Safety Harness Help - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > General Corvette Topics > Corvette Road Racing / Drag Racing / Autocross / HPDE
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

Corvette Road Racing / Drag Racing / Autocross / HPDE
Discuss racing, car prep, racing schools, HPDE's, and other track topics.

Sponsored by: Pfadt Race Engineering
Pfadt Race Engineering

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
DarthAWM
DC Crew

Member #83845

My Corvette(s)
2003 Torch Red 6 speed coupe, 2000 Bowing Green Metalic Auto Coupe

Safety Harness Help

I've tried shopping on my own but its confusing as all hell.

Here is what I have. 2-Corbeau A4s 1-harness bar of unknown make(I can provide pics if wanted)

What I want, red belts, 6 point(or 7) cam lock preferable.

How do I size this, how do I tell what type of mounting I need?
DarthAWM is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
America is all about speed.
Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanore Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
DarthAWM
DC Crew

Member #83845

My Corvette(s)
2003 Torch Red 6 speed coupe, 2000 Bowing Green Metalic Auto Coupe

Hello?

Ok the harness bar is identical to the Brey Krause R-1115
DarthAWM is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
America is all about speed.
Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanore Roosevelt
Old 02-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
HardcoreABN
DC Crew

Member #36463

My Corvette(s)
2000 Torch Red/Red Z51 coupe

why 6 or 7 point? 5 point works fine and is more comfortable for daily use....unless this is for racecar....
HardcoreABN is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
ASE Certified Automotive Repair Technician in: Suspension and Steering, Brakes, Electrical/Electronic Systems, and Heating and Air Conditioning

402 LS2- Callies Compstar crank/rods, Wiesco pistons, 11.5:1 c/r, Custom 235/250 .621/.595 115+4cam from Martin @ Tick, CNC LS3 heads, Edelbrock Victor water pump, Melling oil pump, Halltech air intake, LS7 MAF, Jet-Hot coated LG long tube headers, Corsa Tigershark exhaust, Hotchkis sway bars, Monster level 3 clutch, return style fuel system, 2 stage nitrous plate system
Old 02-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
Enginerd
DC Crew

Member #118105

My Corvette(s)
72 coupe

Here's one that will work, though you may want something else (link below, there are cheaper ones, different buckle styles, etc.). You'll want one that has bolt-in hardware for the lower straps and wrap-around for the upper that will work with that bar. Of course they don't actually come that way. What you need is either a bolt in style and simply remove the ends and do a wrap-around, or get a wrap-around and buy the bolt-in ends separately. Another option is to bolt the upper ends down and bring the straps up and over the bar (called a guide in this case). Some important points though: the upper straps have to be horizontal (or close to it, SCCA says anything above a 20 degree downward line, from your shoulder) as they reach behind you over your shoulder. This is to prevent spine compression in a crash; extremely important. Also, there are specific ways to mount the ends, regardless of method, and it's not just "something strong." They also can't be splayed out, and anytime a strap has to change direction (from under the seat for example, but not over you, of course) they have to be "guided" by a bar. Bolt-ins have to be in a pulling direction to the mount; no bolting flat to the floor with the strap pulling up, for example, though there are ways to deal with this too, there are special eye-hook setups available. Wrap-arounds have to be wrapped and weaved through the buckle a certain way as well. Another thing you have to consider is how the straps tighten, pull-up or pull-down, different styles of buckle, even different cam lock styles based on manufacturer, etc.

Here's a link to the link for the SCCA rule book. It's a PDF, so I figured it might be better to give you the page's link instead of the PDF itself. Click the "February" link next to the pic and the section you need is "9.3.19. DRIVERíS RESTRAINT SYSTEM" starting on page 89. http://www.scca.com/clubracing/content.cfm?cid=44472

The link for the harness: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vms-751011/overview/

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreABN View Post
why 6 or 7 point? 5 point works fine and is more comfortable for daily use....unless this is for racecar....
5 points aren't fun for those with "stuff" down there...though 6s aren't that much better.
Enginerd is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Fly03Z06

Member #68577

What you are looking for is working perfectly in my 03 Z.

I have the B-K Harness Bar R-1115, Lap belt mount R-9115, entinguisher mount R-2115 with Quick release R-9520 and camera mount R-9010. No additional drilling necessary with the BK's.

Belts are 6-point red Sabelt with lever camlock keeping me planted in my leather Corbeau A4's. I chose the 6 point instead of 5 for mainly two reasons. (1) Did not want extra hole in A4 seat bottom. (2) I have young and or short passengers that would still have too much slack with single belt..............I really do not need my son singing soprano while playing hockey. The 6-point leg straps adjustment accommodates a wider size range for passengers of all sizes, big or small.

I also modified my A4's brackets for correct driver/passenger location with lever on door side. A couple pictures in my photos (left margin), but if you have a specific request........I should be able to accommodate.

Harness belts are dated.....and mine will expire this year. I will be replacing with the same. Also, no-slack proper belt looping and locking around the harness bar is extremely important to the integrity of the system. If I remember correctly, the belt manufacturer provides this info as does SCCA regulation 9.3.19 item H, figures 2-6.

Here is a old article on a installation back in 2001 on a C5.
http://www.bkauto.com/v/vspfiles/ass...rnessmount.pdf
....but beware the harness looping around bar is not correct or meet current SCCA regulations.

Last edited by Fly03Z06; 02-08-2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: dotting eyes and crossing tee's
Fly03Z06 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
04CEcoupe
DC Crew

Member #55327

My Corvette(s)
1995 Torch Red Coupe (previous) 2004 LeMans Blue CE (current)

Great thread and the information was timely as I begin my search for a harness and bar to attach them to.

Save the Wave

Mike
04CEcoupe is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.