A/C buttons pushed in! (How to Fix that.) - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - Technical | Performance | Aftermarket
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C5 Corvette - Technical | Performance | Aftermarket Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
The Dude
DC Crew

Member #120318

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

A/C buttons pushed in! (How to Fix that.)

Why is it doing that! Ever seen this! I know you think itís gone. Broken. Canít be fixed now. But let me show you how I saved buying a new one. Read on and if this happens to you, you can fix it.

First letís get all the tools to pull the center console.

Youíll need a drill with a 3/32 bit. A medium flat head screw driver. A T15 Torx screw driver. A ľ inch drive ratchet with a four inch extension, 10mm socket, 7mm socket, and a 3/16 socket. I use the ľ inch drive ratchet because a 3/8 drive has a little too much torque for the plastic molding that after years breaks VERY easy. So during all of this you need to be very careful and gentle with all the pieces because they are brittle and can break easily. So, if you think you need to be forceful with any piece, DONíT! You shouldnít have to be forceful with any piece if you follow these instructions. Crazy I know!

Now move on.

First take the flat head screw driver and remove the tabs covering the rear console fastening nuts.

Now pop up the cover with the selective ride control and traction control switch.

Now remove the wiring plugging into that cover for the traction control and ride selection.

Put that cover aside and now remove the plug that feeds the extra 12V plug in the armrest console.

Now remove the fastening nuts at the rear of the console and under the cover you just put aside.

Now remove the ash tray by gently tugging on it and pulling it out.

Youíll now see two T15 Torx screws in this compartment. Yours may be a Phillips head.

Now remove those screws. One down deep and one right next to the cigarette lighter.

Now gently lift up on the back of the rear console and slide it back and up and twist it so that the underside is facing the passenger side. This will reveal the plug for the gas cap.

Remove that plug and gently remove the rear console and set it to the side somewhere safe.
Now you can slide the boot down inside the shifter, if you have an automatic I think it just lifts over it.
You will want to tilt the back of the console up slightly to clear the bolts that were under the ride control cover and then slide the console back until all the tabs are out of the dash. The two top tabs are very breakable and have a large lip to hold them in slightly so be careful with them. Then tilt it clockwise to clear the steering wheel and the wiper switch like so.

Now remove the wiring plugged into the cigarette lighter like this.

Now set the front console somewhere safe.
Now you should have a good view of the A/C unit in the dash. It has two 7mm screws holding it in. Remove those and slide the unit out.

Unplug the plug from the back of the unit and take it to your work area.

Now you will be able to see exactly where its broken at. Probably these screw tabs are broken.

This is how you fix that.
First get the unit right by making sure the switches are flush and the unit is closed up just like if it was in perfect working order. Then use some zip ties to hold it together while you work on it like this.

Now remove the old screws from the unit.

Get the drill and drill holes in this area in a good distance apart taking care not to hit any internal parts. There shouldnít be any in this area. Make sure you donít hit any wires either.

Now screw the old screws into these new holes. Should look like this.

Reinstall the unit and test it out before putting it all back together.

Now reinstall the rest of the center console in reverse order. You need to pay attention to the front console piece and only tighten the Torx screws when you have it in place. You also donít put the nuts on and tighten them up until the rear is in place. And remember the rear console piece slides under the front console. Thatís because you put the front console in place lining it up and then tightening the Torx screws before you put the rear console piece in place. Then tighten the nuts. Donít forget to replace the gas cap door wiring by plugging it in before you put the rear console piece in place. Donít let the wiring for the ride control and traction control get caught in the console pieces when you are tightening them down. Then plug them in along with the extra 12V receptacle and snap the cover back in place. Replace the tabs over the rear nuts and youíre done.
Should look like this with all the buttons where they are supposed to be.

The Dude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Rock on!
No...I can't spell...I'm a RedNeck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Spiderpat
Web Head

Member #39596

My Corvette(s)
04 Z06 aka The Black Widow

Nice job. Very innovative
Spiderpat is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
My Black Widow

Most of my patients survive no matter what I do to them
Old 01-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderpat View Post
Nice job. Very innovative
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.