Patrick - Page 3 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #31
AlexY
DC Crew

Member #8935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
And it ain't because they are perceived to be more reliable, they ARE more reliable. You don't get jerked around as bad at the dealerships like the GM dealerships like to do and they don't have that "what have you done for us lately" attitude toward their customers. The cars just run and run if you properly maintain them. Let's face it, the American automotive industry has become the IBM based computers of cars today while the foreign auto manufacturers have become the Apple computer industry. There was a time when the big 3 LAUGHED at the thought of Datsun ever being a player in the Automotive world.

Who's laughing now...
I heard Toyotas are real reliable at accelerating and have you actually been to a Toyota dealership recently to buy a car? They were so obnoxious and treated us like they were doing us a favor by having us at our dealership we walked out before even taking a test drive.

Perception is everything. Mercedes is perceived as a superior brand as well, even though modern ones are as reliable as an early 90s Jaguar. Reputations change much slower than actual products do.
AlexY is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #32
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexY View Post
I heard Toyotas are real reliable at accelerating and have you actually been to a Toyota dealership recently to buy a car? They were so obnoxious and treated us like they were doing us a favor by having us at our dealership we walked out before even taking a test drive.
Maybe you shouldn't have worn your Chevy shirts?

Quote:
Perception is everything. Mercedes is perceived as a superior brand as well, even though modern ones are as reliable as an early 90s Jaguar. Reputations change much slower than actual products do.
Then explain those top ten rankings. You're sounding like the big 3 back when they WERE the top dogs. Apparently, millions of consumers haven't gotten your memo.
Junkman2008 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #33
OC Vic
DC Crew

Member #115382

My Corvette(s)
Had a C4 Vert, now waiting for C7

I buy American, because I support my country first,
and secondly, because we make cool things that I might actually be able to afford. If you want ZR1 performance from a foreign car, you'd have to spend more than $250,000, becasue that's how much the McClaren MP4-12C and 458 Italia cost, and actually neither one of those highly respected cars can beat the ZR1 around the Nurburgring! (7:28s each, vs 7:19). And the Viper ACR did a 7:12, which you can't beat with a stick, not at any price.

(No, I'm not a flag-waving zealot, nor a racist, I don't hate other countries, don't hate their cars at all, and I am not blind to our own problems!)

I just prefer to root for the home team. I respect German, and Japanese cars, I admire Aston and McClaren, would love to have a 458 Italia, etc,

But at the end of day, I buy American. I guess that's just who I am. We make stuff that many Americans can actually afford, where the foreign exotics are only within reach of a very select lucky few in the countries where they are made. High performance is just not within reach of very many of their middle classes. Most Europeans drive C class subcompacts, cause that's what they can afford. Only a very tiny percentage of them can think of buying a McClaren or the like, although they like to smugly hold up such outrageously expensive exotics as an example. Sure, an example that they can't even own for themselves.

We got it pretty good here. Great cars, getting better all the time, kings of cornering on the Ring, and now, with Class A interiors, too!

The C7 is a great car, and I want one.

I guess the OP is right, they styled the C7 tailights to be reminiscent of the Camaro, for Chevy brand-identity. I think they shouldn't have borrowed from Camaro, really. But they don't look "too much" like a Camaros', just somewhat. The C7s are deeper, italicised, with far more character than the Camaros'. Just enough to set it apart. I think the rear end looks more like a fighter jet, or something cool like that. Yep, it's pretty angular, but so is the Aventador, and people think that's cool, so why can't angles be cool on a Vette?
OC Vic is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2001 Viper GTS, saphire w/silver stripes,
Striker Heads, Striker Cam, Jesel r/r's, Edelbrock Headers, Corsa cat-back, Penske tripple-adjustable shocks, Hypercoil springs, lightweight flywheel, Accusump, SSR rims, Baer rotors, Team Tech 5-point harnesses, 578 rwhp, 589 rwtq
The Following User Says Thank You to OC Vic For This Useful Post:
leshelt (02-13-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 AM   #34
AlexY
DC Crew

Member #8935

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Vic View Post
I buy American, because I support my country first,
and secondly, because we make cool things that I might actually be able to afford. If you want ZR1 performance from a foreign car, you'd have to spend more than $250,000, becasue that's how much the McClaren MP4-12C and 458 Italia cost, and actually neither one of those highly respected cars can beat the ZR1 around the Nurburgring! (7:28s each, vs 7:19). And the Viper ACR did a 7:12, which you can't beat with a stick, not at any price.

(No, I'm not a flag-waving zealot, nor a racist, I don't hate other countries, don't hate their cars at all, and I am not blind to our own problems!)

I just prefer to root for the home team. I respect German, and Japanese cars, I admire Aston and McClaren, would love to have a 458 Italia, etc,

But at the end of day, I buy American. I guess that's just who I am. We make stuff that many Americans can actually afford, where the foreign exotics are only within reach of a very select lucky few in the countries where they are made. High performance is just not within reach of very many of their middle classes. Most Europeans drive C class subcompacts, cause that's what they can afford. Only a very tiny percentage of them can think of buying a McClaren or the like, although they like to smugly hold up such outrageously expensive exotics as an example. Sure, an example that they can't even own for themselves.

We got it pretty good here. Great cars, getting better all the time, kings of cornering on the Ring, and now, with Class A interiors, too!

The C7 is a great car, and I want one.

I guess the OP is right, they styled the C7 tailights to be reminiscent of the Camaro, for Chevy brand-identity. I think they shouldn't have borrowed from Camaro, really. But they don't look "too much" like a Camaros', just somewhat. The C7s are deeper, italicised, with far more character than the Camaros'. Just enough to set it apart. I think the rear end looks more like a fighter jet, or something cool like that. Yep, it's pretty angular, but so is the Aventador, and people think that's cool, so why can't angles be cool on a Vette?
Here here!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #35
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Torch View Post
Through no fault of Chevrolet. Where on the outside of your C5 is anything denoting Chevy? or a C4 or C3 or C2? It wasn't til the C6 that anything other than Corvette was on the exterior of a Corvette and then it was a small square that had GM on it. It appears that Chevy is looking for the brand recognition the same way that a Pontiac was for years recognizable by its grill design
Exactly, and it was so successful for Pontiac!

Corvette has always been the the Chevy that isn't. It has always showcased the best versions of Chevy's engines in a way that NO other chevies can. Accordingly, it has looked like no other chevy. Corvette promoted Chevy by displaying technology, not by looking like a generic chevy. Now it's just a matter of time before we see a big brass bowtie in the middle of the grill.

Regardless, the taillights are just one part of that ugly ass rear end.
Longtimer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 02-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #36
The Bad
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #175

My Corvette(s)
*sold*75 Wht/Tan Cp*sold*94 Wht/Rd Cp Current: 02 EB/BLK Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Torch View Post
Through no fault of Chevrolet. Where on the outside of your C5 is anything denoting Chevy? or a C4 or C3 or C2? It wasn't til the C6 that anything other than Corvette was on the exterior of a Corvette and then it was a small square that had GM on it. It appears that Chevy is looking for the brand recognition the same way that a Pontiac was for years recognizable by its grill design
The emblems...

They all have the Chevy Bowtie.
The Bad is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2002 Electron Blue Z06: Custom made partition, new stereo system, 5% tint, twin cone air intake system, shorty antenna, Exide Orbital battery, and chrome rims. -Brandon-

My Corvette story
Old 02-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #37
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
EXACTLY!

Corvette has always been the the Chevy that isn't. It has always showcased the best versions of Chevy's engines in a way that NO other chevies can. Accordingly, it has looked like no other chevy. Corvette promoted Chevy by displaying technology, not by looking like a generic chevy. Now it's just a matter of time before we see a big brass bowtie in the middle of the grill. [/QUOTE]

Add to that, you don't see Pontiac's running with the exotics, nor do you see exotic owners with Pontiac's in their garages. The Corvette is the only American made sports car accepted by those who also own exotics.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #38
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
EXACTLY!

Quote:
Corvette has always been the the Chevy that isn't. It has always showcased the best versions of Chevy's engines in a way that NO other chevies can. Accordingly, it has looked like no other chevy. Corvette promoted Chevy by displaying technology, not by looking like a generic chevy. Now it's just a matter of time before we see a big brass bowtie in the middle of the grill.

Add to that, you don't see Pontiac's running with the exotics, nor do you see exotic owners with Pontiac's in their garages. The Corvette is the only American made sports car accepted by those who also own exotics.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #39
92Roadster

Member #36181

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
Take a look at a BMW. They are all recognizable as a BMW, even though the styling is different. BMW has the perception of high quality german engineering and their cars are pretty much instantly recognizable by anyone. And most people (not necissarily enthusiasts) will think of that when they see ANY BMW.

For example having a car like Corvette recognizable as a Chevrolet will help the brand. Let's face it 90% of people will never buy a Corvette, but Corvette if tied to Chevrolet correctly can help give Chevy a sporty image and get people into dealers. Maybe then they buy a Camaro or even a Spark.

GM and Chevy need Corvette as a marketing tool more than anything else. The great thing about that is that we get Corvette and GM get's a car that can draw people in.
...as far as the newer Corvette's, just considering the price tag
puts you mostly in the mid to upper crowd and I would think
most nearly all of them know who makes it...each model has
to bring it's "own" image to attract new and returning buyers
I personally don't buy just because of the name brand, I
consider mostly what it has to offer and pricing, "if 90% of
people will never by a Corvette"
, I'm betting the last 10%
does not need to be shown its a GM or Chevrolet and would
probably careless that it's embossed into the car, I know I
wouldn't...
92Roadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 01:01 AM   #40
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Roadster View Post
..."if 90% of
people will never by a Corvette"
, I'm betting the last 10%
does not need to be shown its a GM or Chevrolet and would
probably careless that it's embossed into the car, I know I
wouldn't...
Great point.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #41
Zotic
DC Crew

Member #65472

Speculation

Given to the present climate and much divided reviews, personally doubt there’ll be the same measure of interest for the C7 that was and still prevails for the C6, naturally sales will serve as poof.

The C7 designers anticipate (target) potential buyers as young and apparently with tastes for a stick-on rear spoiler along with the "edginess" of a surface disrupted with origami creases and design cues from other automobiles as opposed to an automobile with "simple," uninterruptedly smooth flowing lines, and uniquely distinct and integral attributes of …let’s say a McLaren P1 for instance.

:: https://www.google.com/search?q=McLa...w=1280&bih=895

Well, …only time will tell whether they’re right and that the buyers are of such a notable sophistication.
Zotic is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #42
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Hell, very few of the young people who like the car can afford it.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #43
Zotic
DC Crew

Member #65472

Quote:
Exactly! Then again maybe GM has a means with which to boost Corvette sales as well as assist these potential, upwardly mobile, young C7 buyers as "Countrywide" et al. did for the real estate market by providing wannabe homeowners with mortgages that later suppurated into foreclosures. It certainly proved rewarding for Countrywide, pay a fine and keep the rest to pass out as bonuses. Yep, certainly seems to be the American way nowadays, just sign here and we’ll take care of the rest, wink, wink.
Zotic is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #44
AlexY
DC Crew

Member #8935

Quote:
Wanna bet?

The average BMW M3 buyer's age is 41

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/25352526/

Come on guys, wake up, it's a big world out there
Old 02-18-2013, 01:04 AM   #45
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Garage
Quote:
Wanna bet?

The average BMW M3 buyer's age is 41

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/25352526/

Come on guys, wake up, it's a big world out there
Forty-one is not exactly what I consider "young". You're getting close to a midlife crises stage at 41. I'm talking about the 25-30 year old crowd. How many new BMW drivers are in that crowd, much less new Vette drivers. Very few.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.