Dear GM, (counterpoint) - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
OC Vic
DC Crew

Member #115382

My Corvette(s)
Had a C4 Vert, now waiting for C7

Dear GM, (counterpoint)

Perhaps DC is turning into the C7 haters club? I thought I'd lend my voice, (albeit a newbie) to present a counterpoint.

Dear GM,
Thanks for engineering such a kick-ass new C7 Vette!

Thanks for not making a "C6.5"!

I love the new technologies employed, and I love the provocative styling, reminds me of a jet fighter!

The C7 is the best Corvette in years! You guys at GM sure know how to shake things up a bit. Gone is the stodgy old GM. You didn't rest on your collective laurels! You didn't play it safe, you took a step towards the future, which we must do, to stay on top.

This base C7 is great, as much power as a Gen2 Viper.

The ZO6 and ZR1 C7s are gonna rock the world!

Hooray for GM, hooray for America!
OC Vic is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2001 Viper GTS, saphire w/silver stripes,
Striker Heads, Striker Cam, Jesel r/r's, Edelbrock Headers, Corsa cat-back, Penske tripple-adjustable shocks, Hypercoil springs, lightweight flywheel, Accusump, SSR rims, Baer rotors, Team Tech 5-point harnesses, 578 rwhp, 589 rwtq
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to OC Vic For This Useful Post:
bkuper (02-17-2013), Chris Draper (02-17-2013), Dagget427 (02-18-2013), elegant (02-17-2013), iowa61 (02-18-2013), ISIGNEDUPJUSTTOSAY (02-17-2013), leshelt (02-17-2013), raidmagic (02-17-2013), TommyFox (02-20-2013), Z06Fiend (02-17-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
ISIGNEDUPJUSTTOSAY
DC Crew

Member #120937

Exactly right!

I went to a ferrari event last night at a local car club. It was a dinner/speaking/slideshow event at a local vintage car club garage that had invited the local ferrari club.

At my table was a famous Ferrari photographer, several ferrari drivers, and a guy who is president of the local Viper club and just released a book of Viper photography.

What did we talk about over dinner? Well, several things, but the thing we spent the longest on wasn't ferrari's or vipers at all. It was the C7, and how they got to see it at the detroit auto show - and the guy got his phone out and showed us his personal pictures.

Everyone at the table loved it - which is surprising given it was a traditionally snobby ferrari crowd, and a Viper club president. People began comparing it to the new Viper, the GTR, and the Ferrari F12 -- all of which, I think, are wonderful comments to the new C7 styling.

Before I even made it to the dinner table, I walked up to a different group of guys near the bar, and they were talking about.... the new C7.

Everytime a manufacturer breaks with tradition, some of the old guard feels outraged about one thing or another (flippy headlights anyone, lol??) -- there's just no avoiding that. But, it's what you have to do from time to time to expand your market and keep your products relevant.

It seems that a lot of people who aren't traditional vette fans (myself included) absolutely love Corvette's new direction. There are also plenty of current vette fans that cant wait for the C7, so GM has nothing to be worried about.

Again, job well done.
ISIGNEDUPJUSTTOSAY is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ISIGNEDUPJUSTTOSAY For This Useful Post:
bkuper (02-17-2013), Dagget427 (02-18-2013), leshelt (02-17-2013), raidmagic (02-17-2013), Z06Fiend (02-17-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
Billy Johnso
DC Crew

Member #46870

My Corvette(s)
77 and 05 S/C

Once the C7 start's rolling down the road 90% of the haters will change their minds. You cannot get a feel for a car from pics, or videos posted online. A lot of people disliked the C6, still do, but I bet a lot of those haters changed their mind when they saw them rolling down the road.
Billy Johnso is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1977-stock

2005-A+A Supercharger-RPM trans-3000 stall Yank converter-Melrose headers-Xpipe-Borla touring mufflers-6psi of alcohol-tuned at Slowhawk Performance-573 RWHP 495 RWTQ-11.4 in the 1/4 at 122 mph spinning 1st and breaking loose in 2ndneed slicks!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia9w-bVmQsQ my burn out at 2:53
Old 02-17-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
rottnrog
DC Crew

Member #21788

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe- Sold now drive Cadillac CTS-V (4 door Vette)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Vic View Post
Perhaps DC is turning into the C7 haters club? I thought I'd lend my voice, (albeit a newbie) to present a counterpoint.

Dear GM,

I love the new technologies employed, and I love the provocative styling, reminds me of a jet fighter!

The C7 is the best Corvette in years! You guys at GM sure know how to shake things up a bit. Gone is the stodgy old GM. You didn't rest on your collective laurels! You didn't play it safe, you took a step towards the future, which we must do, to stay on top.

rottnrog is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Why is it easier to be a conservative than a liberal? Because it is easier to give a man the finger than a helping hand.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
raidmagic
DC Crew

Member #1067

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Johnso View Post
Once the C7 start's rolling down the road 90% of the haters will change their minds. You cannot get a feel for a car from pics, or videos posted online. A lot of people disliked the C6, still do, but I bet a lot of those haters changed their mind when they saw them rolling down the road.
Eh, I wouldn't call myself a hater of the C6 but I still don't like them. IMO they need the widebody to look right. Not trying to stir shit in this thread but I'm sure there will be an amount of guys that will never like it. Some because they really don't and others because they showed their asses so bad they can't backtrack now.
raidmagic is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sampson 9/22/97-1/1/05

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read

Florida muscle car enthusiast click here
The Following User Says Thank You to raidmagic For This Useful Post:
stinger430 (02-17-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
92Roadster

Member #36181

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
Eh, I wouldn't call myself a hater of the C6 but I still don't like them. IMO they need the widebody to look right. Not trying to stir shit in this thread but I'm sure there will be an amount of guys that will never like it. Some because they really don't and others because they showed their asses so bad they can't backtrack now.
...my ass is right out there to be seen, I still don't like the
ass end design but my opinion I guess is neither here nor
there cause it's to rich for my blood, for those that can
afford them, have a great time; but every time you pass me
buy I'll say wow what a fast Camaro....

....enjoy, you earned it...
92Roadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to 92Roadster For This Useful Post:
PNHNDLE96CE (02-21-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 05:44 AM   #7
johnb21
DC Crew

Member #120700

My Corvette(s)
Had a 53, 57, 59, 66, 67, 69, & an 02

Great post! So true! It is an amazing Vette and GM should be proud of the new design.

For a model to last it must evolve to keep the love affair going with past owner and to attract new customers.

We heard the same kind of stuff when the C-6 came out with fixed headlights. Seriously, people wanted to keep those pop up headlights that were a design feature of so many cars in the 80's?

If it really was a purist thing, then all Vettes should have six cylinders and automatics and be available only in white with a red interior.

Can't wait to get a new C7. Congrats GM!
johnb21 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 07:31 AM   #8
Texdentist

Member #76657

My Corvette(s)
2013 Coupe, 2009 Coupe - traded, '74 Coupe totalled, '77 Coupe sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Vic View Post

Dear GM,

I know it's impossible NOT to compare the Stingray to Ferraris, Vipers, etc. But GM filled it with the newest technology top to bottom and kept the base car in the $50k range. That is quite an accomplishment for a car this advanced and with the performance it is going to have. It's beautiful, it's fast, and it's in a price range that will make it accessible.
Texdentist is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Texdentist For This Useful Post:
ISIGNEDUPJUSTTOSAY (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
Enginerd
DC Crew

Member #118105

My Corvette(s)
72 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb21 View Post
Great post! So true! It is an amazing Vette and GM should be proud of the new design.

For a model to last it must evolve to keep the love affair going with past owner and to attract new customers.

We heard the same kind of stuff when the C-6 came out with fixed headlights. Seriously, people wanted to keep those pop up headlights that were a design feature of so many cars in the 80's?

If it really was a purist thing, then all Vettes should have six cylinders and automatics and be available only in white with a red interior.

Can't wait to get a new C7. Congrats GM!

And people seem to forget... the C1 did NOT have round tail lights (until the back end redesign before C2).
And yes, I know I was one of the ones who discussed the "ugly rear end" before the release, but I admit that I am now in the "the real thing is much better then the renderings" camp. I don't love the back, but I'm far from hating it. I think if the tear drop vents next to the lights were eliminated (reroute the air flow to the lower vents and enlarge/reshape them as needed to accommodate...tastefully), that would be enough to make all the difference; and the only one needed. But as is, the back is no deal breaker for me because I absolutely love the rest of it.
And for full disclosure, since although I come to DC daily, and have been for years, I don't comment much so no one knows me; I am almost exactly the demographic GM was targeting with C7: I'm 34, went back to school for a career change (mechanical engineering), and will be looking to "reward" myself when I get my degree. I love all types of cars, from hot rods, to the 458 Italia. I am part of the "Gran Tourismo and Forza generation" that they have been trying to get for years. The only aspect of the demographic that I am not a part of is that I am already a Chevy and Corvette fan, they didn't have to do much to win me over, although this can be considered part of it; they still wanted it to "be a Corvette." I am also influential with my peers when it comes to cars (but not much else ) and this is the first time I've had people around my age and younger ask me and/or show interest in modern Corvettes. For example, I had a long discussion with a fellow car nut and younger classmate about the C7 and showed him some stuff online he had not yet seen and he was excited about it, and this is a guy who has been a Honda guy since he's had his license; Civics, now an S2000, but all done tastefully, not a typical ricer guy. I've been a car nut my whole life, and specifically into Corvettes since my late teens (always liked them, but coming from a poor family, I viewed them as "out of reach" when younger), and this is the first time my generation as a whole is truly excited about the new Corvette.
Enginerd is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Enginerd For This Useful Post:
ISIGNEDUPJUSTTOSAY (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
92Roadster

Member #36181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post

And people seem to forget... the C1 did NOT have round tail lights (until the back end redesign before C2).
And yes, I know I was one of the ones who discussed the "ugly rear end" before the release, but I admit that I am now in the "the real thing is much better then the renderings" camp. I don't love the back, but I'm far from hating it. I think if the tear drop vents next to the lights were eliminated (reroute the air flow to the lower vents and enlarge/reshape them as needed to accommodate...tastefully), that would be enough to make all the difference; and the only one needed. But as is, the back is no deal breaker for me because I absolutely love the rest of it.
And for full disclosure, since although I come to DC daily, and have been for years, I don't comment much so no one knows me; I am almost exactly the demographic GM was targeting with C7: I'm 34, went back to school for a career change (mechanical engineering), and will be looking to "reward" myself when I get my degree. I love all types of cars, from hot rods, to the 458 Italia. I am part of the "Gran Tourismo and Forza generation" that they have been trying to get for years. The only aspect of the demographic that I am not a part of is that I am already a Chevy and Corvette fan, they didn't have to do much to win me over, although this can be considered part of it; they still wanted it to "be a Corvette." I am also influential with my peers when it comes to cars (but not much else ) and this is the first time I've had people around my age and younger ask me and/or show interest in modern Corvettes. For example, I had a long discussion with a fellow car nut and younger classmate about the C7 and showed him some stuff online he had not yet seen and he was excited about it, and this is a guy who has been a Honda guy since he's had his license; Civics, now an S2000, but all done tastefully, not a typical ricer guy. I've been a car nut my whole life, and specifically into Corvettes since my late teens (always liked them, but coming from a poor family, I viewed them as "out of reach" when younger), and this is the first time my generation as a whole is truly excited about the new Corvette.
....I think its great that you certainly like the new version
and admire GM for their innovation, but I also see that you
by your own measure fall into the 10% that can feasible go
out and purchase a $50,000+ vehicle as an "reward" for
their achievements I'm happy for you, I too came from a
financially strapped home enjoyed looking at and one time
sitting in a C1 as a young boy, but my excitement had to
wait 50+ years in order to obtain a Corvette and knowing
this would be my only chance at 60 years of age I had no
qualms about the 92 square taillights but also entertain
a thought of trading to a model I completely liked....

...but I think GM is trying to attract those customers that
see the imports design as attractive styling while trying
to incorporate that into the corvette, the imports brought
that style in this country with focusing rather on its
performance than style, and GM has walked away form its
sleek styling of the C3's.....

...actually I have not seen any indication of "this is the first time my generation as a whole is truly excited about the new Corvette"....

.... it just an old mans opinion....

...Enjoy your new ride to the fullest, you earned it.....
Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #11
Chris Draper
DC Crew

Member #3332

Time will tell, but I think as soon as the magazines start performance testing the C7, a lot of minds will change.
Chris Draper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette Info Center http://corvette-info.tripod.com
Corvette Racing History http://corvette-racing.tripod.com
Corvette Concepts History http://corvette-concepts.tripod.com
Corvette Info Center Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/corvetteinfocenter
Old 02-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
Enginerd
DC Crew

Member #118105

My Corvette(s)
72 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Roadster View Post
....I think its great that you certainly like the new version
and admire GM for their innovation, but I also see that you
by your own measure fall into the 10% that can feasible go
out and purchase a $50,000+ vehicle as an "reward" for
their achievements I'm happy for you, I too came from a
financially strapped home enjoyed looking at and one time
sitting in a C1 as a young boy, but my excitement had to
wait 50+ years in order to obtain a Corvette and knowing
this would be my only chance at 60 years of age I had no
qualms about the 92 square taillights but also entertain
a thought of trading to a model I completely liked....

...but I think GM is trying to attract those customers that
see the imports design as attractive styling while trying
to incorporate that into the corvette, the imports brought
that style in this country with focusing rather on its
performance than style, and GM has walked away form its
sleek styling of the C3's.....

...actually I have not seen any indication of "this is the first time my generation as a whole is truly excited about the new Corvette"....

...Enjoy your new ride to the fullest, you earned it.....
Thanks, but I haven't earned it yet. Got about two years to go, and then have to land a job to be able to afford one, because I sure can't yet.
But it's more complicated than simply me falling into the 10%. They want to appeal to my generation regardless of whether or not we can afford one, so it's much more than 10%. The Vette is the halo car for GM, they want us to desire it so we'll come into the showroom and buy what we can afford and than later in life, buy something else, than something else, and eventually, buy a Corvette, or a Cadillac, or whatever. It's another reason why the Corvette styling has shifted to have some of the corporate design cues, to build brand awareness and cohesion. It was a very difficult and fine line to walk for the designers, balancing that with tradition. Some say they the struck out, some say they hit a grand slam, but most think they at least hit a home run. I think they hit a come from behind three run homer in the top of the ninth (assuming the performance lives up to expectations).
Enginerd is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
RTGordon

Member #22113

My Corvette(s)
These tights make my butt look big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginerd View Post
Thanks, but I haven't earned it yet. Got about two years to go, and then have to land a job to be able to afford one, because I sure can't yet.
But it's more complicated than simply me falling into the 10%. They want to appeal to my generation regardless of whether or not we can afford one, so it's much more than 10%. The Vette is the halo car for GM, they want us to desire it so we'll come into the showroom and buy what we can afford and than later in life, buy something else, than something else, and eventually, buy a Corvette, or a Cadillac, or whatever. It's another reason why the Corvette styling has shifted to have some of the corporate design cues, to build brand awareness and cohesion. It was a very difficult and fine line to walk for the designers, balancing that with tradition. Some say they the struck out, some say they hit a grand slam, but most think they at least hit a home run. I think they hit a come from behind three run homer in the top of the ninth (assuming the performance lives up to expectations).
I hope your luck is better than mine. Got my degree in mechanical engineering in 2002 and still can't afford my "reward" Corvette.
RTGordon is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2000 Pewter/Black Coupe, gone.
1974 Blue/Silver Coupe, gone.
1982 Gold Coupe, gone.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #14
ISIGNEDUPJUSTTOSAY
DC Crew

Member #120937

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Roadster View Post

I'm in the same boat as the poster you were responding to. I'm almost 30, I'm out of school and working as a professional, paying off my loans, bought a GM car for my wife, about to assume a mortgage, and plan to upgrade to the C7 in the fall as soon as I can get my hands on the one I'm slated for on the dealer waiting list. All of this falls within our rather conservative and reasonable financial planning.

I think his post, my post, and all of the anecdotal evidence I've encountered really suggest a shift in attitude toward the corvette. Unlike the poster above who admits he's always been a corvette guy, I'm probably more typical of my generation in that I've had nothing but complete apathy toward the vette or GM's offerings until this year.

Even now, when I excitedly share with some of my friends that I'm going to upgrade to the new Stingray, some of them have a really judgmental look on their face - like "You're going to get rid of a BMW and drive a .... corvette??" It doesn't really have a desirable ring to it amongst most people in my generation.

Then, I grab out my tablet and start showing them the pictures and predicted performance specs. People are highly impressed and they want to know more - so it becomes a full-blown topic of the evening. We pretty much all agree that the rear is the weakest part of the car (not because of the lights) but several people actually defended it to me - which is a bizarre way to end a discussion that started with them wondering why the hell I would even want something like the corvette.

So, there's that example - and then in another thread here, I posted about a ferrari and vintage car club dinner I went to the other night where all sorts of people, young and old, were already engaged in very positive and excited discussions about the car.

So, I dont suggest that my own experiences count as evidence for you, but it is definitely out there. My generation wants to drive predominantly german cars (with a few guys going after lexus). Now, all of a sudden, after telling some friends about my C7 plans - at lease one of my friends is strongly considering one. Another friend, who frequently brags about his BMW M3, has now declared that he's probably going to upgrade to a Nissan GTR (which makes me roll on the floor laughing, because he couldn't stand the thought that my Stingray would smoke him, so he's going to spend nearly double what I am, at $100k plus, just to keep up with us vette Jonses.

The evidence is there, you just have to see it. The people excited by the car definitely include a younger demographic for the first time in a long time. The only people truly upset and outraged by the rear tend to be older vette purists, and you probably can't do any serious updating of the car without rocking the boat with those folks. GM did the right thing by being a little gutsy with this restyling yet remaining true to the car overall.
ISIGNEDUPJUSTTOSAY is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ISIGNEDUPJUSTTOSAY For This Useful Post:
AlexY (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #15
92Roadster

Member #36181

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISIGNEDUPJUSTTOSAY View Post
I'm in the same boat as the poster you were responding to. I'm almost 30, I'm out of school and working as a professional, paying off my loans, bought a GM car for my wife, about to assume a mortgage, and plan to upgrade to the C7 in the fall as soon as I can get my hands on the one I'm slated for on the dealer waiting list. All of this falls within our rather conservative and reasonable financial planning.

I think his post, my post, and all of the anecdotal evidence I've encountered really suggest a shift in attitude toward the corvette. Unlike the poster above who admits he's always been a corvette guy, I'm probably more typical of my generation in that I've had nothing but complete apathy toward the vette or GM's offerings until this year.

Even now, when I excitedly share with some of my friends that I'm going to upgrade to the new Stingray, some of them have a really judgmental look on their face - like "You're going to get rid of a BMW and drive a .... corvette??" It doesn't really have a desirable ring to it amongst most people in my generation.

Then, I grab out my tablet and start showing them the pictures and predicted performance specs. People are highly impressed and they want to know more - so it becomes a full-blown topic of the evening. We pretty much all agree that the rear is the weakest part of the car (not because of the lights) but several people actually defended it to me - which is a bizarre way to end a discussion that started with them wondering why the hell I would even want something like the corvette.

So, there's that example - and then in another thread here, I posted about a ferrari and vintage car club dinner I went to the other night where all sorts of people, young and old, were already engaged in very positive and excited discussions about the car.

So, I dont suggest that my own experiences count as evidence for you, but it is definitely out there. My generation wants to drive predominantly german cars (with a few guys going after lexus). Now, all of a sudden, after telling some friends about my C7 plans - at lease one of my friends is strongly considering one. Another friend, who frequently brags about his BMW M3, has now declared that he's probably going to upgrade to a Nissan GTR (which makes me roll on the floor laughing, because he couldn't stand the thought that my Stingray would smoke him, so he's going to spend nearly double what I am, at $100k plus, just to keep up with us vette Jonses.

The evidence is there, you just have to see it. The people excited by the car definitely include a younger demographic for the first time in a long time. The only people truly upset and outraged by the rear tend to be older vette purists, and you probably can't do any serious updating of the car without rocking the boat with those folks. GM did the right thing by being a little gutsy with this restyling yet remaining true to the car overall.
...I still stick with my ".actually I have not seen any indication of "this is the first time my generation as a whole is truly excited about the new Corvette", how
can you speak for a "whole generation".....

....I admire your ability to achieve so much in such a short
time, affording you the luxury of getting a prize possession,
but as we both understand there are takers and non takers
which according to me I call design flaws and I'm glad that
GM can count on some new customers and keep the line
going but remembering the negative aspects so one can
address that at a later date, I'm not here to rain on anyone's
parade, just an old man's opinion....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.