[PART 1] "No one loves these vettes" - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > General Corvette Topics > Peter Max's Corvettes
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

Peter Max's Corvettes A dedicated section for the lost Corvettes of Brooklyn.

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com
Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 11:32 PM   #1
Poncherello
Grey Squirrel

Member #5040

My Corvette(s)
Looking

"No one loves these vettes"

The lost Corvettes of Brooklyn
Digitalcorvettes.com exclusive photos!

By: Poncherello

After reading the article on NY Metro.com I decided I needed to see these cars that we all love so much.

I started my quest on Friday morning, I located what I thought was the garage after a lengthy search. The garage I located was locked and turned out to be the wrong location. I was thinking to myself on the way home, "there is no way I can just forget about this". So I started to research the area a little more and low and behold on Tuesday I located the condominium complex that housed this garage. After a brief chat with the security guard I was on my way to the parking spaces that time seems to have forgotten.

As I walked down the ramp into the darkened bowels of the building I couldn't help but wonder to myself "why has no one come to rescue these unattended prizes". Once inside I encountered a lone janitor who directed me to the garage manager. Having located the manager and inquired of these jewels....his initial response was "no corvettes in here", I thought to myself, "that can't be...this has to be the right place".

As the manager walked off I turned back to him and said, "Sir, I know it's been a while but I know this is where we parked them". He turned around with a smile and responded, "they're just where you left them, right over there". He pointed to the darkened corner of the garage to a chain link fence that seemed invisible at first glance. As I approached the gate there was a lone Corvette out side blanketed with 15 years of dirt and dust......fingered in the dust on the rear window was "No one loves these vettes", How true that seemed at the moment.

Once I opened the gate and stepped inside it was like stepping back in time. It was as if the world around us was non existent. It was surreal, I wasn't sure what to think At first I just squeezed between the cars parked bumper to bumper some touching the car in front or behind. I had never seen so much dirt and dust in my life. Walking by each car I noticed that on the driver seat was a single sheet of paper with the captions "Year, Make, Model, Description". The handwritten ink on each page was faded to the point that it became unreadable. As I stood there in the middle of history I just wondered why, why would anyone just leave these American icons uncared for and unloved.

These are original, unmolested examples of America's finest sports car. Each car looks to be in pristine condition except for some minor bumper damage on a few of the late 70's cars. Not even a tear in the upholstery of the older ones. Some of the mid 50's cars appear to sit on their original tires, flattened from years of no use. It seemed as if these cars screamed for attention, to be taken out and driven as they had originally been intended.

I silently walked through the cars, taking pictures and looking in the open windows at the seemingly haunted interiors. The side of nearly every car has a strip of paper taped to the side showing how Peter Max wants to paint them as part of his art project, a project he says he will revitalize. It's hard to believe that there are hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of vintage cars just discarded like broken toys.

It's enough to make one scream. The thirty minutes I spent there seemed like five. I was so overwhelmed that I know I didn't get every picture I wanted. I'll definitely be back there again. As I closed the gate and walked out past the manager he asked if I knew the owner......I responded, "no, I'm just someone who cared enough to come for a visit".

I hope you all enjoy looking at the pictures as much as I enjoyed taking them. Feel free to ask any questions you like.

Link to full size photos

Poncherello is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2005, 12:04 AM   #2
Patrick
DC Crew

Member #1

My Corvette(s)
Current: 2003 Convertible .... Previous: 1996, 1996 GS, 2001 vert, 2002 Z06, 2003, 2007 Z51, etc...

Those pictures are incredible. The writeup is fantastic as well. Thanks for this contribution.
Patrick is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2005, 12:16 AM   #3
johns65vette
DC Crew

Member #34090

My Corvette(s)
1965 Roadster

I wonder what the chances are of these going up for sale? Of course the poor man (me) won't have a chance

Was there any Big Block C2's? Do you think we could pose as the owners, and just tow all of them outta there Heck I'll drive from California to N.Y. to pick one up
johns65vette is offline   Quick reply to this message
John & Christine Rodko...65 Triple black roadster...350, TKO600, 4:11's, sidepipes. Getting prepped to do an SRIII Motorsports chassis, with LSx engine
Old 05-11-2005, 12:25 AM   #4
CorvetteInfo
History

Member #6073

Excellent work...

Should you and your IMF team choose to accept this assignment, your next challenge will be to get ahold of Peter Max to discuss getting these Vettes cleaned up by DC volunteers..

As always, should you or any of your IM Force be caught or killed, the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This post will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck, Ponch.
CorvetteInfo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2005, 12:34 AM   #5
Longtimer
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #3668

My Corvette(s)
'07 Z51 6Mn NCM delivery, '79 L82 4 sp gymk - Gone '87 Z52 4+3, 76 L-82 4 spd

Ponch,

Very well written and I'm sure the pics are very representative. Thank you for going to all the trouble.

I'm so stunned and saddened by the pics that I can't think of anything to ask right now. So many of them with windows down and interiors drying out. It looks like Max had already started to desecrate these wonderful cars. I hope he never has time to fulfill his talent-less, evil plans.
Longtimer is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2005, 01:11 AM   #6
taco
DC Crew

Member #21938

Good work.
Lost Vettes were found.

Now try finding Osama Bin Laden.
taco is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2005, 01:52 AM   #7
racerw
DC Crew

Member #4349

My Corvette(s)
08 2LT, 6 speed Z51 coupe, Comp grey wheels

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many were there? Is this the MTV give away? Where they gave away a vette for each year. Not sure what year that was, I just remember seeing them all on a transporter on MTV. Believe me I wanted to win that contest. This is awesome, someone needs to contact the owner and give these vettes come love. Ill take a C2 if they are giving them away. When should I come and get it? HAHA, I wish. What are the years? Great find. Would love to see more pics. What are the other cars in the back ground? Is this a parking garage? How many people know about this? I have some vette love to give.
racerw is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2005, 01:57 AM   #8
racerw
DC Crew

Member #4349

My Corvette(s)
08 2LT, 6 speed Z51 coupe, Comp grey wheels

Sorry, I have another question. Why do they all or some have a stripe down the side of the cars. Several have about a 4" stripe that changes colors as it goes down the car. What is that?
racerw is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2005, 02:02 AM   #9
vettecore
DC Crew

Member #10745

My Corvette(s)
Black '94 LT1 - 6 spd

Angry damn it

It's a corvette graveyard

I wish I was in the states so I would rescue a couple of those
vettecore is offline   Quick reply to this message
<<<I Don't Drive Fast ... I Just Fly Low>>>
Old 05-11-2005, 02:08 AM   #10
mzzag
DC Crew

Member #9009

I

If I were there I would take one of each model
mzzag is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2005, 04:40 AM   #11
Corz
I use man gel

Member #7

Re: Excellent work...

Quote:
Originally posted by c5d
Should you and your IMF team choose to accept this assignment, your next challenge will be to get ahold of Peter Max to discuss getting these Vettes cleaned up by DC volunteers..
I'm only 2 hours away, sign me up
Corz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2005, 05:13 AM   #12
stanleyp
DC Crew

Member #16851

My Corvette(s)
'08 Coupe, '05 Coupe (Sold),'65 coupe (Sold)

P.S. Ponch: Arrest Peter Maxx for violating our senses!!!! Or at leastthrow him in back of the truck with the road kill.
stanleyp is offline   Quick reply to this message
"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." -Homer Simpson
Old 05-11-2005, 05:34 AM   #13
Z06 Parrot
Account Disabled.

Member #15527

Excellent thread and thank you Poncherello!

Poncherello, that was EXCELLENT!!!!!!!

Thank you for taking the time getting those pictures. This is gotta be one of the best threads I have ever seen here on DigitalCorvettes.

Any chance of putting this up as a sticky?

I think all the members here should see this. The title almost threw me off. I originally thought it was going to be about something else before I clicked on the thread as I was unsure what the title meant. But, boy was I pleasantly surprised!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Z06 Parrot is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2005, 05:46 AM   #14
stanleyp
DC Crew

Member #16851

My Corvette(s)
'08 Coupe, '05 Coupe (Sold),'65 coupe (Sold)

Re: Excellent work...

Quote:
Originally posted by c5d

As always, should you or any of your IM Force be caught or killed, the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This post will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck, Ponch.
I believe I have found my mission in life......
stanleyp is offline   Quick reply to this message
"Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try." -Homer Simpson
Old 05-11-2005, 05:58 AM   #15
SS/SC
DC Crew

Member #8909

My Corvette(s)
its in the driveway... damn it, its a cobalt

Thank you for getting those Pictures! Its really sad how someone can just let these amazing cars just sit there.

any plans on going back?
If you are it would be cool to know the Vin #s on the 53 & 55 because of their real limited productions.
Thanks again Ponch, you rock
SS/SC is offline   Quick reply to this message
you aren't this cool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.