The Subsidy Addiction: Jobs Vs Foodstamps - Page 5 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #61
92Roadster

Member #36181

...anybody got change for a nickel...
92Roadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #62
The Dude
DC Crew

Member #120318

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreABN View Post
and just what should we do with the little money that will bring in? just spend it on more programs that don't work? The govt spends far too much and has proven it cannot take care of anyone- just look at the American Indians.
Nope. I also feel the government should do away with all entitlement programs. The government is way to big now. All of the little bit, and I think it would be more than you surmise now, but would eventually shrink as the top 1% shrinks, should go toward national defense. In my view the goverment has a much smaller role in our lives than it plays now. Social security, medicaid, and national defense along with the judicial legislative systems are in my opinion its only constitutional role and it has greatly steped out of those bounds. Most of the laws that have been passed in the national congress I believe should have been left up to the states. But they are nosy busy bodies arent they.

The Dude is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Rock on!
No...I can't spell...I'm a RedNeck!
Old 02-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #63
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
They got rich by investing it.
The majority got rich either through their bought and paid for political interests or the old fashioned way, stepping on a lot of people on the way up. Not all, but a great many.
Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #64
The Dude
DC Crew

Member #120318

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

Quote:
I agree with everything your article says. We ARE in different times from the Reagan years, and solutions will be different. But I completely disagree with onerus confiscation of wealth. I've said I could live with some higher taxes on the super rich, but the amount of money out there for confiscation is not enough to solve our problems. Our problems are on the spending side. No amount of taxation is going to close the gap. As for massive estate taxes on those with over $100M in assets? Too few people would be involved to make any real difference. All of these solutions are kind of like the Bolshevik Revolution. In 1917 Russia, they just KNEW if they took all that excess wealth from the rich folks that everyone else would do just fine. Didn't work out then, and will never work out. All of your arguments simply say you aren't willing to attack the REAL problem of spending because it is likely to be painful for all of us. It would be nice if only 1% of us had to feel pain. But that is wishful thinking.
Your right, it wouldn't make a real difference in the revenue from one guy, but it would in the grand scheme. You have to step out of the box and think about the companies and the people they will hire when the uber congomerants that make up the 1% and are running fine with current staff decide to slow down and leave open territories that now new companies that have to hire will fill. Slow one down and now you open the door for many that was previously blocked by a enormous powerful monster of a corporation. Its like cutting back an out of control red oak tree that is flourishing but all the while sucking up all the moisture around and killing all the lower flowers and grass under it not leaving any room for any growth around it. If you cut that tree back correctly, it will flourish "AND" so will the rest of the yard.

We are the grass and the weeds ......get it.
Rock on!
The Following User Says Thank You to The Dude For This Useful Post:
Vette_Newb (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #65
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

Quote:
I agree with everything your article says. We ARE in different times from the Reagan years, and solutions will be different. But I completely disagree with onerus confiscation of wealth. I've said I could live with some higher taxes on the super rich, but the amount of money out there for confiscation is not enough to solve our problems. Our problems are on the spending side. No amount of taxation is going to close the gap. As for massive estate taxes on those with over $100M in assets? Too few people would be involved to make any real difference. All of these solutions are kind of like the Bolshevik Revolution. In 1917 Russia, they just KNEW if they took all that excess wealth from the rich folks that everyone else would do just fine. Didn't work out then, and will never work out. All of your arguments simply say you aren't willing to attack the REAL problem of spending because it is likely to be painful for all of us. It would be nice if only 1% of us had to feel pain. But that is wishful thinking.
Tex you are looking at this the wrong way....It isn't the taxed money that will pay off the debt, it is the added economic activity. You are completely correct that when tax rates were 90% the rich had ways to shield their money from the tax man, and it involved putting that money back into the economy. It was well worth paying your employees more because your employees would work harder for you, you would get the best employees in the world and your money wasn't all going to uncle sam. It was well worth donating a couple million to the high school you graduated from or the clooege you graduated from because you got your name on a wing or the entire school and your money wasn't going to uncle sam. It was well worth starting some foundation, that reaserched diseases that plagued us, because it was well worth the money and uncle sam didn't get it.

And this isn't about government spending, it's again about getting the money moving.

As for your claim that the riches money isn't sitting under their bed....no lots of it is sitting on their walls in the form of the largest private art collections in the world. lots of it is in antique furniture,and Lots of is sitting in wine cellars full of wine that will never be drunk, or in investments that do nothing for anyone in this country....like buying Chinese bonds or putting their money in swiss bank accounts. Then again, lots of it is going to congressmen, that will do anything they ask....especialy to keep their tax rates down, so they can keep hording their money.
the machine is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine....
Old 02-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #66
the machine

Member #67421

My Corvette(s)
1966 Big Block Vert, 2008 Z06, 1969 435 , 1959 vert. Non vette ...2011 CTS-V wgn, 2014 silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5 Dude View Post
Your right, it wouldn't make a real difference in the revenue from one guy, but it would in the grand scheme. You have to step out of the box and think about the companies and the people they will hire when the uber congomerants that make up the 1% and are running fine with current staff decide to slow down and leave open territories that now new companies that have to hire will fill. Slow one down and now you open the door for many that was previously blocked by a enormous powerful monster of a corporation. Its like cutting back an out of control red oak tree that is flourishing but all the while sucking up all the moisture around and killing all the lower flowers and grass under it not leaving any room for any growth around it. If you cut that tree back correctly, it will flourish "AND" so will the rest of the yard.

Great analogy.
the machine is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Welcome to the Machine....
Old 02-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #67
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
Quote:

One word...Monsanto...
ArKay99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite. - Ronald Reagan
Old 02-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #68
The Dude
DC Crew

Member #120318

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post
One word...Monsanto...
Do you mean the Monsanto plant here in TX....

I hear its a some what dangerous place to work. They have had a few explosions but inspectors are reporting that it has gotten better and safer to work at....
Rock on!
Old 02-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #69
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
Quote:
Do you mean the Monsanto plant here in TX....

I hear its a some what dangerous place to work. They have had a few explosions but inspectors are reporting that it has gotten better and safer to work at....
Not exactly...They are they purveyors of GMO seeds that sprout and grow, but don't produce seed of their own. Look into Monsanto's monopoly and it will curl your hair... They are the evilest of the evil empires...
ArKay99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite. - Ronald Reagan
Old 02-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #70
The Dude
DC Crew

Member #120318

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Roadster View Post
...anybody got change for a nickel...
How did you get a nickel!!
Rock on!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #71
HardcoreABN
DC Crew

Member #36463

My Corvette(s)
2000 Torch Red/Red Z51 coupe

Quote:
How did you get a nickel!!
He couldn't possibly have a nickle, because I have 3 so there are none for him....
HardcoreABN is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
ASE Certified Automotive Repair Technician in: Suspension and Steering, Brakes, Electrical/Electronic Systems, and Heating and Air Conditioning

402 LS2- Callies Compstar crank/rods, Wiesco pistons, 11.5:1 c/r, Custom 235/250 .621/.595 115+4cam from Martin @ Tick, CNC LS3 heads, Edelbrock Victor water pump, Melling oil pump, Halltech air intake, LS7 MAF, Jet-Hot coated LG long tube headers, Corsa Tigershark exhaust, Hotchkis sway bars, Monster level 3 clutch, return style fuel system, 2 stage nitrous plate system
Old 02-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #72
mbwalker

Member #7872

My Corvette(s)
96 LT4 sold, 04 sold, 08 flooded (RIP), 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette_Newb View Post
It's pretty simple, for the economy to work correctly and produce jobs/wealth, the money has to stay in circulation, full circle.

We have bad energy policy, we have bad monetary policy, we have bad domestic policy. Perfect storm.. and all the western economies are doing the exact same thing. Once one breaks away (probably Germany) the whole house of cards comes tumbling down.

Is it better for one guy to have $10 billion, or 10000 guys to have $1 million?
Depends on if you are the "giver" or "taker". At some point there won't be anymore "givers".

I think it was a couple of months ago it was reported, if all the welfare was simply turned over, each recipient would get something in the order of $60K/yr. I'm probably wrong - didn't look it up, but it was a very substantial amount.
mbwalker is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #73
The Dude
DC Crew

Member #120318

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbwalker View Post
Depends on if you are the "giver" or "taker". At some point there won't be anymore "givers".

I think it was a couple of months ago it was reported, if all the welfare was simply turned over, each recipient would get something in the order of $60K/yr. I'm probably wrong - didn't look it up, but it was a very substantial amount.
I disagree. I have only ever been a giver, never have been a taker. But my argument is not about entitlements. As I said earlier, they should be done away with at the Fed level and handled by the state and local charities.

This is about managing the economy. Not allowing money to sit in one place too long to be squandered instead of being put back iinto the economy. Corporations that make hundreds of billions of dollars a year and grow too big to be allowed to fail is a indicator or poor economic management by any administration.

You control this by taxation. I know thats taboo to say, but that is the only way to keep a lid on organizations and corporations from sitting on money instead of moving it back into the economy and growing too big.

Redneck out....
Rock on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.