GM is re-vamping the new Malibu after just one year! - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
dobrenyr
DC Crew

Member #29319

GM is re-vamping the new Malibu after just one year!

For those that don't like the looks of the new C7 and are afraids that it might now get update or fixed, i have just heard that GM is doing a re-style on the new Malibu which just came out this past year... apparently sales did not take off as they expected. So after one year, they can do this on the Malibu so let's hope that they get the message on the C7. For those that love the C7 styling, you might have an opportunity to then purchase one of the most unique Corvettes ever. Always looking on the bright side !
dobrenyr is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Tricky
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dobrenyr For This Useful Post:
91redragtop (02-22-2013), stinger430 (02-22-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
OldVetteFan
Iron Fist in a Velvet Glove

Member #23592

My Corvette(s)
65 Coupe (Sold) 95 Blk Coupe (Gold Cert - Sold) 2011 Grand Sport

GM is going to have to do more than change the styling to get that car selling again. I own two older Malibu's - a 2004 Maxx and a 2010 LTZ V6 - and the 2013 was a major disappointment.

Now we're looking at a replacement for the 2004, and it doesn't include the 2013 Malibu.

Steven
OldVetteFan is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
If energy and enthusiasm were a substitute for experience and expertise, then I could hire my 12 year old to do this job.

NCM Club Ambassador
Master Ambassador - 2009
Old 02-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
dobrenyr
DC Crew

Member #29319

It was not so much about the Malibu as it is about the potential for GM to perform a quick re-style if necessary. This same logic can be applied to the C7. We had a debate a while back how they might refuse to update the styling and how much it would cost... but this example shows that they can do such a thing if it hits them where it counts.

I actually drove one the other day, it was ok.... nothing spectacular but fine as a beater. Actaully a bit bigger and nice. But it looks like Ford is becomming the interiour/exterior design leader as of late...
Tricky
Old 02-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
Chris Draper
DC Crew

Member #3332

I had to rent a 13 Malibu a while back....my God that car is terrible. The seats are obviously made to 400 lb Americans. You may as well have fitted a bench, they are so flat. The car drives like a 1980's Buick. The instrumentation look about a decade out of date.

It has a lot of issues.
Chris Draper is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Corvette Info Center http://corvette-info.tripod.com
Corvette Racing History http://corvette-racing.tripod.com
Corvette Concepts History http://corvette-concepts.tripod.com
Corvette Info Center Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/corvetteinfocenter
Old 02-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

I understand your motivation, but please don't get your hopes up too much. The production capacity for the Malibu is 312,000 units per year (5 day week). My info is a bit dated, but GM had 197,000 units sitting on lots and inventory at last count.

This level of volume enables amortizing tooling and engineering costs per car to a manageable number per car. The Vette annual volume is (very roughly) 10% of the Malibu's. Therefore, to obtain similar amortization of similar engineering and tooling costs, per unit, it takes 10 times longer.

On the other hand, there was a time in GM history that rather than respond to the market, they would have offered deeper discounts rather than redesign. So, yes, this new GM mentality is a good sign if the C7 doesn't sell well, but the numbers seem to really limit the possible response. JMHO
Longtimer is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
The Following User Says Thank You to Longtimer For This Useful Post:
AlexY (02-22-2013)
Old 02-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
AlexY
DC Crew

Member #8935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
I understand your motivation, but please don't get your hopes up too much. The production capacity for the Malibu is 312,000 units per year (5 day week). My info is a bit dated, but GM had 197,000 units sitting on lots and inventory at last count.

This level of volume enables amortizing tooling and engineering costs per car to a manageable number per car. The Vette annual volume is (very roughly) 10% of the Malibu's. Therefore, to obtain similar amortization of similar engineering and tooling costs, per unit, it takes 10 times longer.

On the other hand, there was a time in GM history that rather than respond to the market, they would have offered deeper discounts rather than redesign. So, yes, this new GM mentality is a good sign if the C7 doesn't sell well, but the numbers seem to really limit the possible response. JMHO
completely. If the C7 doesn't sell well, they're not gonna invest that kinda money after they've already invested so much. Worst case scenario they kill the Corvette in favor of something they can start with a clean slate, but I really don't see that happening either.
AlexY is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
dobrenyr
DC Crew

Member #29319

With a simple rear end cap and replacing the rear hatch, all cosmetic, they can quickly turn the looks issue around to be acceptable to all parties. A hint of split window would work wonders... it would cost big to replace all that substructure between the frame and the skin... i don't see them doing that so we are stuck with the basic shape which is not too bad...
Tricky
Old 02-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
spd98
DC Crew

Member #4658

the new Malibu isn't a bad car. it's a terribly AVERAGE car. It doesn't do anything bad but it's not a hot commodity either.

GM screwed the pooch on rushing the launch with only the ECO option available. This is an attempt to relaunch the car and disarm some of the critics.
spd98 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
dobrenyr
DC Crew

Member #29319

two slighly different updates:
While watching CARBUSINESS they were interviewing Ralph Gilles from Chrysler SRT talking about the Dodge Ram re-design and how the look has become iconic for their pickup brand and how they want to maintain critical styling ques and how careful they were not to offend their customer base. Wow, it seems that GM didn't care much for their customer base by comparison. Maybe that's why Chrysler is doing so well as of late, compared to GM.
The other item, everytime i hear of the "overwhelming" approval for the new C7 design by "everyone" i wonder why C&D in their latest issue's letters to the editor were ALL negative on the C7? Usually, you would get a mix of positive and negative comments, but in this issue, they were 100% negative... what's up with that ?
Tricky
Old 02-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
2011GSSSBlue
DC Crew

Member #117412

My Corvette(s)
2011 Grand Sport

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrenyr View Post
two slighly different updates:
While watching CARBUSINESS they were interviewing Ralph Gilles from Chrysler SRT talking about the Dodge Ram re-design and how the look has become iconic for their pickup brand and how they want to maintain critical styling ques and how careful they were not to offend their customer base. Wow, it seems that GM didn't care much for their customer base by comparison. Maybe that's why Chrysler is doing so well as of late, compared to GM.

The other item coming out of the Chrysler Camp in respect to their trucks. They are no longer Dodge Ram Pickups. They are now a separate division under the RAM Moniker. Watch their commercials and you see "RAM Trucks, Trucks are all we build". Pretty slick marketing plan.
2011GSSSBlue is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.