Gas prices hit all-time record high for early February - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Gas prices hit all-time record high for early February

Consumers have been spending more on gasoline than they have in nearly three decades.

With pump prices at their highest level on record for this time of year, the stage is set for an even greater climb in gasoline prices and expenditures than in 2012. Retail gasoline prices have surged 17 cents in a week to top $3.50 a gallon on average, posting the highest prices on record for the beginning of February.

According to AAA, the national average price of regular gasoline is $3.52 a gallon, 4 cents higher than the average price a year ago. The average price was $3.35 a gallon a week ago and $3.30 a gallon a month ago.  

Meanwhile, the U.S. Energy Information Administration reported Monday that gasoline expenditures in 2012 for the average U.S. household reached $2,912, or just under 4 percent of income before taxes. This was the highest estimated percentage of household income spent on gasoline in nearly three decades, with the exception of 2008, when the average household spent a similar amount. Gasoline prices averaged $3.63 a gallon in 2012, according to EIA.

Although overall gasoline consumption has decreased in recent years, a rise in average gasoline prices has led to higher overall household gasoline expenditures, according to the EIA.

The spring rally in gasoline prices typically starts in late February or early March, so this year's gains have come earlier than is usually the norm.

Analysts said the uncharacteristically early price rise is due to several factors: some refineries closing permanently or shutting down for maintenance, climbing crude oil prices, and a shortage of supply in California, requiring fuel to be diverted from other areas of the country to make up for reduced inventories.

In California, which often has the highest-priced gasoline in the continental U.S., mid and premium priced grades are already over $4 a gallon. Meanwhile, the state-wide average price of regular gasoline has jumped over 30 cents, or 10 percent, from a month ago to $3.91 a gallon on Monday, according to AAA. California gas prices are up 24 cents or 6 percent higher than they were a year ago.

Diesel fuel is also near the $4 a gallon mark, with the national average price of diesel at $3.98 a gallon on Monday, according to AAA. Diesel prices are about 10 cents higher than a year ago. (Read More: Will We See Record Gasoline Prices This Year?)

Meanwhile, consumers who use heating oil in their homes have seen sharp increases in those fuel prices and are also paying more than they did a year ago. According to the New York State Energy Research & Development Authority, the statewide average price of residential heating oil was $4.14 a gallon for the week ending January 28, up about 3 percent from a year ago.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100431822
Vette_Newb is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Energy is expensive. Now THERE's a headline.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
walleyfisher
DC Crew

Member #81755

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texdentist View Post
Wrong Headlne Obey1

Dollar value drops due to Bernakee Printing Company......INflation has began... Oils surges in value while dollar drops................More to come
walleyfisher is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
Old 02-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyfisher View Post
Wrong Headlne Obey1

Dollar value drops due to Bernakee Printing Company......INflation has began... Oils surges in value while dollar drops................More to come
I understand. I could just smell an anti-Exxon rant coming. I was just stirring up the antbed.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
92Roadster

Member #36181

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette_Newb View Post
Consumers have been spending more on gasoline than they have in nearly three decades.
...let me see if I've got this straight, "when the price of crude
goes up...I have to pay more for gas"......
92Roadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
walleyfisher
DC Crew

Member #81755

My Corvette(s)
1974 coupe & 1984 coupe

It soon will be time for all of us to negotiate our paychecks from dollars to gallons
walleyfisher is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile"
Old 02-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyfisher View Post
Wrong Headlne Obey1

When oil supply is as high as it is, and we have begun exporting more gasoline than importing, and demand is way down, this is about all it can be.
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
When oil supply is as high as it is, and we have begun exporting more gasoline than importing, and demand is way down, this is about all it can be.
" Analysts said the uncharacteristically early price rise is due to several factors: some refineries closing permanently or shutting down for maintenance, climbing crude oil prices, and a shortage of supply in California, requiring fuel to be diverted from other areas of the country to make up for reduced inventories."

In other words -- the usual ups and downs of the energy business. This is not news, and it's not a conspiracy.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #9
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
" Analysts said the uncharacteristically early price rise is due to several factors: some refineries closing permanently or shutting down for maintenance, climbing crude oil prices, and a shortage of supply in California, requiring fuel to be diverted from other areas of the country to make up for reduced inventories."

In other words -- the usual ups and downs of the energy business. This is not news, and it's not a conspiracy.
I think it's news when your "usual ups and downs" result in 30 year high prices to consumers.

Gasoline supplies are high
Crude oil supplies are high
Demand is low

Yeah, normal stuff.. in the new economy only.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
92Roadster

Member #36181

Quote:
This is not news, and it's not a conspiracy.
...it's a conspiracy, we get blamed for everything....
92Roadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
I think it's news when your "usual ups and downs" result in 30 year high prices to consumers.

Gasoline supplies are high
Crude oil supplies are high
Demand is low

Yeah, normal stuff.. in the new economy only.
"and a shortage of supply in California, requiring fuel to be diverted from other areas of the country to make up for reduced inventories"

Apparently supplies are not high everywhere.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

I am of the belief that George Bush, Dick Cheney, and Karl Rove are to blame for these fuel prices and no liberal can convince me otherwise.
Poncherello is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncherello View Post
I am of the belief that George Bush, Dick Cheney, and Karl Rove are to blame for these fuel prices and no liberal can convince me otherwise.
With all the monkey wrenches you toss into threads, you must get them at discount prices.
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #14
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
With all the monkey wrenches you toss into threads, you must get them at discount prices.
Those guys were blamed when gasoline was hovering around $2 gallon so certainly nothing has changed just because it's approaching $4 gallon again.
Poncherello is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.