GM corvette or soon to be China corvette. - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette Forums > C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C7 Corvette - Facts | Info | Rumors The first C7 Corvette info is rolling in...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 02-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #16
TheMelkMan
DC Crew

Member #118968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
China is NOT Japan and this is not the 1980's. The China population is four and a half that of the US and for the first time in China history, the majority lives in cities. Manufacturing is the highest growth industry in China. Manufacturing is a receding industry in the US. This is NOT a coincidence.

I've travelled to the same four locations in China four times in the last 6 years. The changes are astounding - difficult to believe even seeing them. Four lane roads / parkways travelled on the first trip that were nearly empty but for some small scooter/tractor type vehicles were clogged a year later and were doubled in width a year after that. Last trip they were widened again but full of traffic. Our drive took twice as long as in that first year.

Car dealerships were nearly non-existent in these areas on the first trip. They now line that same road similar to any city in the US.

It is still a communist government. Wages are designated by the government to be higher while conditions are improving and OT rules getting tighter. 80 hours / week was the norm 6 years ago, now more than 60 is illegal and enforcement is unpredictable with spotty corruption.

A citizen must apply for and receive a permit to move to another city, but the workers jump jobs as frequently as wages rise. A manager of a plant where a worker was killed in an unsafe situation, is taken by the government and not heard from again.

We closed our US manufacturing sites in 2003 and 2004 because they could not compete with the manufacturing costs in China and our customers demanded China pricing that they could get from our competitors with more China factories. This month we announced the closing of our European manufacturing site for the same reason. Our China footprint is five times what it was in 2003.

Don't misunderstand, I am not endorsing the Youtube comments.

However, this is not paranoia. This is the business trend in today's world.

Yeah, but all of that is a result of our terribly myopic trade policies for the last 30 years... it's not some sort of GM-Chinese conspiracy. The fact that GM is trying to sell more cars to China is not in and of itself a bad thing.
TheMelkMan is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #17
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMelkMan View Post
Yeah, but all of that is a result of our terribly myopic trade policies for the last 30 years... it's not some sort of GM-Chinese conspiracy. The fact that GM is trying to sell more cars to China is not in and of itself a bad thing.
I completely agree about our myopic trade policy, and that there is no GM-Chinese conspiracy.

However, there IS a conspiracy / set of goals the Chinese government is pursuing that, if successful, will ruin the US standard of living. They target certain industries and then build hundreds of millions of square feet sites to employ a workforce that is much cheaper than the US, European and even most of South American workforce. They are stealing industry segments and become the dominant volume producers in the world. This is the power of a Communist Economic Plan.

As long as the China population continues to improve its standard of living, this will continue. With a population of more than 1.4 BILLION, this could continue for the next 100 years.
Longtimer is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors
________________________________________ ________

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 02-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
92Roadster

Member #36181

...there is a writing by a Japanese lecturer that commented on
retaliation against the U.S. after the bombings (not sure if I
have it 100%) being "the way to defeat the enemy is too
control their economy" but it seems both Japan & China are
doing very well at doing just that.....
92Roadster is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #19
TheMelkMan
DC Crew

Member #118968

Quote:
As long as the China population continues to improve its standard of living, this will continue. With a population of more than 1.4 BILLION, this could continue for the next 100 years.
It's true that China has seen explosive economic growth over the last few decades. They have done very well for themselves, but when you read stories like this: (BBC link) and hear about smog so thick you can't see past your own nose... you realize it comes with a price. I'm not so sure it can continue for 100 years. I think the Chinese people are slowly starting to realize that they may be shooting themselves in the foot by having an economy that is so dependent on cheap manufacturing.

China's economy is producing a lot of wealth, but who's really benefiting? Think about it. If you have unregulated industry and pay your people slave wages to cheaply produce widgets for the rest of the world, and then you ship those widgets out of the country... what are you left with? You're the one who gets the pollution and paper currency, while a foreign country gets the benefit of the finished good.

Because of this, not only does China have alarming levels of pollution, but their central bank has HUGE reserves of paper currency (mostly US dollars and euros). They have more US dollars in reserve than what is currently in circulation in the entire US economy, while the US Federal Reserve has almost eight times the amount of gold reserves as the People's Bank of China. Who do you think is in the better position? A central bank with $3+ trillion in foreign currency and 1,000 tons of gold, or a central bank with $0.15 trillion in foreign currency and more than 8,000 tons of gold? Gold makes up more than 75% of our central bank reserves, while it makes up less than 2% of China's reserves. The People's Bank of China has also been artificially devaluing their own currency in order to bolster their exports and keep manufacturing costs low, which has the unintended consequence of creating double-digit inflation for the Chinese people.

I'm not convinced that the Chinese economic model is really all that smart or in any way sustainable. Double-digit GDP growth becomes more and more difficult as you grow into an economic superpower. They're going to have to transition their economy away from being so dependent on cheap manufacturing, lest they continue to poison their population and suffer hyperinflation. It's not all rainbows and sunshine for the Chinese, they have plenty of problems of their own.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #20
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

There is no model, there are models that can be adopeted fairly quickly versus the Western methods. Because of the number of people, and the abject poverty of nearly half the population, I don't think "rainbows and sunshine" is the goal for the masses - just opportunities for a better life than we in the US had 150 years ago, for most of their population.

Being a communist government enables controls over their "unregulated industry" that do not exist in the Western world. They have the ability to change strategies and directions. They recently adopted Western-type pollution regulations that will be adhered to much more quickly and uniformly than in the Western culture.

Please don't misunderstand my point of view. I believe there is no better country, nor economic environment than in the US - IF protected properly. However, the world is too small today and the improvements in the standard of living for 1.4 Billion people comes at a cost to the rest of the world's consumers, including us.
'07:bought from a former sponsor, Z06 wheels and Vararam from former sponsors, Various accessories from Corvette Central and Corvette America. B&B Fusions with Corsa X pipe. Shine from Adam's
'87: refurbished all interior with parts from Corv Central '79: Interior refurb = Corvette America, and Corvette Central, T1Rs, Foose Legends
DC Sponsors

Corvette ownership is like owning your own fountain of youth ... and we get a sip from it each time the signal turns green. Watching for C8 fixes & improvements
Old 02-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #21
TheMelkMan
DC Crew

Member #118968

I don't disagree. They've definitely been trying to improve their environmental regulations, but that also means increased production costs and a less competitive manufacturing sector, which creates a challenge for them since their economy is so dependent on manufacturing. I've also read that corruption is a big problem in China, and apparently it's not unheard of for government officials to accept a bribe for turning a blind eye to environmental violations.

My basic point is that while we may have plenty of problems in this country when it comes to trade and manufacturing, I don't think those problems are insurmountable or that the situation is quite as dire as most people seem to believe.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:22 AM   #22
T.M.
DC Crew

Member #1158

My Corvette(s)
Slammed 02 6 speed with some mods

Wow... You mean the Internet is not all facts? Lol Duh... This site is on the Internet, plenty of facts here. Heck, 7 out of 10 GM cars built outside the US... A large GM headquarters in china,.., parts at your local dealer say made in china.... Ah, your right, it's all in my head.... Lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	2915  
T.M. is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
06 6 speed manual. Z51 . Lemans blue/white stripes. Kooks longtubes / xpipe / Corsa /... Vararam. Electric water pump... Monster clutch.. Customs tunes.. 2 1/2 in h drop and dark ass tint
Old 02-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #23
TheMelkMan
DC Crew

Member #118968

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.M. View Post
Heck, 7 out of 10 GM cars built outside the US...
This may come as a huge surprise to you, but the reason a majority of GM vehicles are built outside the US is because a majority of GM vehicles are sold outside the US. If you're going to be selling a lot of cars in a certain region, it makes sense to build factories at that location in order to avoid any import tariffs.

Quote:
A large GM headquarters in china
Do you know who else has a major headquarters in China? Ford, Volkswagen, Toyota, Fiat, and pretty much every other auto maker. Do you think it would make good business sense for GM to just ignore that entire market and leave it to all the other major manufactures?
Old 02-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #24
T.M.
DC Crew

Member #1158

My Corvette(s)
Slammed 02 6 speed with some mods

It's not a huge surprise to me. But the numbers are shifting more all the time, especially the past few years.

Yeah, other company's have headquarters, but I'm not talking about them. So the original question, how far will it go? Will GM end up china motors? China pimping it. !
T.M. is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
06 6 speed manual. Z51 . Lemans blue/white stripes. Kooks longtubes / xpipe / Corsa /... Vararam. Electric water pump... Monster clutch.. Customs tunes.. 2 1/2 in h drop and dark ass tint
Old 02-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #25
AlexY
DC Crew

Member #8935

Quote:
It's not a huge surprise to me. But the numbers are shifting more all the time, especially the past few years.

Yeah, other company's have headquarters, but I'm not talking about them. So the original question, how far will it go? Will GM end up china motors? China pimping it. !
No, never gonna happen, because while China might be great at building things (The Great Wall), they can't design for shit (it's still just a freaking wall)

Especially with Corvettes, since the vast majority of them are sold in the U.S. it only makes sense to build them here.
AlexY is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 12:10 AM   #26
iowa61
DC Crew

Member #17961

My Corvette(s)
1966 427 Roadster

China is a threat

But they're not the U.S.A.

The primary source of China's technical, manufacturing and engineering success is THEFT. And as their society enjoys the first fruits of partial freedom and consequent economic success (accelerated by THEFT), the playing field is leveling. ALREADY, some manufacturing jobs are returning to the U.S.

And that trend will continue.

But we forget the origin of this thread was the absurd proposition that China was going to takeover G.M. -- Supported by the equally absurd proposition that the U.S. government bailout of G.M. and Chrysler was a horrific failure (huh?).

At this writing we are all enjoying very active discourse on the amazing C7 Stingray and the only somewhat less amazing new Viper...

Neither of which would have had a PRAYER of existence (much less commercial success) without the bailout--demonstrably one of the smartest investments the American Taxpayer has ever made...

I look forward to Chinese buying a lot of both Dodges and Chevys...
iowa61 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #27
iowa61
DC Crew

Member #17961

My Corvette(s)
1966 427 Roadster

Only 77 posts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Roadster View Post
...you need to cut him some slack, he's only got 77 posts...
Incomplete... 77 posts PLUS... an L-72 roadster (factory side pipes, knock offs). Past owner of a '66 big block-36 gallon tank, '67 air conditioned small block roadster, '69 roadster, and '78 Silver Anniversary...
iowa61 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #28
The Dude
DC Crew

Member #120318

My Corvette(s)
In limbo....

Kewl. I like chinese food.
The Dude is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Rock on!
No...I can't spell...I'm a RedNeck!
Old 02-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #29
jimmyb
DC Crew

Member #21428

My Corvette(s)
2008 AO vert sadly sold. 2005, 2001, and 1998 verts all gone but not forgotten

Quote:
China is NOT Japan and this is not the 1980's. The China population is four and a half that of the US and for the first time in China history, the majority lives in cities. Manufacturing is the highest growth industry in China. Manufacturing is a receding industry in the US. This is NOT a coincidence.

I've travelled to the same four locations in China four times in the last 6 years. The changes are astounding - difficult to believe even seeing them. Four lane roads / parkways travelled on the first trip that were nearly empty but for some small scooter/tractor type vehicles were clogged a year later and were doubled in width a year after that. Last trip they were widened again but full of traffic. Our drive took twice as long as in that first year.

Car dealerships were nearly non-existent in these areas on the first trip. They now line that same road similar to any city in the US.

It is still a communist government. Wages are designated by the government to be higher while conditions are improving and OT rules getting tighter. 80 hours / week was the norm 6 years ago, now more than 60 is illegal and enforcement is unpredictable with spotty corruption.

A citizen must apply for and receive a permit to move to another city, but the workers jump jobs as frequently as wages rise. A manager of a plant where a worker was killed in an unsafe situation, is taken by the government and not heard from again.

We closed our US manufacturing sites in 2003 and 2004 because they could not compete with the manufacturing costs in China and our customers demanded China pricing that they could get from our competitors with more China factories. This month we announced the closing of our European manufacturing site for the same reason. Our China footprint is five times what it was in 2003.

Don't misunderstand, I am not endorsing the Youtube comments.

However, this is not paranoia. This is the business trend in today's world.
Obviously, China is not Japan and this is not the 1980's....however, the similarities of then and now are real and cannot be ignored. At some point, the piper must be paid in China (environmental concerns/worker's rights/etc) and then, just like with Japan, the field will level out. Japan had the same reputation in the 1950's/1960's as China does now (cheap labor/questionable quality of products). When the correction occurs, which, IMO, will happen in the next 2 decades, I wonder who will take that the place of China today (Korea, Indonesia, etc)? Let's not forget that it is AMERICAN companies that are driving much of the demand for cheap Chinease goods (Walmart, for one).

"Those who ignore history are destined to repeat it"

Jimmy
jimmyb is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #30
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Obviously, China is not Japan and this is not the 1980's....however, the similarities of then and now are real and cannot be ignored. At some point, the piper must be paid in China (environmental concerns/worker's rights/etc) and then, just like with Japan, the field will level out. Japan had the same reputation in the 1950's/1960's as China does now (cheap labor/questionable quality of products). When the correction occurs, which, IMO, will happen in the next 2 decades, I wonder who will take that the place of China today (Korea, Indonesia, etc)? Let's not forget that it is AMERICAN companies that are driving much of the demand for cheap Chinease goods (Walmart, for one).

"Those who ignore history are destined to repeat it"

Jimmy
We'll have to agree to disagree. IMO China will continue to steal Manufacturing jobs from the rest of the world for decades - at a minimum. Yes their costs are going up, but remember they started at $.19 / hour. Even today and over the next several years, it will still be a lot lower than US wages.

Many Electronics firms have built manufacturing facilities in Viet Nam and Malaysia, others in Hungary. However, the China government continues to support this area of manufacturing, making facilities cheap to state supported plants.
DC Sponsors

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.