Buying my first Corvette - Page 3 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #31
RagtopDan

Member #74687

My Corvette(s)
2003 50th Anniversary Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Wow, $800???

Dude, you could have towed it to me with a 16oz filet and I would have knocked it out for a fraction of that!
I have found that up here in the North East, if it ends in "Vette", it has an extra zero on the end of the price. Could have been two grand for all I care since the guy was picking up the tab but he did happen to mention that he could have it fixed for half that by him. Even at $400, although it may not cover transport down to you, that would get you a flight and a damn good steak up here, AJ!
RagtopDan is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 04:52 AM   #32
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
Don't tease me.
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 02-14-2013, 04:34 AM   #33
phoneman91
DC Crew

Member #120657

My Corvette(s)
2001 C5 Convertible,1SC,6sp

I found a nice 2000 C5 Convertible that has the Z49 RPO package (Canadian Mandatory base equipment) and the U19 RPO (Canadian export metric instruments) with engine block heater (K05). But is also has a NF2 RPO -which is "Federal Emissions Standard Tier 1".

Anyone out there with a Canadian export C5 that has been registered in the USA? Will this cause any issues?

Will moose show an unnatural affinity to my Canadian C5?

We have to get our vehicles thru an I/M 240 chassis dyno roller emission test before we can register our vehicles in the Denver area.

I plan on asking the dealership to emission test it before any possible purchase.

I also assume that the metric Canadian instruments will allow one to select American MPH and other normal measurements. I have never seen one of these exports before.

I wonder if CarFax will pull records north of the border? Anyone know? Eh.
phoneman91 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #34
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
With all the C5's for sale in the US, why in the world are you looking at Canada and any headaches associated with that purchase???
Old 02-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #35
phoneman91
DC Crew

Member #120657

My Corvette(s)

I am not looking for Canadian C5s. It was traded in to a Colorado dealer and it is a Torch Red/Light Oak convertible-just what I am looking for. I don't think that the dealer was aware of it's history. I just took a picture of the RPO sticker on the glove box door and decoded it. Eh.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #36
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
That's a sweet color combo but it's a 2000. I would personally buy a 2001 or better. The 2001 was when the majority of the fixes were done to the C5. That's what you should be looking for if you ask me.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #37
RagtopDan

Member #74687

My Corvette(s)
2003 50th Anniversary Convertible

Hey OP, did you ever end up finding a car? Inquiring minds want to know...
RagtopDan is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #38
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
He may be going through a case of 'vision blindness' by the sight of the cars he's looking at instead of listening to the voice of reason. Common problem for first time buyers. Of course they regret that decision later after they have bought something with a couple of thousand dollars worth of issues that they didn't realize it had.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:52 AM   #39
phoneman91
DC Crew

Member #120657

My Corvette(s)

I am still looking and learning . I have looked at one per week on the average. All of these Corvettes have stories to tell.

I just looked at a 2002 convertible that has 26k miles and a new aftermarket clutch and just had the Procharger supercharger removed -but still had the 60 pound injectors and the supercharger tune. Very nice cosmetic condition-but the mechanicals had me worried.

But it has 304 SS beautiful American Racing headers 1 7/8 primaries and Granatelli cold air intake. And Magnaflow exhaust and cats. And Pro Gold clutch-the stock clutch was destroyed after just 24k miles (?). Magnetic Red with Light Oak interior and top. Owner didnt know if it would pass emissions. All these aftermarket parts less than three years old.

Dampness on the rear aluminum member underneath the output of the differential on the driver's side. Engine was clean and spotless and all of the underhood aluminum was new looking--the underneath didn't look like it had been driven much in the rain. New looking battery. Very few rock chips on the leading edge of the Corvette. About three very small rock chips in the windshield. Light Oak top was very new looking.Very few wrinkles on the driver's seat.

Low mileage with beautiful cosmetics but worrisome history and three owners. Asking 22k firm.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:57 AM   #40
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Not just why, but why in the hell would you even consider that car? That thing sounds like a bouquet of red flags!
Old 03-01-2013, 04:03 AM   #41
phoneman91
DC Crew

Member #120657

My Corvette(s)

I didn't realize all of these issues until I went out there to see it. The price was low for the model year and mileage. It does look nice and it is hard to believe that a previous owner would take such good care of the appearance and not of the clutch .

And I learn something more each time I look at an example of one of these Corvettes.

For example: I learned that there is a supposed electrical lockout of the reverse gear when the Corvette is traveling at a certain speed.

I am learning that most Corvette sellers very proud of these C5s and don't realize that the C5 that they paid 30k for 8 years ago hasnt retained all of it's value thru the years. And they seem to minimize their individual C5's problems.

I can't seem to find a very nice/clean accident free 2001+ C5 convertible,manual, with less than 40k miles for less than 23k dollars.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #42
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneman91 View Post
... I can't seem to find a very nice/clean accident free 2001+ C5 convertible,manual, with less than 40k miles for less than 23k dollars.
That may be a hard combination to find. Even if that is so, there are C5 Corvettes (like mine for example), that if I didn't tell you so, you wouldn't know a fraction of what I've done to it. The appearance is great inside and out. The engine is clean as a whistle and if there are any codes stored, they only have to do with the doors (I don't know why, but I seem to find a history code in one of them whenever I check). I just chalk it up to a temporary glitch because I haven't changed anything.

If I were you, I would be looking for a 'virgin' Corvette. That's what I call a C5 with no engine mods. Mileage doesn't bother me because these engines were designed to go 300,000 miles or better. Parts can be replaced and a 2004 year car is 9 years old right now. Stuff doesn't last forever and if I found a 2004 with 15K miles on it, I would be scared to put it through its paces because it was probably pampered too much. That car would probably have the original tires on it which are at this time, death traps. You go out and push a car like that and I wouldn't be surprised if you developed an oil leak or blew a tire. So one has to wonder, are you going to drive your car or are you looking for a garage queen?

The entire drive train is still available for these cars. Parts are really becoming affordable. You can even get a copy of the same GM service manual and the tools that every GM dealership has. A virgin C5 with 60,000 miles and no undercarriage damage means more to me than a pristine, low mileage C5 that is priced twice its value. If you can turn screws, that would be a smarter buy. The old saying, "use it or loose it", is very true with any car. You do more damage letting them sit than you do actually using them the way they were designed to be used.

So adjust the parameters that you think are important and you'll find that there are a lot of cars out there for you to choose from. This is the exact mindset that you should have if you are not planning on keeping the car forever. Get your thrills out of it and move on to the next. If you are making a permanent purchase, do as I said and find a virgin C5 with no significant undercarriage damage, along with signs that the owner took very good care of the car. The appearance of the engine bay and the professionalism of any repairs done to the car is my first hint of how a car has been maintained.

Swirled up paint can be fixed. Torn leather can be replaced. wear and tear happens but a modified engine can be a nightmare if you do not know the capabilities of the person doing the modification. If you visit enough forums and read enough threads, you will find out that there are people out here modifying the mess out of these cars and they don't have a clue as to how what they have done will impact the rest of the car. You do NOT want to get stuck with THAT car.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #43
phoneman91
DC Crew

Member #120657

My Corvette(s)

JM:

I agree with all you mentioned on the previous post.

Most owners of these C5 are proud and enthusiastic owners. They love their C5s and many seem to be selling because of necessity-divorce and such-or buying another newer C6 or C7.

I am not seeing that much difference between the well cared for C5 and the beat C5 in asking price.Mileage does seem to effect asking price. I would rather have the cosmetically outstanding C5 and not the beat up body of a high mileage one. I have always been willing to spend money on a vehicle if it looks outstanding. And-usually if the owner is so proud of the C5 that he takes the time and expense to keep appearances nice-will also take care of maintenance of the mechanical.

Cosmetic damage is more expensive to repair than some mechanical damage in many cases. And the mechanical damage is also more difficult to determine when inspecting for purchase.

I understand your point about mileage not being necessarily that important to driving a C5 that has been maintained mechanically. Your point is very valid and I have independently arrived at the same conclusion. I am finding that you can beat what was 50k dollar new C5 like it has no value at all as a daily driver. I cant believe that some of these owners really don't know how to maintain a vehicle!

But high mileage does have issues that a buyer should consider: Lower resale value and all mechanical parts of any vehicle has a finite life span and high mileage causes the buyer to consider the higher operating cost that will be involved in a shorter period of time.

I believe that looking for a C5 convertible in the winter has inherent advantages --the asking price will be lower than the middle of summer--especially here in the snowy Rocky Mountain area that I live .

But the down side of looking for a C5 in winter-is that the selection of C5s on the market is limited. And the reasonable asking prices have been bought quickly by lucky buyers.

I expect a larger number of C5s to flood the market after the first C7 is released on the market in late summer. I am saving each week for this C5 and will have more money to spend on it the longer I wait for "my" C5.

I suspect that the nicest C5s will be offered for sale in the fall/winter of 2013-when the C7 is in full production and the prices will seasonally fall because of the weather.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #44
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
... Cosmetic damage is more expensive to repair than some mechanical damage in many cases.
I disagree. Cosmetic damage can be easily repaired by you. If it is new carpet or leather for the seats, there are some well documented instructions on this forum alone. Paint jacked up with swirls or scratches? Got that covered here too.

Quote:
And the mechanical damage is also more difficult to determine when inspecting for purchase.
But that's the beauty of this forum. You haven't ran across anything that we haven't seen yet. All you have to do is describe the problem and I bet I can find a fix for you, as long as the car hasn't been modified.

If you are looking for a garage queen that you plan on treating like a garage queen, that's one thing. But if you're planning on actually enjoying the car, that's another story. Looking for a reasonably priced garage queen is like finding a 38 year old foxy woman with no kids and a master's degree making 6 figures who wants to quit her job, marry you and make a family of 6 kids.

Good luck with that.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #45
phoneman91
DC Crew

Member #120657

My Corvette(s)

Garage Queens depreciate just like the beaters...

I was a telephone installer thirty years ago and I found all kinds of rare and desirable cars in people's garages-the garage queens are out there! And one will be come mine!

I believe that finding a motivated seller is the secret.

I have been told by many sellers that they are getting few interested parties--even when the C5 is reasonably priced. Even when I walk away-I make sure that the seller has my email address and/or phone number if they should change their mind as to their minimum price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.