LT-1 install in an '84 - Page 4 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-17-2013, 04:28 AM   #46
BLK 1

Member #66549

My Corvette(s)
2013 427 Convertible / 2004 6-speed Convertible

Really enjoy this thread. Thanks for sharing your build and pictures with us!

BLK 1
BLK 1 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #47
v8vette84
DC Crew

Member #100597

My Corvette(s)

Nice to see you are getting close! I can still remember first firing the LT1 in my 84'. Man was I proud of myself that I got all the wiring correct! haha My 84' is getting gears this winter. Hoping to break 11's this spring/summer! Keep the updates coming! Make sure to take a vid of the first start up!
v8vette84 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #48
BadBlackVett
DC Crew

Member #118110

^^^^^^^^ Gotta know how to fix my current problem. How did you get the steering rack to fit in front of the LT1 harmonic dampener? Right now it is touching and it looks like I will need to cut the mounts loose and slide them forward 1/2-3/4" and then reweld them. Or do I need to use a different year steering rack?
BadBlackVett is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #49
v8vette84
DC Crew

Member #100597

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBlackVett View Post
^^^^^^^^ Gotta know how to fix my current problem. How did you get the steering rack to fit in front of the LT1 harmonic dampener? Right now it is touching and it looks like I will need to cut the mounts loose and slide them forward 1/2-3/4" and then reweld them. Or do I need to use a different year steering rack?
I used the OEM 84 steering rack with a Corvette LT1 hub and balancer. It sits closer to the engine than an F-body or B-body balancer and hub. Idk what hub you are using but thats all I did and it fits just fine. I'm also using OEM 84' motor mounts, not the LT1 corvette ones. I'll be dropping the rear tomorrow hopefully. Gotta get the 3.73's put in!
Old 01-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #50
BadBlackVett
DC Crew

Member #118110

TY. Kinda feel like a tard. I fixed my own problem. I forgot the truss had yet to be installed and the trans and motor were at an odd angle. Truss is installed and about 5/8" clearance on the damper and steering rack.

here are a few pics from today.

This pic I'm especially happy about.

^^^^^ My first foray into fiberglass work. It doesn't look the prettiest but is easily over looked.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #51
BadBlackVett
DC Crew

Member #118110

It's been quite some time since I posted on my build. This has become a real labor of love since I'm dreading the decision to put a fuel injected LT1 in instead of a carbed small block. Anyhow, the worst of the worst is coming to an end.

Winter has passed and the weather is getting warm enough that I can fill the radiator and look for leaks. Mating this LT1 to a '84 chassis is a small nightmare. Everything is a tight fit and routing of wires and heater hoses is a lesson in futility. I have managed to get the LT1 radiator and heater to hoses to fit the '84 heater and A/C locations. I will need to fabricate some braces for the skid bars under the car since the radiator is in the way. At that time I may just install a skid plate under the car since the previous owner four wheeled it at some point. There is a 8x10 section of the floor missing at the heel bend of the driver side. I will need to reglass that area and at some point the interior will get replaced.

My earlier repair to the steering column is not good. I found after the I replaced the upper bearings that the lower bearings were bad too. After same seat time or this winter,. I will buy a new steering column from Ididit or Flaming River and replace it. Right now I am laboring over the wiring situation. I have the engine wiring almost complete and proper. Key piece of advise, don't buy a soldering iron from Harbor Freight. The temp sensor in it shuts it off just before it gets hot enough to melt the solder. I bought a better one and have been soldering away at connections.

Right now I need some real help from the Corvette community. I know the Helm's manual has wiring diagrams in it. I will be getting one at some point, at this moment funds are tight and waiting for a week or more to find get the manual or find out it doesn't have what I am looking for is not a real popular option. My wife is starting to hate this car and several discussions have ended with I will sell the car. I really don't want that. I intend to reciprocate any advice or help in the future to help save someone some time and money. >>>>> I would appreciate if I can get a copy of the chassis diagram for a 1984. I would like to know where certain connections need to go so I can integrate the engine and ECM wiring. <<<<<<

I will be posting some more pics soon, since the last pics were minus a front end. Since the last ones, I have procured a lift from a friend. With it came his two cars and a place for him to work on them. This has helped immensely since I can lean over the car fish wires down and then lift the car and pull them through or vice versa. Best tool ever. My advise to anyone, BUY A LIFT.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #52
BadBlackVett
DC Crew

Member #118110

I forgot to mention, I replaced the brake cylinder and brake booster. The brakes have been bled and new lugnuts installed. I was also working on some minor interior issues too. With all of this wiring will come the installation of the digital gauges and the dash. I previously thought about building a mount for the gauges but have decided to get the old LCD gauge trim and go from there.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:23 AM   #53
BadBlackVett
DC Crew

Member #118110

Custom made fuel lines with quick connects

Custom made transmission lines

I installed a transmission and oil cooler between the radiator and the A/C condenser.

Look passed the blown apart wiring harness. The focus her should be the Lokar throttle cable and new brake system.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:26 AM   #54
BadBlackVett
DC Crew

Member #118110

This is the new 3" exhaust. On the right, you can see the chunk of floor missing from the off road adventure the previous owner had.

More exhaust pics and the tranny pan.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:29 AM   #55
BadBlackVett
DC Crew

Member #118110

pics of the rear suspension wrapped up.

^^^^^^^^^^^Favorite pic, I just love the look of the exhaust and the square tips.

Pics of how the lower portion of the radiator sits in the path of the rub rail braces. I'll show pics of the repaired braces once I get them done.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:31 AM   #56
BadBlackVett
DC Crew

Member #118110

Custom made fan harness. I really love Rock Auto. They have just about everything. The fan connectors along with every other sensor connector is available.

Wiring harness for the electric water pump. Once the relays and fuse block is installed, I will post those pics too.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:08 AM   #57
v8vette84
DC Crew

Member #100597

My Corvette(s)

Nice to see you are getting close to being done! It seems you have been plauged with problems since the start. The swap was pretty cut and dry for me. Few issues here and there but got cleared up pretty quick for the most part.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #58
v8vette84
DC Crew

Member #100597

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBlackVett View Post
It's been quite some time since I posted on my build. This has become a real labor of love since I'm dreading the decision to put a fuel injected LT1 in instead of a carbed small block. Anyhow, the worst of the worst is coming to an end.
Ever since having my carbed Camaro (I went from TBI to a carb) I will never consider a carb again, if I was going to keep the car I was going to return to EFI. (Unless its an old muscle car or something) EFI is just so much better. Better driveability, better starting, better reliability, better mileage. it may seem crappy now but once it done you will not want to go back to carb. I shudder when I see a C4 with a carb. Just not right to me....
Old 04-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #59
87vette70TA
DC Crew

Member #139306

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8vette84 View Post
Ever since having my carbed Camaro (I went from TBI to a carb) I will never consider a carb again, if I was going to keep the car I was going to return to EFI. (Unless its an old muscle car or something) EFI is just so much better. Better driveability, better starting, better reliability, better mileage. it may seem crappy now but once it done you will not want to go back to carb. I shudder when I see a C4 with a carb. Just not right to me....
Its because Few People are left with Carburator knowledge & Tuning Skills.
I grew up around Musclecars, Pro Street Era, When the NMCA Fastest Street Car Shootout started, Everyone Street Raced Nightly around me.
Carbs still work.
In the wrong Hands No. Takes knowledge & skills to use one.
87vette70TA is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2014, 02:05 PM   #60
1963SS
DC Crew

Member #96709

My Corvette(s)
1995 C4

I grew up around carbs also and the main reason they suck is because I can't spell carb********. Whatever. I am very experienced at setting up Carter, Holley, SU's, Strombergs, Weber DCOE's and the like. I would never ever go back to a carb. At best, they are a semi-regulated gas leak.

Great work on the LT1. I've put the LT1 in a Datsun 280Z and I have one in my Impala SS and my Corvette. You'll love the extra power on the top end. I'm glad you didn't do the LS conversion. They are an ugly engine made out of re-cycled Old Milwaukee beer cans. How's that for a legacy?

Whatever happened to the aluminum valve covers? Now you have carbon fiber. I liked your pic of your red engine with the electric water pump and Canton valve covers. I've seen something similar before. On the LT4 I've built for my Vette. If you need any help getting some things to work electrically feel free to ask. I'm sure I've been there, done that, got the refrigerator magnet and the t-shirt.

I've had a time deciding on my valve covers also. My first idea was to take a cheap ole' set of aluminum tall covers, mill out some metal in them and put in some polished stainless inserts. I still like them and may use them yet. We'll see. Confusing.

Trial fit on the engine. I think I still like these better. Shit!!!

The Datsun. A whole lot of fun.......!

At red lights people keep looking around for what's making the ground shake and rumbling it's ass off. They have no idea it's a RICER.

Ricer interior.

1963SS is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

I can only dream of a world where a chicken can cross the road without having his morals questioned.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.