Stingray V12 build.... - Page 13 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #181
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)
1970 Roadster, Mast Motorsports LS7, TKO 600, SS Frame, C4 suspension

I do truly admire your work; however, I see a weak point here. I figure it's better to speak up now and risk being thought a jerk than to discover an ill fate at some future date.

Are you at all concerned that vibration from the engine will travel up the linkage rods and weaken the fiberglass around the linkage pivot bracket?

I don't know how much pressure it takes to move the linkage, but this could weaken and brake away leaving you stranded or worse. Hopefully not on the power tour.....

You might consider reinforcing the back of the bracket with a steel plate or maybe installing a hard rubber layer under the bracket or both. IMHO some way of preventing the vibration from reaching the fiberglass is needed.

Again I'm not knocking your work, given only what I can see in the photos I see a weak point that IMHO should be addressed. OK so I spoke up and feel better about that. Perhaps you have already addressed it and it just isn't apparent in the photos?

Keep the updates coming, I look forward to seeing progress, really cool build.
7TRoadster is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #182
Richard454
DC Crew

Member #43340

My Corvette(s)
71 V12 restomod vert (Plan A) 73 L82 4 speed (Plan B)

Thanks Brent!!!

7T- Good eye- that's what building -ideas/thoughts- are thrown out on this forum for...Although some guys puff up- I've always thought several ideas are better than just mine...

I was looking at a LS swap on another forum-and the builder- who looked to be pretty accomplished- w/ a lot of nice details on his build-had his rad hoses plumbed backwards- and a fellow forum member Riggs- pointed that out...I am highly capable of do stupid stuff sometimes...

Yes-I had a metal angle iron piece of scrap behind the bracket for the video..also took some flashing (works GREAT for mock-up and easier to cut than cardboard) and made a template -so when I get some steel I'll be able to make a reinforcement plate.

If you can see- the bracket is substantial- and I also notched so it rests tightly against the firewall angle.

Thanks again for taking the time to make sure I don't miss something...

Richard

Richard454 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #183
Richard454
DC Crew

Member #43340

My Corvette(s)

Still at it....

Have the headlights mounted and working...adding a few relays to the stock harness and looks like I am going to move the fusebox to the "astro" ventilation air vent area- that I'll no longer need w/ AC. Give me the needed room for my oil tank.

Since I'm adding AC - I decided to block off the fresh engine heated air by fiber-glassing over the holes- not only to keep air out but water as well. I made a form out of flashing and aluminum tape - so I can mechanically fasten the covers - and remove them if necessary...

Just got back from my buddy's machine shop...needed some bushings for my hobbled together double bellcrank- this ought to work- bronze valve guides machined in to bushings for the cut down stainless steel valve!!!

Here's the intakes- I cleaned them up some more and flycut the surfaces so I won't have any leaks....

In the meantime- I have been trying to set up a baseline tune w/ the ECU and my laptop- I was stoked when I hooked the harness up -no smoke - everything worked and communicated w/ the ECU...lot's of stuff I can control or rather screw up....

Richard
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #184
Richard454
DC Crew

Member #43340

My Corvette(s)

OK...I'm getting really close to firing this thing up....I'm the process of finally assembly of the throttle bodies...finished making the mounts for the fuel rails...waiting on some tube aluminum to finish the vacuum block for the map sensor.

BIG step- the harness is finished. I hooked up the coils -injectors- air and coolant temp sensors and the throttle position.

I have a baseline program set up for my engine- wasn't really that hard to do w/ "TunerStudio."

NOW the big test - I hook up 12volts power it up and connect the USB to my Laptop...It works!!! And here's proof-

I first have the throttle body w/ TPS sensor and got it calibrated- you can see it on the gauge on the Laptop. Next I run the hairdryer on the coolant temp sensor and then the Air temp sensor- and you can see the temps rise...

Next I run a injector test- you have to listen closely-the injectors click in sequential firing order- I labeled them A-L to verify..then I do the same with the coils...almost there!!!

Richard
Old 03-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #185
Sly Vette
DC Crew

Member #118014

My Corvette(s)
1969 Convertible

Very Cool!!!!
All your hard work is about ti pay off when that Beast comes to life!!!!
Sly Vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #186
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)

Oh Yea!!!!! This is gonna be great, can't wait to hear it.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #187
riggs 74
DC Crew

Member #78208

My Corvette(s)
74 vette

Richard were did you learn how to put together a tune for you setup, that is something I would like to learn for my other LSX projects to come.

Riggs
riggs 74 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #188
CTYANK2
DC Crew

Member #45458

My Corvette(s)
2006 Z06 & 1989 Convertible

Amazing project
CTYANK2 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
CTYANK2
1989 Automatic Convertible. TPIS headers, 3:07 rear, lowered front & rear(not lowered in signature photo).
2006 VY Z06
2003 MY Z06 - sold
1977 4 speed - sold
1996 Collector Edition - sold
Old 03-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #189
Richard454
DC Crew

Member #43340

My Corvette(s)

THANKS!!!

Riggs- me an expert??? I just put myself to sleep many a night reading the 244 page owners manual...Fortunately the "Tunerstudio" has a fuel table/algorithm already set up to start from- you just plug in the parameters...The trick is run the most popular sensors - BMW 60-2 toothed wheel-GM coolant sensor- GM MAP- Bosch O2-these make set up a lot easier...

I'm getting closer...just waiting on another piece I didn't know I would need- a controller for the wideband O2 sensor I just bought...another c note...

My goal is to start it this upcoming weekend...

I have the fuel rail mounts done- new o rings & filters on the injectors...finishing up the brackets for the LS coils and got the vacuum distribution block or rather tube done today. It's a tight fit- I had originally bought a couple vacuum dist blocks off eBay- but really didn't fit and looked ricer/crappy...So I made one from a 1 x .25 walled aluminum tube-

Richard

Here's another 'thought'.... I'm trying to figure out where to get the air from....I'm looking at something like this but pulling from the a-arm opening...If you notice this car has a hood scoop/opening... What do you think?

Old 03-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #190
iburke
Sir Dude

Member #6081

My Corvette(s)
1971 T-Top

looking good... Is that a cowl induction hood?
iburke is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
I can't tell if I'm dealing well with life these days or I just don't give a shit any more.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #191
Richard454
DC Crew

Member #43340

My Corvette(s)

Iburke- that's a mid-60' GTO w/ a LSx...a nice and clean install- I think I am going to copy the air intake system...

I have been fighting clearance issues for the past several days... bolting down the intakes & throttle bodies for the final time. The bolts were NOT easy to get to. I know...I know- you can't see much difference -but if you could look inside the intakes you'd see how nicely all the ports match!!! Although it doesn't look like two days work...

I have the throttle linkage finished- hooked up the laptop to it and I have full throttle - or 100% showing on the screen.

The fuel rails are a different story- modded the stock ones- made brackets BUT its not going to work- the inlet and the outlets are just in the wrong place-the regulator is too close to the firewall... swapping sides and front to back - just won't work. I'm looking at Ross Machine on eBay for some -6 Fuel Rail extrusion- drill bit- regulator mount and just make my own....

My vacuum tube - is also in the way....looking at two smaller tubes- one for each side to help w/ clearance....

Trying to finish fabbing up the LS coil mounts....have some ideas...but none seem to really work how I want it to...

The wiring harness is all finished - have the O2 sensor and it's controller all soldered up- have the wires neatly running behind the engine through the fire wall. Also going to run the factory harness inside the car and hide it as well.

I did borrow my buddy's big gas can to test fire ( my tanks not quite ready) closer and closer...

Richard

Old 04-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #192
Richard454
DC Crew

Member #43340

My Corvette(s)

I have the vacuum lines figured out....finally. I just wasn't happy w/ any of my ideas- and did NOT want to try and track down 12+ sources of vacuum leaks !

I worked out a neat way- that shouldn't leak and looks pretty cool....

After making the threaded rod hollow- I needed a way to connect all 12 throttle bodies- realizing there was a lot of stuff in the way to work around and don't want it coming loose...

Here's what I did-

Took some old injectors- tapped them to fit the threaded rod- cut off the ends- then drilled some of the extra fuel line rail I had left over for a 'modified' injector. I'm going to use brake line to connect the fuel rails-AKA Vacuum rails together.

On a side note- Ross Machine Racing -found these guys on eBay- bought the fuel rail- regulator housing and 14mm drill bit for the injectors. The regulator housing was damaged in shipping... I contacted them- and they shipped another one out THAT day-told me to just throw away the damaged one...no hassle...So if you need to make some fuel rails up-or a custom intake- these are the guys!!!

And YES- I am going to polish the fuel/vacuum rails...

Old 04-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #193
Sly Vette
DC Crew

Member #118014

My Corvette(s)
1969 Convertible

Your ability to engineer solutions to these problems are truly impressive!
You have a great way of thinking "Outside the Box"!!!
Sly Vette is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #194
7TRoadster
DC Crew

Member #106320

My Corvette(s)

Outstanding as usual........ If I understand the intent you need 5 more of the short vacuum rails, then you're going to connect them all in series with short pieces of brake line.

Each side separately into a common manifold or can?

Great idea using the old injectors. Can't wait to hear this run.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #195
MIKE80
DC Crew

Member #85716

Nice work Richard! It's looking great
MIKE80 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.