Counting the polygons: a peek at the C7s rear - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #16
bkuper
DC Crew

Member #16

My Corvette(s)
1994 Dark Metallic Red Coupe, 1989 Bright Red Coupe, 1986 Black Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Draper View Post
1990-2000's everything got rounded edges and fatter.
Sort of like humans?
bkuper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Brian Kuper
Dallas, Texas
http://www.gff.com/

1994 LT1 Coupe (broken and sold)
1989 L98 Coupe (sold)
1986 L98 Coupe (bone yard)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #17
Z06Fiend
DC Crew

Member #5202

My Corvette(s)
'08 Jetstream Blue Z06, '69 Fathom Green small block coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkuper View Post
Sort of like humans?
That's a trend that isn't going to stop....
Z06Fiend is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Don't you know there ain't no devil?....... There's just god when he's drunk.

'99 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe (sold)
'03 Millennium Yellow Z06 (sold)
'07 Atomic Orange Vert (economy casualty)
'08 Jetstream Blue Z06 (accident casualty)
'69 Fathom Greem Coupe

Austin Stingray Sharks

WWW.Oculus-Studios.com
Old 01-30-2013, 06:36 PM   #18
OC Vic
DC Crew

Member #115382

My Corvette(s)
Had a C4 Vert, now waiting for C7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheris View Post
I can't help but think if the C7 were a Lambo design everyone would be creaming over it. Both Lambo and Ferrari have some styling cues that are more about form than function.
That's what I was thinking.

On another note, does anybody subscribe to Automobile magazine? There's some interesting notes in it, written by a former Corvette designer, (Robert Cumberford), who candidly points out how many design cues on early vettes were lifted from other cars. Somebody here did a comparison between the C7 and the 599, and yeah, it has some 599 in it, but that's no reason not to like the C7, unless your one of the snobby wine + cheese set.

I'm not, and would be happy to add a C7 to my blue-collar stable. I have seen more exciting rear ends, (but those were attached to two legs!)
OC Vic is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2001 Viper GTS, saphire w/silver stripes,
Striker Heads, Striker Cam, Jesel r/r's, Edelbrock Headers, Corsa cat-back, Penske tripple-adjustable shocks, Hypercoil springs, lightweight flywheel, Accusump, SSR rims, Baer rotors, Team Tech 5-point harnesses, 578 rwhp, 589 rwtq
Old 01-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #19
monsolo2
DC Crew

Member #35050

My Corvette(s)
Soon... very soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
If Welburn had been around, I guess the C2 would have looked like this:

Fighters are beautiful aircraft, but plane design never has tranlated well to street cars.

We make fun of the fins of the 50's today. Wonder what they'll say about the Art & Science in 60 years.

Lol! There's a bit of a reason for that... planes are meant to go waaaaaay faster than cars where the air properties are much different than what a car sees.
monsolo2 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
You can only have it one way, America... individual freedom or big government. Which is it going to be?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:15 AM   #20
dobrenyr
DC Crew

Member #29319

I guess all these polygons are "fluidic" according to Welburn and Peters. This reminds me of the emperor with no clothes... they just say it is fluidic and everyone believes that.
dobrenyr is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Tricky
The Following User Says Thank You to dobrenyr For This Useful Post:
dreamcars99 (02-09-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #21
OC Vic
DC Crew

Member #115382

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrenyr View Post
I guess all these polygons are "fluidic" according to Welburn and Peters. This reminds me of the emperor with no clothes... they just say it is fluidic and everyone believes that.
Like in that movie "Idiocracy", where everyone in the future is dumbed down past the point of independant reasoning, and just mindlessly repeats advertising jargon?

"
[cabinet has been debating putting water on the plants instead of Brawndo]

Pvt. Joe Bowers: What *are* these electrolytes? Do you even know?
Secretary of State: They're... what they use to make Brawndo!
Pvt. Joe Bowers: But *why* do they use them to make Brawndo?
Secretary of Defense: [raises hand after a pause] Because Brawndo's got electrolytes.

"

Say it with me- "Brawdos' got electrolytes!" That's it.....
Good consumer, good consumer...Now wag your tail and go buy some more Brawndo.

But I'll say it again, (talking to my imaginary audience here) we like things based primarily on emotion, more than science. The human being is emotional, more so than it is rational. Our heart is the engine of our decision making, and our brains are often just the cabose. (Look who you got married to)

Here is an example in regards to cars: If you were strictly rational, and did not make purchasing decisions based on emotions, then when you shop for a car, you'd buy some "Point A to Point B" vehicle, good on gas, supremely safe, that is basically just a transportation appliance. Obviously, we don't use our brains when we shop for a car. Most of us want something exciting, if we can afford it.

What we REALLY do subconsiously when we buy a car is this-
"Wow, that car is sexy! Chicks dig it! I can beat my neighbor's brand "X" car with this baby, oh yeah!"

Then, to appease the rational part of your brain, or sell it to your wife, we follow up with this crap-
"It's really not too bad on gas, it's actually a good value for the money, it's got a decent crash rating, blah, blah, blah"

You weren't attracted to the car for it's miserly fuel usage, nor it's great safety record, nope. That's just the sh*t we sell ourselves (or others) on to justify the purchase.

We initially wanted the car for it's visual emotional whallop. If you haven't realized this about yourself, you haven't been honest! It struck us in the gut when we first saw it, and we were hooked then, at that point. The science of vents had NOTHING to do with it. Thoughts of rational reasons to buy the car come AFTER we already want it. That "want it" feeling is based on the way it looks, primarily.

The point of all this is just to say, that no matter if a particular vent is fluidic, or if it's got electrolytes, etc, it doesn't really matter to me, essentially.The C7 reminds me of a fighter jet, and I want one! The fact that it's efficient, is a great performer, has great seats, lots of fantastic features, the various vents have real functions, it gets decent gas mileage, etc, is just gravy that seals the deal. The sale was already made, before I knew all that stuff.

Some people have a tendency to fall alseep when I am examining a subject in great depth, which is a shame, since they are missing out on my sterling wit, and endless intellect. (!)

So those who prefer a short and sweet shot from the hip, the short verion of this post is,

"I'm gettin a C7, and fk everybody who don't like it"

It's got electrolytes. And fluidic vents.

Striker Heads, Striker Cam, Jesel r/r's, Edelbrock Headers, Corsa cat-back, Penske tripple-adjustable shocks, Hypercoil springs, lightweight flywheel, Accusump, SSR rims, Baer rotors, Team Tech 5-point harnesses, 578 rwhp, 589 rwtq
The Following User Says Thank You to OC Vic For This Useful Post:
dreamcars99 (02-09-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 11:01 AM   #22
dobrenyr
DC Crew

Member #29319

The F-117 Black Jet is not a fighter... it is a bomber...so is this new Corvette.
Just kidding.... but my witt ran away with me.... and is apparently holding me hostage.
Tricky
Old 01-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #23
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

As I mentioned on another thread, Bennion confirmed to Car & Driver that there were no clinics on the exterior design - they were not interested in the opinions of Corvette Loyalists.

During the design development of both the C5 and the C6, there were many clinics on exterior design and the opinions voiced impacted the final result of both.
Longtimer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
The Following User Says Thank You to Longtimer For This Useful Post:
dreamcars99 (02-09-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #24
OC Vic
DC Crew

Member #115382

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
As I mentioned on another thread, Bennion confirmed to Car & Driver that there were no clinics on the exterior design - they were not interested in the opinions of Corvette Loyalists.

During the design development of both the C5 and the C6, there were many clinics on exterior design and the opinions voiced impacted the final result of both.
Longtimer,
I wish I was in one of those clinics! When the C6 was coming out, I was actually hoping it would be pretty retro, like the C2. I had heard hints of that before the C6s' release, but the resemblence turned out to be way remote.

An example of a REALLY retro design that works quite well, was Ford's 2005 "xerox" of the GT40 from the early 60s. That kcked ass! Too bad I couldn't get a new one of those. There' s a special space in my heart for that iconic body shape.

I guess I either like really retro designs, or way modern designs, but the in-between stuff is weak sauce. Do you think a tame, conservative "C6.5" would maintain Corvettes' status as an American icon? I don't know myself....I do know they need sales to be in the 30-40 thousand units yearly, for a healthy business model. Either that, or have an expensive boutique car for an elite few.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #25
Andonis
DC Crew

Member #932

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Vic View Post
Longtimer,
I wish I was in one of those clinics! When the C6 was coming out, I was actually hoping it would be pretty retro, like the C2. I had heard hints of that before the C6s' release, but the resemblence turned out to be way remote.

An example of a REALLY retro design that works quite well, was Ford's 2005 "xerox" of the GT40 from the early 60s. That kcked ass! Too bad I couldn't get a new one of those. There' s a special space in my heart for that iconic body shape.

I guess I either like really retro designs, or way modern designs, but the in-between stuff is weak sauce. Do you think a tame, conservative "C6.5" would maintain Corvettes' status as an American icon? I don't know myself....I do know they need sales to be in the 30-40 thousand units yearly, for a healthy business model. Either that, or have an expensive boutique car for an elite few.

it is interesting that Corvette was never retro, didn't really play its iconic C2 C3 cards yet. and probably never will.
another thing is that although the C7 is no big deal in design, but suddenly all the others look dated. and beautiful or not GM nailed this. this is exactly what the competition needed. we might hate it, we might love it but this will do the job. if the GTR looks conservative or the latest Ferraris then the Vette is perfect. I wonder how long will this design look fresh. (beautiful or not). The only issue is that I can already see signs of "weaknesses" in the interior. It looks a bit too busy. Corvette should take notes from LFA and the new NSX. IMHO those two have the best interior design yet. But then again I might be wrong.
Andonis is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andonis For This Useful Post:
OC Vic (02-03-2013), stinger430 (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #26
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Frankly I'm glad they decided to make some changes to the design rather than just opt for another refinement like Porsche does. There are certainly merits to both policies, but it's rather late in the game for Corvette to adopt the Porsche approach.

If by retro, you mean a Mustang / VW bug type of retro, I'm glad they didn't go down that road. There are some outstanding aftermarket outfits that make some beautiful (and some not) conversions of late model vettes into various 50's and 60's designs with various degrees of coolness.

I'm not a fiend for the Transformers Stingray, but at least it is a forward looking, sleek design in most respects. Some think that concept was a good blend of retro and future. Unfortunately, it was not very aerodynamic or even practical as a production car.

IMO the Vette team gets an "A" for deciding to make a big change. Unfortunately, IMO, their design decisions and execution gets a D- from me.
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Longtimer For This Useful Post:
dreamcars99 (02-09-2013), OC Vic (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #27
dobrenyr
DC Crew

Member #29319

Yes ! Absolutely correct Longtimer ! Execution is everything!

I too wanted a more revolutionary rework of the corvette icon, but with some omage to the past with some classical styling cues, but with some creativity... like..
hideaway headlamps - (not pop-ups !) creativity here
Spit window or at least a hint of it.
roundish rear lamps, but with light pipes like caddy CTS does it
clamshell hoods -
some wow and gotta have it factor.
Tricky
The Following User Says Thank You to dobrenyr For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (02-01-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #28
Chris Draper
DC Crew

Member #3332

Quote:
If by retro, you mean a Mustang / VW bug type of retro, I'm glad they didn't go down that road. There are some outstanding aftermarket outfits that make some beautiful (and some not) conversions of late model vettes into various 50's and 60's designs with various degrees of coolness.
If you want retro, buy an old car (the real thing). All of these "conversions" are like a professional athlete in Joan Rivers body.

Kill them with fire!
Chris Draper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette Info Center http://corvette-info.tripod.com
Corvette Racing History http://corvette-racing.tripod.com
Corvette Concepts History http://corvette-concepts.tripod.com
Corvette Info Center Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/corvetteinfocenter
Old 02-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #29
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Draper View Post
If you want retro, buy an old car (the real thing). All of these "conversions" are like a professional athlete in Joan Rivers body.

Kill them with fire!
Unfortunately, many of them look better than the C7.

I like this one...

...but I would not want to see GM produce it as a new Generation. They need to push the design envelope, not fold and crease someone elses designs.
DC Sponsors

Old 02-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #30
rickv
DC Crew

Member #49979

Quote:
Unfortunately, many of them look better than the C7.

I like this one...

...but I would not want to see GM produce it as a new Generation. They need to push the design envelope, not fold and crease someone elses designs.
The above done properly would've been awesome.
rickv is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.