88 all Electrical issues... - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #16
the hellrazor
DC Crew

Member #120799

Well slapped the Cluster back togather and same... Light up but, none of the Gauges work. I still have 0Volts on the 3A INST Fuse. So I took a jumper Wire from 3A Cruise Fuse and all that happened was the Light near the Shifter and Lights on the Rearview Mirror started working. I guess if someone who has 85-89Vette could??? Please unplug this "3A INST Fuse" and lmk if your gauges stop working I don't think this is the problem though. In the fuse box there are also a Fuse for Clstr=Cluster, Gdgs=Gauges and LCD=LCD... I don't honestly think that INST fuse has anything to do with the Digi Cluster. So it looks like I have another problem to chase down now. When I went to Inspections I had the Cluster Installed(not working) and the Light Bulb near Shifter and Mirror was working when it went in and when it came out is when I noticed the Bulb near shifter was not working anymore. I assumed the bulb had just burned out or broke inside. Guess not
the hellrazor is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #17
the hellrazor
DC Crew

Member #120799

So it's been nice enough to warm up for me. I have gone under and found a Problem with 1 wire on the ground that leads to the Trans bolt. My question is and i'm playing around with these Fuseable Links. On the power side of the Fuse the wire is really soft like a Noodle almost and after the Fuse there all rock hard. On alot of them it's a heavier gauge wire coming out a the Fuse. Does anyone know if this means anything. Or am I going to have to actually splice each 1 to test them????
Old 02-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #18
wildcatlock
DC Crew

Member #117437

My Corvette(s)
86e w/91 facias soon to be GS replica and now a 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hellrazor View Post
So it's been nice enough to warm up for me. I have gone under and found a Problem with 1 wire on the ground that leads to the Trans bolt. My question is and i'm playing around with these Fuseable Links. On the power side of the Fuse the wire is really soft like a Noodle almost and after the Fuse there all rock hard. On alot of them it's a heavier gauge wire coming out a the Fuse. Does anyone know if this means anything. Or am I going to have to actually splice each 1 to test them????
There is not a "fuse". The part I think you are referring to is actually the factory splice point. Should be about 6-8 inches back from the ring terminal correct? everthing from that point to the ring terminal is a wire designed to melt at a certain amperage. When they get hot ( too much amperage or a short ) they will melt but the insulation doesent change. If they are very stiff then they have been hot enough to start melting. They should not be any stiffer than the wire they are spliced to and in most cases are more flexable. If they are stiff I would replace them with a section of "fuseable" wire available at most parts stores in the correct guage. Most are 12ga. IIRC and red in color. Cut them above the factory splice point and solder and heat shrink a new fuseable wire with a new ring terminal. Not expensive or all that time consuming to do and then you will know they are good. If you could post a picture of what you see and we can make sure we are on the same page.
wildcatlock is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #19
the hellrazor
DC Crew

Member #120799

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatlock View Post
If you could post a picture of what you see and we can make sure we are on the same page.
haha, I just put that all back togather. I was wishing I had a Camera so I could take a Picture. But, there all right behind the Battery and some of them run from the Junction and go under the battery Tray. So on the actual Link they show no signs of Melting or Burns. I would image this takes place inside of link and would only show signs outside in extreme cases? Or would it show through regardless? I want to replace them all. However that would be about $60 to replace all 11. I'm broke until I sale my wheels lol...
Old 02-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #20
wildcatlock
DC Crew

Member #117437

My Corvette(s)
86e w/91 facias soon to be GS replica and now a 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hellrazor View Post
haha, I just put that all back togather. I was wishing I had a Camera so I could take a Picture. But, there all right behind the Battery and some of them run from the Junction and go under the battery Tray. So on the actual Link they show no signs of Melting or Burns. I would image this takes place inside of link and would only show signs outside in extreme cases? Or would it show through regardless? I want to replace them all. However that would be about $60 to replace all 11. I'm broke until I sale my wheels lol...
$10 on fuseable wire, $10 on quality connectors , some solder, heatshrink, and a bit of time. Shouldnt be more than $25 total. Anyway just trying to get you fixed up.
wildcatlock is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.