Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

What is your reaction?

• You gave me a heart attack.

Votes: 125 71.4%
  • This wasn't a real shocker.

Votes: 50 28.6%

BREAKING NEWS: After 52 years GM says "no more Corvette" - yanks famous sportscar

11K views 108 replies 101 participants last post by  xXxFoNxXx 
#1 ·
BREAKING NEWS: After 52 years GM says "no more Corvette" - yanks famous sportscar

(Confirmed now with 9 sources inside GM - Flip on the news!)

Folks, I'm as blown away as you and I ask for you to just be patient as we work the phones this morning to try to get an understanding of what the heck just happened.

Yes, as the headline says, GM announced today that 2006 will be the last model year for possibly the most recognized car on the planet, the Chevrolet Corvette.

(Update: A portion of GM's press conference today was shown on Fox News and we are trying to get a copy of that online. Anyone Tivo it?)

(Update#2: I saw a full replay of GM's live press conference this morning. Very sad, but very true. On CNN just a moment ago).

So far all we know is that this has something to do with GM's current financial woes but April 1st 2006 will be the last day of production for our beloved sportscar, the Chevrolet Corvette.

APril fOOlS. Did we get you? Vote above, and don't forget that the best revenge is to f00L someone else!

See less See more
#2 ·
This time the media gets it right...

"The media got it right (again).

These past two weeks, the automotive press have smelled blood in the water and have been falling all over themselves trying to paint an ugly portrait of General Motors.

I experienced this media frenzy firsthand recently when one of my responses to a question was taken way out of context. The resulting uproar caused a lot of confusion and panic. I'd like to set the record straight
for the entire GM team, especially those of you involved with Corvettes.

During the annual Morgan Stanley conference, I fielded a number of questions including one that focused on the health of our brands. Unfortunately, several media translated my answer into a statement that declared we were considering eliminating one or two of our brands, specifically teh Corvette.

Now, for the record, we have pulled the plug on the Corvette.

I blame myself, because I should know better. It's always dangerous to field a speculative question, especially in an environment in which the media is grasping for anything the least bit negative. And then, in a little game of "gotcha," Automotive News and others even wasted more ink to parse a transcript of my remarks.

So, here is the truth sans media bias. Buick and Pontiac will be around for a long time, refreshed every year with strong new products that appeal to each brand's unique strengths and reach both core and new customers. Look no further than Cadillac, GMC and Chevrolet, and soon Saturn, to see what we define as true commitment with regard to building our brands.

Frankly, I also find it a bit over the top, even for the press, to assume that General Motors would use a public forum to make such a profound and impactful announcement if it were not true.

Case in point: Our decision to close Corvette, while painful and very difficult, was the end result of a lot of long, hard thought and grueling (and private) internal debate. Even though we handled that matter skillfully and delicately with all our key audiences, we learned a lot. And I can assure you that one lesson we did not learn was to make such announcements casually.

The absurdity of this decision just puts this whole situation into context and once again calls into question the integrity of certain CEO's.

I say Amen to that.

Bob"

#6 ·
WHAT!!! They're pulling the Chevette! I can't believe this, what is the world coming to? Next thing you're gonna tell me is that they will stop making the legendary small block and stuff'n the ecotec into the full-size truck lineup... now that would be something to think about, especially with the gas prices lately. Hmmm... interesting.

That was an awesome April Fool's Joke that you all did. Keep up the good work guys. Maybe next time you will trick me better than this April Fool's Day. Haa!!!

#7 ·
ahhh you jerk !! :laughing: YOU cant do that !! :laughing: :laughing: Seriously i wasnt even expecting that its not even april yet where i live ! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: you got me :smack :bang

#25 ·
I sat down to DigitalCorvettes.com this am with my morning coffee to headlines of 'no more corvette' after 2006.
All the corvettes I have owned over the years flashed before me. Wonderful memories starting with a 66 convertible. This couldn't be true but it was.....

You got me good!! Thank goodness it was April Fool!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.