New Shale Formation in West Texas could Dwarf the Bakken - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

New Shale Formation in West Texas could Dwarf the Bakken

The US shale boom has led some to predict that it will overtake Saudi Arabia as world’s largest oil and gas producer by 2020, thanks to the massive reserves found in plays such as the Bakken Shale of North Dakota, the Marcellus Shale in New York, and the Eagle Ford Shale in Texas; even the newly discovered Tuscaloosa Shale formation in Louisiana holds large potential.

However there is a new shale formation that has been discovered in West Texas which could dwarf all others being drilled in the US at the moment.

The play is known as the Cline Shale play and has been discovered in the Permian Basin.

John Breyer a geologist at Marathon Oil Corp.(NYES: MRO) said that this new discovery could dwarf anything that exists in North Dakota. Ken Morgan, the director of the Texas Christian University Energy Institute, stated that, “it’s like the Eagle Ford on steroids. They haven't even begun. We're just in the toe of this thing.”

Both Devon Energy Corp. (NYSE: DVN) and Chesapeake Energy Corp. (NYSE: CHK)have reported exciting results from exploratory drills in the region. Devon’s tests showed that around 3.6 million barrels of oil could be recovered per square mile, and as the Cline formation covers roughly 9,800 square miles it gives an estimated reserve of more than 30 billion barrels. A fair bit more than the 4.3 billion in the Bakken, or the 3 billion barrels in the Eagle Ford plays.

http://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-Ne...he-Bakken.html
Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

And herein lies our only hope of saving this country. If we capitalize on all of these oil and gas discoveries, we have the ability to not only stop importing energy, but also exporting this energy. And if we properly use the taxes collected from these public resources, we could pay down our national debt while becoming energy self sufficient.
the machine is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine....
The Following User Says Thank You to the machine For This Useful Post:
1N189 (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the machine View Post
And herein lies our only hope of saving this country. If we capitalize on all of these oil and gas discoveries, we have the ability to not only stop importing energy, but also exporting this energy. And if we properly use the taxes collected from these public resources, we could pay down our national debt while becoming energy self sufficient.

But the unicorn and butterfly worshippers won't let it happen...
ArKay99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite. - Ronald Reagan
Old 02-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
MEATHEAD1

Member #48881

My Corvette(s)
ZO6 07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette_Newb View Post
The US shale boom has led some to predict that it will overtake Saudi Arabia as world’s largest oil and gas producer by 2020, thanks to the massive reserves found in plays such as the Bakken Shale of North Dakota, the Marcellus Shale in New York, and the Eagle Ford Shale in Texas; even the newly discovered Tuscaloosa Shale formation in Louisiana holds large potential.

However there is a new shale formation that has been discovered in West Texas which could dwarf all others being drilled in the US at the moment.

The play is known as the Cline Shale play and has been discovered in the Permian Basin.

John Breyer a geologist at Marathon Oil Corp.(NYES: MRO) said that this new discovery could dwarf anything that exists in North Dakota. Ken Morgan, the director of the Texas Christian University Energy Institute, stated that, “it’s like the Eagle Ford on steroids. They haven't even begun. We're just in the toe of this thing.”

Both Devon Energy Corp. (NYSE: DVN) and Chesapeake Energy Corp. (NYSE: CHK)have reported exciting results from exploratory drills in the region. Devon’s tests showed that around 3.6 million barrels of oil could be recovered per square mile, and as the Cline formation covers roughly 9,800 square miles it gives an estimated reserve of more than 30 billion barrels. A fair bit more than the 4.3 billion in the Bakken, or the 3 billion barrels in the Eagle Ford plays.

http://oilprice.com/Latest-Energy-Ne...he-Bakken.html
I could make your head spin on towns that all that have booomed in west texas over this.
MEATHEAD1 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
YES YOU CAN DRIVE IT,,,,JUST MAKE THE FIRST PAYMENT.

I'M a Post Whore <------its official now.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post

But the unicorn and butterfly worshippers won't let it happen...
Yep. The Matt Damons of the world have already decided to make hydraulic fracturing their next big boogie man. Even though the reward is enormous and the proven risks are infinitesimally small, the Hollywood crowd and the Greens will keep finding farmers who claim their water is tainted and do their best to kill the greatest tool invented in the last 50 years to make new wealth. We are going to be told that fracking causes earthquakes and causes well water to catch on fire. A better approach would be to pay attention to real scientific study of the effects of fracking, find out what problems (if any) really exist, and then engineer solutions. The massive amount of energy that can be extracted with this method could reduce our national debt and foreign energy dependence considerably. It remains to be seen if the alarmists will win the day and shut it all down.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Upheval

Member #63633

My Corvette(s)
2007 C6

If this pans out, then maybe I can stay in Texas vs. Brazil every other month. Would rather be closer to home.
Upheval is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
Yep. The Matt Damons of the world have already decided to make hydraulic fracturing their next big boogie man. Even though the reward is enormous and the proven risks are infinitesimally small, the Hollywood crowd and the Greens will keep finding farmers who claim their water is tainted and do their best to kill the greatest tool invented in the last 50 years to make new wealth. We are going to be told that fracking causes earthquakes and causes well water to catch on fire. A better approach would be to pay attention to real scientific study of the effects of fracking, find out what problems (if any) really exist, and then engineer solutions. The massive amount of energy that can be extracted with this method could reduce our national debt and foreign energy dependence considerably. It remains to be seen if the alarmists will win the day and shut it all down.

You know what is funny....my boat mechanic lives up by the lake house in the fingerlakes region. He does not live near the water and so depends on a drilled well for water. There is no fracking allowed in the region yet, but his water will catch fire if you put a match to it. All the water in this region except for that whcih comes from the lakes is horrible. Full of sulfer and natural gas, and tastes like shit.

Fracking is only dnagerous for wells when done improperly. Of course a few bad apples have caused a lot of trouble for the industry, but in the end reality sets in. Fracking is now being seriously considered in NY state and some test wells are being done now. There will certainly be more rules and inspections in NY state but it will happen, and as the public sees that the lunatics were full of shit and fracking is not the horror it was painted to be, it will grow acceptance to the point where the anti frackers become just a stupid little minority who no-one pays attention to.
The gas is comming to the surface anyway. At the lakehouse we have about a dozen seeps that bubble out of the rock under the water at the shoreline. I will be trying to capture that this summer to see how much I get and what I can do with it.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
HardcoreABN
DC Crew

Member #36463

My Corvette(s)
2000 Torch Red/Red Z51 coupe

Quote:
You know what is funny....my boat mechanic lives up by the lake house in the fingerlakes region. He does not live near the water and so depends on a drilled well for water. There is no fracking allowed in the region yet, but his water will catch fire if you put a match to it. All the water in this region except for that whcih comes from the lakes is horrible. Full of sulfer and natural gas, and tastes like shit.

Fracking is only dnagerous for wells when done improperly. Of course a few bad apples have caused a lot of trouble for the industry, but in the end reality sets in. Fracking is now being seriously considered in NY state and some test wells are being done now. There will certainly be more rules and inspections in NY state but it will happen, and as the public sees that the lunatics were full of shit and fracking is not the horror it was painted to be, it will grow acceptance to the point where the anti frackers become just a stupid little minority who no-one pays attention to.
The gas is comming to the surface anyway. At the lakehouse we have about a dozen seeps that bubble out of the rock under the water at the shoreline. I will be trying to capture that this summer to see how much I get and what I can do with it.
That was just the case of Mat Moron's movie. A complete fabrication.
HardcoreABN is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
ASE Certified Automotive Repair Technician in: Suspension and Steering, Brakes, Electrical/Electronic Systems, and Heating and Air Conditioning

402 LS2- Callies Compstar crank/rods, Wiesco pistons, 11.5:1 c/r, Custom 235/250 .621/.595 115+4cam from Martin @ Tick, CNC LS3 heads, Edelbrock Victor water pump, Melling oil pump, Halltech air intake, LS7 MAF, Jet-Hot coated LG long tube headers, Corsa Tigershark exhaust, Hotchkis sway bars, Monster level 3 clutch, return style fuel system, 2 stage nitrous plate system
Old 02-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Quote:

Fracking has been going non-stop in my area for about 7 years. I have at least 6 gas wells under my house fracked at different levels. The closest deposits are over a mile deep. I have never seen, felt or heard anything related to this activity other than the drilling rigs that are visible for the 30 days or so it takes to drill a well. Yes, we have a few farmers who have complained about surface water pollution. But when checked by Texas A&M and the University of Texas, nearly all have proven to be natural methane from deposits much closer to the surface. I think maybe one case out of thousands was shown to be from an improperly cemented casing that leaked. It's going to take some real science to convince me that fracking 5000-10,000 feet down below all of that solid rock is causing surface water pollution.
Fracking has been an ordinary part of the landscape in parts of Texas since the mid-80's with very little negative feedback. Once the process started being used in other states with less energy-friendly governments, the media got the populations all riled up, and for no good reason IMO.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
Quote:

The natural gas you may be speaking of is probably methane. A by-product of decaying organic compounds. I bet if you held a match up to those bubble streams coming up in your lake they'd pop... it also smells like ass and makes the wayer taste like it.

What needs to get done is someone or a group of individuals needs to show that those azzhats are full of crap and destroying our country while making billions at the expense of the economy by promoting 'junk science' and selling it as a pancea for the environment.
Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite. - Ronald Reagan
Old 02-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
92Roadster

Member #36181

....this would be good......
92Roadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post
The natural gas you may be speaking of is probably methane. A by-product of decaying organic compounds. I bet if you held a match up to those bubble streams coming up in your lake they'd pop... it also smells like ass and makes the wayer taste like it.

What needs to get done is someone or a group of individuals needs to show that those azzhats are full of crap and destroying our country while making billions at the expense of the economy by promoting 'junk science' and selling it as a pancea for the environment.
All natural gas that we use as fuel is methane. The gas that smells bad is actualy hydrogen sulfiied. Methane itself has no odor, the odor is added at the plant to help with detection of gas leaks.

And yes the gas comming out of the lake is flamable....it is my favorite trick....I take a beer bottle and fillit with water. I put the water filled bottle over one of the seeps, and when the bottle has no more water I put my thumb over it. Then I take a lighter and l put it at the end of the bottle remove my thumb and we get a bottle torch that burns for about 10 seconds and ends with a little pop.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
All natural gas that we use as fuel is methane. The gas that smells bad is actualy hydrogen sulfiied. Methane itself has no odor, the odor is added at the plant to help with detection of gas leaks.

And yes the gas comming out of the lake is flamable....it is my favorite trick....I take a beer bottle and fillit with water. I put the water filled bottle over one of the seeps, and when the bottle has no more water I put my thumb over it. Then I take a lighter and l put it at the end of the bottle remove my thumb and we get a bottle torch that burns for about 10 seconds and ends with a little pop.
This has been going on since people learned to dig wells.

Fracing has nothing to do with it.
Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette_Newb View Post
This has been going on since people learned to dig wells.

Fracing has nothing to do with it.
The problem is, the monkeywrenchers saw flames coming out of a faucet one day, then heard about fracking, put 2 and 2 together and came up with 3... but it doesn't mater. They took it and ran with it...like they do everything else...

...dipshits...
Old 02-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #15
DarthAWM
DC Crew

Member #83845

My Corvette(s)
2003 Torch Red 6 speed coupe

Quote:
But what of Fracking, and the Spring Snail and the Dune's Sagebrush Lizard, and the Lesser Prairie Chicken, and Climate Change. All of those are far more important than energy for American households.
DarthAWM is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Never trust a man who won't eat bacon
-Jimmy Dean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.