Avoided Disaster Thanks to GREAT shop in MN - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette Forums > C4 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C4 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
aklim
DC Crew

Member #66201

My Corvette(s)
91 Coupe

Avoided Disaster Thanks to GREAT shop in MN

Friday night, I towed the Vette up to Hitech Motorsport to get some investigative work done on the Vette. I have been losing oil pressure at WOT. That and breaking AC brackets and shredding belts. Mr Goodwrench was doing his best head-scratching act. For a few months, I have heard some light squeaking in the Ford Excursion and it sounded like the wear tabs on the pads. Figured I would fix it when I got back.

Somewhere about midnight when I was a few miles from my motel at Elk River, I hit the brakes and heard a scratching noise. Oh (O%$#O@@! I felt the truck and trailer being unsteady. Pulled over and smelled something burning. Limped it to the motel and checked in. It had to be the front right caliper locking up which trips the ABS. Found an O-Riley and waited till morning. Come morning, I went to Hitech and right outside the motel was O-Riley. Got 2 brake calipers, 2 caliper brackets and 1 jug of Dot 4 fluid. Life is good. Surely I can find someone to fix it.

Got to the shop about 0930 hrs. Talked to Bart about my Vette and asked if he could fix my truck so I can go 400 miles home. They had a tight schedule but worked me in. Well, apparently the brakes were fine. It was the Ford Excursion hub that gave way. Brian got the truck on the hoist, got me a new hub and fixed it. ALL ON A SATURDAY MORNING. By about 1:30 in the afternoon, I was on the road. Charged me about 2.5 hrs which I thought was more than fair seeing as how they had to heat out the studs on the wheel hub. Also I got to watch how Brian works. Talk about being anal when working. Studs were wire wheeled and anti-seized and appropriate lubricants used on all the surfaces like I would do it, mating surfaces all cleaned thoroughly.

I have had Brian do work for me before when I cannot diagnose it and Mr Goodwrench gives me that blank stare. He has always come thru. I would HIGHLY recommend this shop. They are are a full service shop and do everything in house.

Note, I have no ax to grind here. Just an extremely satisfied customer.
aklim is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Holley Stealth Ram, 42# injectors, AFR 190 heads, 1.6 intake RR and 1.5 exhaust RR, 230/236 - 110 lobe sep, 108 intake centerline (2 deg. advanced), TPIS Long Tube Headers, Random Tech Cat, Borla exhaust, Rossler Trans, HiTech Motorsport tuned ECM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
crowvet
DC Crew

Member #69765

My Corvette(s)
1967 copo coupe

Refreshing to hear a positive post on a shop. You wont get as many comments as you would have if you slammed them
crowvet is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
raidmagic
DC Crew

Member #1067

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

That's really cool that they went out of their way to help you like that. On a side note, you have to drive 400 miles to find a shop that can competently work on your car?
raidmagic is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sampson 9/22/97-1/1/05

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read

Florida muscle car enthusiast click here
Old 02-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
aklim
DC Crew

Member #66201

My Corvette(s)
91 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
That's really cool that they went out of their way to help you like that. On a side note, you have to drive 400 miles to find a shop that can competently work on your car?
Unfortunately so. I ran out of ideas on how to fix the oil pressure dropping to about 20 psi a few seconds after WOT and nobody could fix it. Also I was unable to get any traction for fixing the pulley and I also wanted to get something adjusted in the ECM programming.
Holley Stealth Ram, 42# injectors, AFR 190 heads, 1.6 intake RR and 1.5 exhaust RR, 230/236 - 110 lobe sep, 108 intake centerline (2 deg. advanced), TPIS Long Tube Headers, Random Tech Cat, Borla exhaust, Rossler Trans, HiTech Motorsport tuned ECM.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
rollingthunder88
DC Crew

Member #125201

My Corvette(s)
1988 standard coupe

Wow, always good to hear about a competent shop, which is kind of sad!!! I, thankfully, have a guy 5 miles away who is fair, honest, and a good wrencher!!!
rollingthunder88 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
ddregehr
DC Crew

Member #30032

My Corvette(s)
50th Anniversary Corvette Convertible (sold); 2002 Corvette Convertible

When you are ready to blow your C4 (no pun intended ), you need to check out Doug Rippie Motorsports in Buffalo, MN. http://dougrippie.com/ He can take things to a level that you can only imagine!
ddregehr is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
avengeusa
DC Crew

Member #117655

Garage
so what was the oil pressure issue caused by
avengeusa is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
aklim
DC Crew

Member #66201

My Corvette(s)
91 Coupe

We eliminated all the usual stuff but short of tearing it apart, they felt that it was ok to run till it breaks and fix it during rebuild. Apparently the pressure wasn't where it was preferred but was acceptable till rebuild time. We checked all the oil points for pressure and they were right where it said it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.