It's battery time - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette Forums > C5 Corvette - General Discussion
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C5 Corvette - General Discussion General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
deanz02
DC Crew

Member #116949

My Corvette(s)
2002 coupe

It's battery time

OK guys, it's time for a new battery. Mine was in the car when I bought it two years ago. It looked like new but I guess it wasn't. It is an AC-Delco group 75 and the "branded" date code can't be read because of a poor stamp job.

The old Delco will only hold 12.3 volts. Charged up it is 12.8 but drops to 12.5 within a day, then settles at 12.3 even with it removed from the car. I thought my starter was getting tired but it's the battery instead.

My question is type of battery. I wanted a AGM but nobody makes one in a group75 size. I also checked on an Oddsey battery but at $289 I don't think I can afford that.An Optma is a little cheaper but the battery shop that sells them advised aganist buying one stating that lately they have had lots of trouble with them.

Will a group 78 fit? I have measured and it seems it might fit but it will be tight. Should I just stick with a Delco Professional Gold? I can get one of those for $130, but a AGM in a 78 size is only $150.

Wadda say guys? Anybody had the same problems?
deanz02 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Just my humble opinion, but batteries are relatively cheap. I see no reason to spend a ton of money on one. You should be able to get a decent brand name battery for $100 or less and it wont make your car any slower than the $289 battery. It might not last as long, but at less than half the price, you can replace it every two years and still come out ahead. I have had more than my share of battery troubles, and it seems the "quality" (price) of the battery doesn't make any difference. They all tend to be reliable for 2-3 years.
Texdentist is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
92Roadster

Member #36181

...I most often put ACDelco's in my vehicles but actually
any good grade battery will do, brands really mean nothing
anymore they all claim the same thing, my only requirement
is that I have a quality alternator installed, I think that is
more important than battery hype.....my $.02
92Roadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
vettekid00
DC Crew

Member #12065

My Corvette(s)
2000 torch red 6spd,1993 polo green-sold

I happen to sell Interstate at my shop and I can say that in the 11 years I've been here, I have seen one battery go bad before the warranty date. It had a bad cell and was replaced free of charge after two years. The MT-75 interstate is a great battery for the vette. I had one in mine before i traded it in. It was in there the nine years I owned it. Tended every year from november to april with no problems. That can be bought for around $100.00.

I have nothing against delcos either. No problems with them in the past. I do recommend you stay away from a walmart battery or advance auto parts silver brand. they are junk. Even Die Hards don't seem to last like they used to. I also don't see a need for an Optima unless you are running amps and speakers. Then that would help a bit.
vettekid00 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Are you a God?"
Old 02-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
PredatorC6
DC Crew

Member #115883

My Corvette(s)
C6

Garage
After purchasing my car in 2005, the original AC battery lasted 1 year. Installed an Optima Red Top. It lasted 1 year.
Tired of spending money on batteries, I made a trip tp Pep Boys and bought a Bosche battery. It's been in the car for 5+ years now, and still performs like new. I have since bought these batteries for my other vehicles and so far have a zero failure rate.
PredatorC6 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Why do they call it "common sense" when, in fact, it has become so uncommon?

That's my opinion, it outta be your's.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
Fly03Z06

Member #68577

The C5 has a inherit parasitic battery draw and requires a specific 120 minimum reserve capacity and voltage as discussed in Paul Koerners seminar videos on the C5 column lock issues.

The last time I asked Optima technical service, they still do not manufacture a battery specific for the C5 needs.

Choose the battery of your choice, but atleast educate yourself on the C5's electrical needs .....so that you save yourself additional troubles.
Part 1
http://vettetube.com/view_video.php?...25f49408d959ca

Part 2
http://vettetube.com/view_video.php?...3c1a84ce5276e9

Last edited by Fly03Z06; 02-13-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Fly03Z06 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

I have had two Delcos that died.

Then installed a Red Top and it did not fail, but was suspect in intermittent electrical issues (never failed to start the car).

Replaced with another Red Top after 2 years... it too was suspect at not delivering full power at all times - also never failed to "start" the car.

I replaced it with a Die Hard Platinum P4 34/78DT CCA 880 RC 135 which EXCEEDS the newer C5 requirements. Installed it last September and have had steady voltage for the longest period so far.

With batteries anymore I think it is luck-of-the-draw. The Die Hard was the most expensive battery I have ever purchased, but so far no complaints. Not sure I really trust any battery over 2-3 years - even though I never had a Red Top fail to start the car.
Choreo is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
sjsz06
DC Crew

Member #74700

My Corvette(s)
2002 EB Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettekid00 View Post
I happen to sell Interstate at my shop and I can say that in the 11 years I've been here, I have seen one battery go bad before the warranty date. It had a bad cell and was replaced free of charge after two years. The MT-75 interstate is a great battery for the vette. I had one in mine before i traded it in. It was in there the nine years I owned it. Tended every year from november to april with no problems. That can be bought for around $100.00.

I have nothing against delcos either. No problems with them in the past. I do recommend you stay away from a walmart battery or advance auto parts silver brand. they are junk. Even Die Hards don't seem to last like they used to. I also don't see a need for an Optima unless you are running amps and speakers. Then that would help a bit.
Then it must be about time for my WalMart EverStart MAXX 78S battery to die. Purchased 3/16/2010...
sjsz06 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2002 EB Z06
ARH LTs, VaraRam, VRX4 cam,
Dyno Tune by Vengeance Racing - 410 RWHP, 388 RWTQ
Old 02-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #9
Beau67
DC Crew

Member #110326

My Corvette(s)
2003 C5 50th Anniversary Convertible

A group 78 will fit perfectly. I just installed an Optima Red group 78 which has increased CA and CCA over the 75 AND sufficiant RC; and to me, most importantly, it's sealed.

The C5's unfortunately have a major wiring harness and electronics directly under the battery tray and I heard too many stories of leaking battery acid causing major and costly damage.

My CTEK battery maintainer works perfectly with it too.
Beau67 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Find something to laugh about - EVERYDAY!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau67 View Post
A group 78 will fit perfectly. I just installed an Optima Red group 78 which has increased CA and CCA over the 75 AND sufficiant RC; and to me, most importantly, it's sealed.
I think the RC of the Red Top 78 is still below the 120 RC recommendation is it not?

This is what I installed... and now that I bought mine it is on sale
http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinu...p-02850090000P
Choreo is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
Fly03Z06

Member #68577

Quote:

The C5's unfortunately have a major wiring harness and electronics directly under the battery tray and I heard too many stories of leaking battery acid causing major and costly damage.

My CTEK battery maintainer works perfectly with it too.
I've heard those stories too....
I believe you may find part of the leaking battery issue also involves the use of wrong battery and cable bolt torque. The most important number for the C5's battery is the required minimum 120 rc, even when it is maintained with a battery tender.

I recently won a Optima battery in a buisness card drawing at a ALMS race. Their engineers contacted me to find out which one I wanted. When I told them the one that works in my C5, .....they apologized. The Optima engineers are fully aware of the C5's electrical requirements and minimum 120 rc and still do not manufacture one to address the issues. Anyone will sell you a battery that will "fit" the hole, because they are not aware of the C5's electrical issues.

Last edited by Fly03Z06; 02-15-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
Beau67
DC Crew

Member #110326

My Corvette(s)
2003 C5 50th Anniversary Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choreo View Post
I think the RC of the Red Top 78 is still below the 120 RC recommendation is it not?

This is what I installed... and now that I bought mine it is on sale
http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinu...p-02850090000P
It is, But I've never EVER had a problem with that. It may be a Vette, but it's still a fairly basic GM system. My wifes Trailblazer SS (LS2) has far more luxuries and electrical demands than my Vette has and it came stock with an AC Delco that only had 90RC. The Red Optima 78s RC is 100. My last battery was a Dynacell group 75 that was only 90RC and it lasted almost 8 years and would last almost 3 weeks without needing a jump. I've never had ANY electrical problems or glitches.

Lots of Vette guys use Optima 78s and 75s (which has lower RC than the 78) and have never had issues.

All "Reserve Capacity" means is the number of minutes a fully charged 12-volt battery at 80 degrees Fahrenheit can provide continous 25 amperes at 10.5 volts (Useful voltage) until the voltage decreases. A battery charger/maintainer keeps your battery charged thus eliminates this concern.

Last edited by Beau67; 02-16-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Beau67 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Find something to laugh about - EVERYDAY!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:38 AM   #13
garllo
DC Crew

Member #71112

My Corvette(s)
C5 convertable

When it was time to replace mine(cracked terminal) I wanted an American made product. There is a fellow near my home that operates a shop that sells only batteries and related items. He sold me a Deka battery and I have had no problems for several years now. If you are interested in originality ,a battery is an easy change.
garllo is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
ScumOne
DC Crew

Member #119539

My Corvette(s)
1999 C5 4spd auto

My 99 C5 had some goofy electrical issues when I bought it. The headlights would come on...by themselves...during the day. There was some other weird crap with the HUD blurring as well.

When I got the A/C fixed my electrical guy said the battery was the wrong type, and didn't have the right specs for the C5. He put an AC Delco in (even though he's an Interstate dealer) it, no issues ever since.

I found it interesting he went with the Delco over the Interstate. He had the car for 10 days, so he had plenty of time to get an Interstate if he thought it was the right battery.

Go figure.

Last edited by ScumOne; 02-19-2013 at 05:53 PM.
ScumOne is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #15
Fly03Z06

Member #68577

Quote:
All "Reserve Capacity" means is the number of minutes a fully charged 12-volt battery at 80 degrees Fahrenheit can provide continous 25 amperes at 10.5 volts (Useful voltage) until the voltage decreases. A battery charger/maintainer keeps your battery charged thus eliminates this concern.
With the C5's parasitic draw it is critical to how your electrical system and BCM will function BEFORE you ever turn the key. The C5's unloaded battery minimum is 12.5 volts at 500 CCA per Paul's tech video.

Required terminal torque is 11 FT. LBS.

Anything less.................you get BCM gemlins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.