 tranny at the same time vs. lowering the whole assembly just a little less than the maximum allowed (so I don't hit the firewall), and just removing the rear end. It seems like a fairly hard job on jackstands but may really be worth it.
I've also heard that it's the perfect time to change the torque converter and have been told that the one from a chevy astro van would be a good compromise since I really don't ever race, except when I pull up next to a young kid in his Mustang. This was Mike Mercury's finding. He seems to be a hell of a nice guy and EXTREMELY knowledgeable.
Could be interesting
Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
The Dude
DC Crew

Member #120318

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wascapsfan View Post
I've also heard that it's the perfect time to change the torque converter and have been told that the one from a chevy astro van would be a good compromise since I really don't ever race, except when I pull up next to a young kid in his Mustang. This was Mike Mercury's finding. He seems to be a hell of a nice guy and EXTREMELY knowledgeable.
Could be interesting

Sorry...thaught you were using a manual but should be close any way.

But as far as the converter, I know that with different gears you will want to change the stall range so that you can take full advantage of them. That said, dont ask me what range you will need, but if you do a little searching and questioning of the shops you will find the right one. Also as for using the van converter, thats something you will most definately want to confirm before you put it in as its not that simple a job to just pop it back out if it turns out to be a dog. Remember, your torque converter is the link between your crank and the trans, if it isn't doing right, you could have real problems with sluggish performance.

So be sure on that one.

Best of luck.
The Dude is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Rock on!
No...I can't spell...I'm a RedNeck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.