When will we get numbers? - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-30-2013, 04:12 AM   #1
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

When will we get numbers?

Anhone have any idea when GM will release the performance numbers? HP, TQ, or Weight?

I know they will more than likely have a press day and let the mags take them around a course (maybe VIR like the ZL1 launch?), but I would think we should at least be hearing about a media event being scheduled.

I would even expect to start seeing pictures of them on the ring possibly at this point, since the cat is out of the bag on looks anyway.
spd98 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
elegant
DC Crew

Member #4585

My Corvette(s)
2006 Z06

GM is still fining tuning the LT1. When finished, the motor(s) go to the Society of Automative Engineers (SAE) for verification. I am guessing we are months away. Maybe around the Birthday Bash?
elegant is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #3
Chris Draper
DC Crew

Member #3332

As of the NAIAS, they still had a lot of testing to do, including the 24hr durability test.

I'd say 3-4 months (May-June?)
Chris Draper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette Info Center http://corvette-info.tripod.com
Corvette Racing History http://corvette-racing.tripod.com
Corvette Concepts History http://corvette-concepts.tripod.com
Corvette Info Center Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/corvetteinfocenter
Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegant View Post
GM is still fining tuning the LT1. When finished, the motor(s) go to the Society of Automative Engineers (SAE) for verification. I am guessing we are months away. Maybe around the Birthday Bash?
SAE testing is performed at GM power-train. SAE itself doesn't test motors. They are like much like the ASME and only write code and procedures.
The Following User Says Thank You to spd98 For This Useful Post:
elegant (01-31-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
PNHNDLE96CE

Member #14104

My Corvette(s)
96 LT1 Collector Edition

Wow that's a long wait.
PNHNDLE96CE is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 04:22 AM   #6
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Draper View Post
As of the NAIAS, they still had a lot of testing to do, including the 24hr durability test.
Shouldn't that just take approximatly ....24hrs?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
bkuper
DC Crew

Member #16

My Corvette(s)
1994 Dark Metallic Red Coupe, 1989 Bright Red Coupe, 1986 Black Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
Shouldn't that just take approximatly ....24hrs?
Why yes, yes it should.
bkuper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Brian Kuper
Dallas, Texas
http://www.gff.com/

1994 LT1 Coupe (broken and sold)
1989 L98 Coupe (sold)
1986 L98 Coupe (bone yard)
Old 01-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Got my "March" labeled Car and Driver with a pretty good C7 article that interviews most of the GM C7 Culprits. Tadge, Bennion, etc. They seem to confirm that the C7 weight is about 150 lbs more than the C6. Lots of emphasis on the rigidity of the structure being many time that of the C6 because they embraced new ways of making the frame and cradles.

My take away from the engineering talk is that they focused on new tech rigidity and over built it without consideration for weight. Tadge gets defensive about the weight saying that no 450 HP V8 could ever weigh the 3000 lbs that the internet expected. This sort of indicates that the Z?? won't be light either.

Bennion says they never cliniced the exterior design, only the interior. Very clear they did not care what Corvette Loyalists thought. No surprise there.
Longtimer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 01-31-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
Chris Draper
DC Crew

Member #3332

If they saved 99 lbs out of the frame, and like 35-40 from the body structure.....something needed to add aprox 300 lbs to the car for it to be 150lbs heavier. I don't get it. The math just doesn't add up.

The added components of the engine can't be 300 lbs.
Chris Draper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette Info Center http://corvette-info.tripod.com
Corvette Racing History http://corvette-racing.tripod.com
Corvette Concepts History http://corvette-concepts.tripod.com
Corvette Info Center Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/corvetteinfocenter
Old 01-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

One of my local "Corvette Lunch" guys went to the special $150 preview in Detroit and wants to meet to discuss the experience. I have a bad cold so we're going to wait a week or so to meet. I couldn't wait to ask him about the C7 weight. He said they explained it so that he understands why it's heavier, but he doesn't agree with their reasons for their decisions.

By the time we discuss this in detail, my guess is that everyone will know.

Of note... the C&D article also said that there is not a single formed plastic surface in the interior. Even the standard interior is completely wrapped in vinyl. I'm guessing that this is one of the contributors to the weight gain.

Another is that the Engine to Trans tunnel is MUCH heavier to avoid the resonating that the variable displacement system was causing. They also had to add more insulation for the same reasons.
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

From what I have read, the LT1 computers added 25 pounds of weight and to get the AFM more refined on the Corvette the torque tube gained weight. I can see them adding sound deadening material to the car as well in order to reduce the sound.

However this sounds as though they made some choices during development that added weight to the vehicle that probably doesn't have to be there.

Also it is hard to believe that they added as much weight as would need to be added in order to be 150 pounds heavier then the C6. It is as if they are moving the Corvette more toward a GT car and more away from the sports car formula. I also suspect that the 7 speed manual transmission added some weight as well.

Unless this AFM is 1000% better then the current system (which I don't think it will be) AFM is a dead end.....
Roadkillz is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. " Aristotle
Old 01-31-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkillz View Post
From what I have read, the LT1 computers added 25 pounds of weight and to get the AFM more refined on the Corvette the torque tube gained weight. I can see them adding sound deadening material to the car as well in order to reduce the sound.

However this sounds as though they made some choices during development that added weight to the vehicle that probably doesn't have to be there.

Also it is hard to believe that they added as much weight as would need to be added in order to be 150 pounds heavier then the C6. It is as if they are moving the Corvette more toward a GT car and more away from the sports car formula. I also suspect that the 7 speed manual transmission added some weight as well.

Unless this AFM is 1000% better then the current system (which I don't think it will be) AFM is a dead end.....
Yes .. the C&D article did mention the tube in addition to the tunnel and I'm sure the tranny and probably new clutch system added some weight - maybe the launch control and rev match sensors added some weight.

Based on the numbers in the article, which include solid as a brick rigidity, and based on my buddy's preliminary comments (he's owned two C6 Z06s), I'm thinking that many of us are definately going to disagree with some of Tadge's engineering decisions.

I've never been one who wanted a stripped down no power windows, no power seat type of vette, but I certainly didn't want corvette turned into an overweight Plushmobile either. This is just sad.
DC Sponsors

Old 01-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
2011GSSSBlue
DC Crew

Member #117412

My Corvette(s)
2011 Grand Sport

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
Got my "March" labeled Car and Driver with a pretty good C7 article that interviews most of the GM C7 Culprits. Tadge, Bennion, etc. They seem to confirm that the C7 weight is about 150 lbs more than the C6. Lots of emphasis on the rigidity of the structure being many time that of the C6 because they embraced new ways of making the frame and cradles.

My take away from the engineering talk is that they focused on new tech rigidity and over built it without consideration for weight. Tadge gets defensive about the weight saying that no 450 HP V8 could ever weigh the 3000 lbs that the internet expected. This sort of indicates that the Z?? won't be light either.

Bennion says they never cliniced the exterior design, only the interior. Very clear they did not care what Corvette Loyalists thought. No surprise there.
I picked up a car rag (can't remember which one, Road and Track???) at the Doc's office the other day, and was reading through the article they had, and they said the rigidity was like 70% better WITH THE ROOF IN and only 20% with it out....
2011GSSSBlue is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #14
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

I don't have the C&D with me and because I don't care as much about the C7, the numbers are sticking with me. However, I thought they quoted higher references than that. I'll look it up and post when I get home.
DC Sponsors

Old 01-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #15
Roadkillz
Formerly DOC7000

Member #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
Yes .. the C&D article did mention the tube in addition to the tunnel and I'm sure the tranny and probably new clutch system added some weight - maybe the launch control and rev match sensors added some weight.

Based on the numbers in the article, which include solid as a brick rigidity, and based on my buddy's preliminary comments (he's owned two C6 Z06s), I'm thinking that many of us are definately going to disagree with some of Tadge's engineering decisions.

I've never been one who wanted a stripped down no power windows, no power seat type of vette, but I certainly didn't want corvette turned into an overweight Plushmobile either. This is just sad.
If they really wanted a plushmobile then they should have just brought back the XLR......

Let the Corvette be the sports car and let the XLR be the GT....
Roadkillz is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. " Aristotle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.