Home from NC with my prize, long version - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
wedgeheaded
DC Crew

Member #120632

My Corvette(s)
none yet

Home from NC with my prize, long version

I thought I'd fill you all in on my adventure. I went to NC to PU my 90 vert on sun. It snowed sat night and we didn't even get out to church on sun morning. But, the road was cleared out by 11:00 and the weather report said fair to good conditions so we hit the trail. We were going to go after services so we actually left early. I'm in WV, about an hr below Pittsburg, PA, along the Ohio River. We had to go through Beckley, Bluefield, and Wytheville to get there. We had some snow and blow through there too. Anyway, we got there before dark, looked it over, drove it, bought it, and headed north. We stopped in Mt Arie, NC and found a motel and a place to eat. Got up this morning and gassed up. (the seller had just filled the tank and there was a good 3/4 tank of gas still in it) WOOHOO. I drove straight through stopping only for a few rest stops and lunch. Made it home by 2:00 pm. Checked my MPGs ang got 22.98, (I'm going to call it 23) Not bad for needing a tune up and mostly all up hill. Everything that was important worked. The DS seat operates and the PS tries but you have to help it. Probably worn gears. Cruise worked, heater worked, wipers, good brakes, everything important worked fine. (I think some of the stuff is more me not knowing what I'm doing) The one problem I had was, I'd had the seller show me how the roof worked. Because of the cold, the top was tight and had shrunk. Between that and the stiff grease on the latches on the deck, my top kept comming loose. Talk about a draft. I had to stop several times and fix it. At this point I hadn't figured out how the heat worked and was about frozen. After I discovered the "set" part of the heat switch and got it on, it warmed up. That warmed the latches and relaxed the top some. Everything was fine after that. The roads had all frozen dry today and I never even got into any mess till I got on our road. All in all, great trip and a great driver/fixer upper. Oh yea, I washed it and put it to bed for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	90 vette 1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	2880  
wedgeheaded is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
C3C6 Norm
DC Crew

Member #120419

My Corvette(s)
C2 C3 C5(2) C6 and a C7 on the way

Looks nice, like that faded start hood stripe. Good luck with it, have fun, you're just getting started.....
C3C6 Norm is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
USAF Veteran/USCG Retired

USA USN USMC USCG USAF USAR USNR USMCR USCGR USAFR ARNG ANG USPHS NOAA USMM AUS CSA Police/Fire/EMS/EMT

Thank You For Your Service
Old 02-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
raidmagic
DC Crew

Member #1067

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

Congrats, good stuff. You have to feel good about a long trip with 0 issues. As for the top, it doesn't get that cold here to have those problems.
raidmagic is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sampson 9/22/97-1/1/05

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read

Florida muscle car enthusiast click here
Old 02-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
87vette81big
DC Crew

Member #117927

My Corvette(s)
1987 Corvette Convertible

Congrats !!

The funny thing is, I bought my 87 C4 Vert in 2007, it was February 4.
It snowed & snowed all January & early Feb that year.
Dealer parking lot had snow 3 to 4 feet high everywhere.
I dug my car out. Warmed it up & drove home 40 miles down I-80. State Police along with everyone else stared at me driving a bright Red Vette with snow falling. 1 IL State cop was in the ditch & his Crown Vic on its side.
I drove by & waved HI to Him( standing outside & waiting for a tow truck).
He did not appear to in a very good mood.

C4's have an excellent weight distribution stock.
51% front. 49 % rear.
Rear suspension gives lots of Anti squat or traction as long as rear wheels are not breaking loose spinning wild burning rubber.

One tip, never ever lower the Convertible top when near 32 F or below. Top does not want to latch front or rear easily.
A small amount of Petroleum Jelly- Vasoline or Napa Sly- Glide applied to latches & pins keeps mine working free all the time.

Power steering issues are common on C4's with age.
I flushed my Power steering system & refilled with Royal Purple Power steering fluid.
Never any issues, leaks, Rack & pinion leaks, hard spots while turning, or squeals.

BR
87vette81big is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
wildcatlock
DC Crew

Member #117437

My Corvette(s)
86e w/91 facias soon to be GS replica and now a 90

Congrats on the trouble free ride home. Sonds like you got a solid car. Now that it is put to bed for awhile you can start researching the SRS (airbag) problems known on 90 vettes. That way if it pops up you will be prepared to deal with it. Preventive measures will stop it from happening. Get us some better pics to drool over. Any mods planned yet?
wildcatlock is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
jesters94
DC Crew

Member #119130

My Corvette(s)
1994 Brickyard 400 parade car

Congrats and welcome....glad to hear you made it home safe
jesters94 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1 of 25 1994 Brickyard 400 parade cars

http://s12.beta.photobucket.com/user...d%20pace%20car
Old 02-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
wedgeheaded
DC Crew

Member #120632

My Corvette(s)
none yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatlock View Post
Congrats on the trouble free ride home. Sonds like you got a solid car. Now that it is put to bed for awhile you can start researching the SRS (airbag) problems known on 90 vettes. That way if it pops up you will be prepared to deal with it. Preventive measures will stop it from happening. Get us some better pics to drool over. Any mods planned yet?
Man, I'm so new to all this vette stuff. What is an SRS? The guy I bought it from just flipped the car but the PO did a bunch to it. New computer, AC compressor, motor and trans rebuild, (2yrs ago-20-30K miles) New rear tires, newer fronts, paint, leather seat skins, top, he might have delt with it and other issues. It has two warning lights, check engine and change oil. (probably just needs both reset-checked oil and it was both clean and fresh) I figured to do a good tune up with fresh filters and fluids when the weather's better.
As far as plans go, the paint is not so great. Who ever painted it got some dirt and lots of orange peel. I'll block the paint with 1000 grit wet/dry paper and if there's any clear left, I'll buff it out. If not I'll re-clear it. That's no biggie. I don't like the sound, it needs FlowMasters. It also needs a GOOD cleaning. Inside, the interior is sticky/dirty. The dash is not cracked but it's not flat like it should be, too much sun I'd wager. That may be something I'll just live with though. The carpet may have to be replaced but a re-dye might fix a lot. Lots of little things need made right and tidied up. It has Z06 wheels which look nice. I like the deep dish look on C4s so I might try to sell/trade my wheels. The pics I have of the car were provided by my seller. He got them from the PO. It was easily well worth the price but not as clean as expected. Still, it ran and drove great. Rode much better than I expected too.
I'm Mopar to the core. Cut me and I'll bleed tor-red. But, Mopar doesn't have a sports car. Corvette IS America's sports car. I'm proud to own one. It's great! I honestly can't quit thinking about it.
On another note, I'm a big beliver in prayer. I try to bring God into every aspect of my life. My car hobby included. I was watching to see God open or close doors on this car to help me determine his will for me concerning it. Money, timming, location, (although a long drive, 6hrs each way, it was basicly I77 south) and weather all entered into my thinking. Having said that, we got a brake in the weather yesterday, and within an hr of getting home, it started snowing. Pouring, has been ever since. God is good and I'm glad He's mine. I'm looking forward to pretty weather too. Now more than ever.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
wildcatlock
DC Crew

Member #117437

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgeheaded View Post
Man, I'm so new to all this vette stuff. What is an SRS?
SRS is the airbag system - stands for suplemental restraint system. The only reason I mention it is there are known well documented issues with that system and 90 is a one year only system. It was one of the first airbag systems GM did in a production car ( along with the 90 cadillac IIRC ) and it had some problems. The biggest is the sensors on the framerails being installed dry. After a few years they get corroded and the system wont pass the starup check and sets a light on the info center. Most dealers now dont know how to fix ( or dont want to sepnd the money ) so they pull the bulb. A dead givaway is the seatbelt light in the guage display. If there is an issue with hte airbag system the red "fasten belts" light will not go out. If all is right and correct the "fasten belts" light should light up and stay lit until belts are fastened or about 30 sec. whichever comes first. I have seen far too many 90's either have both lights not light up at all or the belt light never go out. Simple fix if sensors are good is to remove them, clean them and the frame points of corrosion and reinstall with some anti seize to prevent corrosion. GM did this step starting in 91 but not on 90. If the sensors are bad they are getting hard to find and not real cheap when you do find them. The "DERM" module is also a 90 only part and they are very expensive, though now I think you can have them reset. They were designed as disposable and to be replaced after airbag deployment. Just read up here (use the search bar at the top of the screen) on any of the posts having to do with a 90 and you will be fine. I have had a few 90's and been through alot of the problems so if you need anything just PM me. Sound like a real solid car with only cosmetic issues to address. Congrats again.
The Following User Says Thank You to wildcatlock For This Useful Post:
wedgeheaded (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
DJS
DC Crew

Member #78222

My Corvette(s)
c4

If the car has the RPO Z51 option it will have the fast steering rack.
2 turns lock to lock + alot of caster in the front suspension & wide tires will = heavy steering when not rolling.

Drive it like a manual steering car, let it roll a bit while working the wheel.

Plenty of info on the air bag system. Favorite problem is dirty sensors.

You need a factory service manual get the one with a red cover.

RPO numbers are under the center console lid.
DJS is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to DJS For This Useful Post:
wedgeheaded (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
wedgeheaded
DC Crew

Member #120632

My Corvette(s)
none yet

Well, now that you mention it, I did notice the little seatbelt icon lit up all the way home. I'll add this to my list. In a Mopar, I'd look under the back seat for a build sheet to see how the car left the assembly plant. Having no back seat, I'm lost. Do they even have a build sheet? I looked but I didn't find a window sticker in the glove box. I ran the VIN but it just tells me what I know.
I looked closer today and was wondering why part of the car seemed to have a decent paint job and the rest orange peeled. Somebody had started color sanding and quit. It's a lot of work but well worth the effort. I'll finish what they started and it'll look like glass when I'm done. (regular glass, not fiberglass. I need to quit sanding long before it looks like fiberglass) I am excited about this car.
I honestly don't understand why the C4 gets so little respect. Guys from the other camps, like me, seem to appreciate them more than GM guys do. This is a seriously cool car. I was looking at Stealth R/T TT cars and one in this condition would have cost me a lot more. This car is a vert too. I think the GM world is going to wake up some day and realize what they've been overlooking.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #11
wedgeheaded
DC Crew

Member #120632

My Corvette(s)
none yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post
If the car has the RPO Z51 option it will have the fast steering rack.
2 turns lock to lock + alot of caster in the front suspension & wide tires will = heavy steering when not rolling.

Drive it like a manual steering car, let it roll a bit while working the wheel.

Plenty of info on the air bag system. Favorite problem is dirty sensors.

You need a factory service manual get the one with a red cover.

RPO numbers are under the center console lid.
I just now remembered a vette buddy from work using the term "RPO numbers" - regular production order numbers-Corvette speak for build sheet. I'm slow on the draw today.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #12
DJS
DC Crew

Member #78222

My Corvette(s)
c4

The seat belt light will go off when you correct the air bag light, its part of the "very strange, don't have a clue why they did it that way" wireing system.

If the fuel tank has not been removed there should be a build sheet on the top of the tank. RPO #'s cover everything as far as equipment & options.

THe Corvette museum can supply a build sheet for a price.

Grats on the 90 have one myself, 6sp coupe. Basically a one year car that nobody seems to care much about cept those of us that have one. Last year C4 with round tail lights & first year for the new style cockpit interior.
DJS is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 05:15 AM   #13
wedgeheaded
DC Crew

Member #120632

My Corvette(s)
none yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post
The seat belt light will go off when you correct the air bag light, its part of the "very strange, don't have a clue why they did it that way" wireing system.

If the fuel tank has not been removed there should be a build sheet on the top of the tank. RPO #'s cover everything as far as equipment & options.

THe Corvette museum can supply a build sheet for a price.

Grats on the 90 have one myself, 6sp coupe. Basically a one year car that nobody seems to care much about cept those of us that have one. Last year C4 with round tail lights & first year for the new style cockpit interior.

Yea. I liked the cockpit interior but wanted to stay away from the opti-spark. That only left me 90-91 as my preferance. I'd have bought anything if the price was right though. I have a lot to learn. This is why I've stuck with what I knew. This is kinda like a walk on the wild side for me.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
tombrammer
DC Crew

Member #68442

"I'm in WV, about an hr below Pittsburg, PA, along the Ohio River. We had to go through Beckley"
Congrats on the vett, I love the C4's, really sleek looking cars, great suspension etc. I have been thru Beckley many times, have a sister in Va. beautiful country, great place to own a vett and drive it on those twisties. Hope you really enjoy you "new" car.
tombrammer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
wildcatlock
DC Crew

Member #117437

My Corvette(s)

There should be a white sticker inside the center console on the inside of the lid. It will have ALOT of three digit alpha-numeric "codes". Write them all down, they are your RPO codes, and will tell you alot about the car and how it was built. That is if it was never removed or the lid never replaced ( they are a common broken item). There is also one on the top of the fuel tank and usually one stuffed in the "k" member. I would look for the one on the tank first ( if the console has no sticker). Looks as though you have some reading to do now. If you get stuck or have questions there are many here on DC that can help, Alot of very smart knowlageable people here. Saved my butt many times. Now I try to repay the favor by helping where I can.
The Following User Says Thank You to wildcatlock For This Useful Post:
wedgeheaded (02-06-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.