Goodbye, Prius? - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #16
rdevaux2007
DC Crew

Member #52923

My Corvette(s)
2007 LMB, 1977 Coupe

My economy car is my C6. It does 32 mpg on the hwy at 70-75mph. Prius cars suck
rdevaux2007 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2007 LMB coupe, m6sp, 3LT.
1977 coupe 4sp
1997 Expedition (sold)
2010 Ford F-150 Supercrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #17
87vette81big
DC Crew

Member #117927

My Corvette(s)
1987 Corvette Convertible

After all these years, its still difficult to top the BTU content of Gasoline or Diesel Fuel per gallon.
Not saying it can not be done.
But no one has yet still today.
87vette81big is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #18
mbwalker

Member #7872

My Corvette(s)
96 LT4 sold, 04 sold, 08 flooded (RIP), 09

I'm surprised more Americans haven't jump on the diesel bandwagon. The European Ford Fiesta ECOnetic gets 65mpg. I'd much rather go that way than a hybrid with expensive batteries that eventually need replaced. I don't know if it's a EPA problem or just the lack of overall interest in diesel.
mbwalker is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #19
Vette_Newb
Account Disabled.

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbwalker View Post
I'm surprised more Americans haven't jump on the diesel bandwagon. The European Ford Fiesta ECOnetic gets 65mpg. I'd much rather go that way than a hybrid with expensive batteries that eventually need replaced. I don't know if it's a EPA problem or just the lack of overall interest in diesel.
I believe it's a government problem. They are hung up on green energy..
Vette_Newb is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors; when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws donít protect you against them, but protect them against you; when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice; you may know that your society is doomed." Ė Ayn Rand
Old 02-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #20
The Dude
DC Crew

Member #120318

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreABN View Post
this. So we will get a Cruz Eco for the wife instead.
Just got my daughter a new Chevy Spark.

The wife drives a Toyota FJ. Its nice.
The Dude is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Rock on!
No...I can't spell...I'm a RedNeck!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #21
mongo
DC Crew

Member #4304

My Corvette(s)
2006 C6, Mont Red/Titanium, F55, MN6, NAV

While we prefer our C6 for road trips, we usually drive my wife's Prius to work and for groceries. It turns 9 this month, has had zero problems, still runs just fine and in all that time has probably averaged 40 mpg (mostly city driving). I figure it's saving us money towards our next Corvette. Hard to hate that.
mongo is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #22
Rick 2000
DC Crew

Member #47671

My Corvette(s)
-70 454 coupe ,-07 Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo View Post
While we prefer our C6 for road trips, we usually drive my wife's Prius to work and for groceries. It turns 9 this month, has had zero problems, still runs just fine and in all that time has probably averaged 40 mpg (mostly city driving). I figure it's saving us money towards our next Corvette. Hard to hate that.
I would make my daily comute on a pogo stick , before I 'drove around in a Prius .
Rick 2000 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #23
ArKay99

Member #43955

My Corvette(s)
1999 FRC - 2009 Z06

Garage
The main problem is that even though chemical energy is the most practical way to obtain energy, it's the least efficient, and tree huggers hate it.

The tree huggers have successfully scared the general public to look at the few disadvantages of nuclear reaction, so that is now 'out of the question'.

The only alternative is fusion...but that sems out of touch. So instead, we spend $866 billion on turtle tunnels and highways to nowhere insted of investing that into the lifeblood of civilization.

Electric cars like the Prius could be the future, with nuclear providing the energy to run them on.

Gas stations could become 'exchange stations' where you'd pull up and your almost spent batteries are swapped for a new set of freshly charged ones.
ArKay99 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Extreme taxation, excessive controls, oppressive government competition with business, frustrated minorities and forgotten Americans are not the products of free enterprise. They are the residue of centralized bureaucracy, of government by a self-anointed elite. - Ronald Reagan
Old 02-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #24
Chris Draper
DC Crew

Member #3332

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreABN View Post
this. So we will get a Cruz Eco for the wife instead.
The Cruze is great. I've had mine 3 weeks now. Fantastic car.
Chris Draper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette Info Center http://corvette-info.tripod.com
Corvette Racing History http://corvette-racing.tripod.com
Corvette Concepts History http://corvette-concepts.tripod.com
Corvette Info Center Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/corvetteinfocenter
Old 02-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #25
Upheval

Member #63633

My Corvette(s)
2007 C6

Goodbye, Prius?

Diesel has negative connotations with it. The first thing people think of when they hear diesel is a big cloud of black smoke and lots of valve noise. Of coarse this is not true at all because I have a 2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax. I can't get any black smoke to come out of that thing to save my life and its quiet. My neighbor asked why didn't I get the diesel and was surprised when I said I did. Europe had a car that had 100mpg diesel. I think it was a Volkswagen. The response to why they did not pursue it, "America isn't ready for it. Huh?
Another thing to alternative sources of energy for car is a few years ago, right before the net got popular I heard of a guy that made a car that ran on water and was test driving it across the country. The last bit of news I heard is that he made it to the West Coast but after that nothing. I heard this on my local news many moons ago and not from second hand word of mouth source.
Could there be a plot to stop alternative sources, possibly. Too many stories I have heard though the years to just push it off as urban legions.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Upheval is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #26
edtekk
DC Crew

Member #85086

My Corvette(s)
1973 coupe

I like hydrogen as a fuel source.Now if the government would give billions to private industry for research and development our energy problems could be solved. My only concern would be that this increased use of water may lead to more rainfall which may lead to global cooling which may lead to a new ice age.Can someone ask Al Gore if this is possible he'll know the answer.
edtekk is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #27
TommyFox
DC Crew

Member #117042

My Corvette(s)
C4 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Draper View Post
I called hydrogen as the future of the industry 4 years ago. It's so obvious, I don't know why no one realized it sooner.

Converting hydrogen to electricity for vehicles seems like an unnecessary complication though. Just use hydrogen as the fuel.
Environmentalists complain about H30 that drips from the tailpipe. Can't wait to see how this one plays out but it is a great way to go.
TommyFox is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Spaz
Old 02-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #28
mbwalker

Member #7872

My Corvette(s)
96 LT4 sold, 04 sold, 08 flooded (RIP), 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post
The main problem is that even though chemical energy is the most practical way to obtain energy, it's the least efficient, and tree huggers hate it.

The tree huggers have successfully scared the general public to look at the few disadvantages of nuclear reaction, so that is now 'out of the question'.

The only alternative is fusion...but that sems out of touch. So instead, we spend $866 billion on turtle tunnels and highways to nowhere insted of investing that into the lifeblood of civilization.

Electric cars like the Prius could be the future, with nuclear providing the energy to run them on.

Gas stations could become 'exchange stations' where you'd pull up and your almost spent batteries are swapped for a new set of freshly charged ones.
Thay will never be happy until we live like minimalists in congested cities and can walk to work and the store.
mbwalker is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #29
87vette81big
DC Crew

Member #117927

My Corvette(s)
1987 Corvette Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKay99 View Post

Interesting You bring up Nuclear Fission Power.
It has already been done by General Motors back in the 1950's. A few driving prototypes were built.
Operated much like a US Navy Nuclear submarine.
Nuclear reactor heats water to boiling.
Pipes route hot steam to a turbine blade assembly.
50,000 to 100,000 RPM spinning Turbine is stepped down in speed through a gearbox & multiplies torque.
Power flow then goes into a manual or automatic trans.
Differential takes power flow & splits it 90 degrees to drive rear or front wheels.

One big problem. Think of what terrorists could do with that nuclear fuel. At least a dirty bomb.

Nuclear Voltaic batteries exist too.
Same problem today..........damn terrorists.

BR
87vette81big is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #30
92Roadster

Member #36181

...ask me if I care......
92Roadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.