Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Can't get window to roll back up

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Bill Davies 
#1 ·
I rolled the drivers side window all the way down and now it only comes back up about an inch. It will roll back down and then back up an inch...over and over, but won't go up further. I've tugged on it, pushed on it, opend the door, slammed the door, etc...nothing. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
I rolled the drivers side window all the way down and now it only comes back up about an inch. It will roll back down and then back up an inch...over and over, but won't go up further. I've tugged on it, pushed on it, opend the door, slammed the door, etc...nothing. Any thoughts?
What does it sound like when the window stops? Do you hear gears grinding or does it just stop or...?

#5 ·
if it makes noises like they suggest then probably gears like they mentioned, if no noise then probably motor went out. have someone work the switch while you pull up on the window and if it goes with no abnormal noises you should just need a new motor.

#6 ·
Well, the update is, I went back out an hr later and the thing rolled-up fine. The noise was more like the regulator was catching on something, hitting something dead hard and stopping. No issues since. Could it be that the windows aren't getting used a lot in the winter and something in the motor is not liking that?

#7 ·
Well, the update is, I went back out an hr later and the thing rolled-up fine. The noise was more like the regulator was catching on something, hitting something dead hard and stopping. No issues since. Could it be that the windows aren't getting used a lot in the winter and something in the motor is not liking that?
Take the door panel off and look for a loose regulator mechanism. It's been many years since I took out a C3 window regulator, but it isn't all that hard. Worst case scenario, you remove the entire regulator and check the motor and gears. Ebay has many vendors with the various regulator parts.

#8 ·
You can test the motor by making up 2 wires and run directly from your battery. Run the negative post wire to the motor body and the positive post wire to one of the terminals of the motor. On my '79 these motor wires are brown and blue, one is for up the other down(driver side).

I suspect your motor is good since you were able to get the glass back up, but if it happens again it will help you eliminate some causes.

I personally would suspect your switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.