EEOC: We’ll Sue You If You Don’t Hire Criminals - Page 3 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > News Room
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

News Room This section is for discussing current events.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #31
HardcoreABN
DC Crew

Member #36463

My Corvette(s)
2000 Torch Red/Red Z51 coupe

As a business owner, why would I hire someone who is not qualified? I fully plan on doing criminal backround checks, credit checks, driving record checks, and service record checks on all applicants and have no intention of hiring anyone who has been convicted of a felony or fails any of the other checks. The credit check will be on a case by case basis, given the economic crash. Receive something other than an Honorable Discharge? You won't be hired. History of constant traffic violations? No chance in hell. In my field, there are more than enough qualified or people who are almost qualified that just need a little work that I would not have to worry about hiring someone who is unqualified.

Theft from within is one of the largest areas of loss of any business. That is one reason for being selective in hiring. Not just that, but your employees work and professionalism is the face of your company. First impressions are the only impressions. If a customer even thinks something is missing from his vehicle, not only will he not come back but he will tell everyone he knows and you have lost all of those potential customers as well.
HardcoreABN is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
ASE Certified Automotive Repair Technician in: Suspension and Steering, Brakes, Electrical/Electronic Systems, and Heating and Air Conditioning

402 LS2- Callies Compstar crank/rods, Wiesco pistons, 11.5:1 c/r, Custom 235/250 .621/.595 115+4cam from Martin @ Tick, CNC LS3 heads, Edelbrock Victor water pump, Melling oil pump, Halltech air intake, LS7 MAF, Jet-Hot coated LG long tube headers, Corsa Tigershark exhaust, Hotchkis sway bars, Monster level 3 clutch, return style fuel system, 2 stage nitrous plate system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #32
87vette81big
DC Crew

Member #117927

My Corvette(s)
1987 Corvette Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreABN View Post
As a business owner, why would I hire someone who is not qualified? I fully plan on doing criminal backround checks, credit checks, driving record checks, and service record checks on all applicants and have no intention of hiring anyone who has been convicted of a felony or fails any of the other checks. The credit check will be on a case by case basis, given the economic crash. Receive something other than an Honorable Discharge? You won't be hired. History of constant traffic violations? No chance in hell. In my field, there are more than enough qualified or people who are almost qualified that just need a little work that I would not have to worry about hiring someone who is unqualified.

Theft from within is one of the largest areas of loss of any business. That is one reason for being selective in hiring. Not just that, but your employees work and professionalism is the face of your company. First impressions are the only impressions. If a customer even thinks something is missing from his vehicle, not only will he not come back but he will tell everyone he knows and you have lost all of those potential customers as well.
Good Luck opening Your own Shop.
Your toughest customers are not men but women today.
Just care about when will my car or truck be done & how much $ ?
Men are still Men. If one guy is pissed off enough, he will knock the other the fuck out out cold. No need to call the cops.
Also, your a longtime Mechanic too.
One big concern is the security of your shop after hours.
Your Snap On Tool Box, MAC, Or Matco box.
Average mechanic has anywhere from $20,000 to $100,000 invested in tools.
In Illinois, they don;t even bother breaking into the tool boxes, entire box is loaded onto a power lift gate truck & off to Chicago they go back into an abandoned warehouse.
My boss got hit a few years back before I started working for him. Alarm still in place.
He has since bought a 12 gauge shotgun.
Blow the SOB's Cocks right off this time around.....
He lives right next door to his shop.
87vette81big is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #33
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette_Newb View Post
Got any reference proving the article is wrong?

It was pretty easy to understand, the law says they can't hired a twice convicted thief and they are getting sued for not hiring said twice convicted thief.
The only "reference" I need is the knowledge that the EEOC can't pursue a lawsuit based on "criminal history," as that is not a protected class.

The fact that you continue to be obtuse about the reality of what the EEOC regs are because that reality doesn't further your belief is laughable. You don't want information if its contrary to your preconceived notions. You don't want debate from people who know more than you. You don't want to understand. You want people to read your threads, gobble it up with a spoon and join into the paranoia.

Last edited by XQIZT; 02-17-2013 at 07:07 PM.
XQIZT is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Alexa" - 1985 Z51 - In memory of the last Corvette Dad owned.

"Desiree" - 1977 - Wife's car, with an attitude problem

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #34
Vette_Newb
The Copy/Paste King

Member #6180

My Corvette(s)
1989 L98 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XQIZT View Post
The only "reference" I need is the knowledge that the EEOC can pursue a lawsuit based on "criminal history," as that is not a protected class.

The fact that you continue to be obtuse about the reality of what the EEOC regs are because that reality doesn't further your belief is laughable. You don't want information if its contrary to your preconceived notions. You don't want debate from people who know more than you. You don't want to understand. You want people to read your threads, gobble it up with a spoon and join into the paranoia.

Bovard points out that the “biggest bombshell” in the new guidelines is that businesses complying with state or local laws requiring background checks can still be sued by the EEOC.

That's the jest of the article, with an example. It seems to me that your trying to say the sky isn't blue and that these people are dummies..
Vette_Newb is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Fascism is a religion of the state. It assumes the organic unity of the body politic and longs for a national leader attuned to the will of the people. It is totalitarian in that it views everything as political and holds that any action by the state is justified to achieve the common good. It takes responsibility for all aspects of life, including our health and well-being, and seeks to impose uniformity of thought and action, whether by force or through regulation and social pressure. Everything, including economy and religion, must be aligned with its objectives.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:06 PM   #35
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

Just because it's called a "bombshell" in one article doesn't make it so. Again, the EEOC has had these guidelines, specifically regarding criminal records and race disparity since 1969. They've simply updated them, but nothing "new" is occurring. So, I guess if you define "bombshell" as "news that is coming out of 1969", then yes...it's a "bombshell"...otherwise, it's much adieu about nothing.

Click here for more info about our cars and autocrossing and other Corvette stuff.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #36
XQIZT
You've been pimped!!

Member #80197

My Corvette(s)
1985 Z51, 1977 custom

*** Corrected post 33... "CAN'T pursue a lawsuit"....mistyped and posted "CAN pursue a lawsuit." ***

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.