Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Hemi Charger Concept.........(pics)

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  STURG 
#1 ·
....of 1964...:laughing:

See less See more
#4 ·
Everything needs to be considered in the context of its time . . . . I remember when this show car came out in the early 1960's, it was considered pretty cool, and parked next to a stock 1964 Dodge convertible it was pretty outrageous. While it didn't really have much to do with the forthcoming 1966 Dodge Charger except the name, it's a good example of how the major manufacturers used to create a few concept cars every season to send around to the various auto shows. Too bad that both the cars and the shows are few and far between now.

#5 ·
Yup. I remember seeing it in the car mags at the time. I thought it was pretty cool then. Not so much now. :laughing: I didn't remember that it had the 426. I'm thinking that was in the development stage at the time. In '64, I was thinking their big boy was the 413 - and not a hemi.

#8 ·
This car predates my engineering career at Chrysler (1969 - 2006) but is clearly based on a '64 Dodge (probably done before '64). Not sure what was in this car but the 426 Hemi debuted in race trim only in February, 1964 at the Daytona "500" followed closely by the cross-ram drag versions. The "Street Hemi" came out with the '66 models, in part to make the engine a "production piece" for NASCAR legality. The first production Charger was the not-so-nice looking '66/'67 fastback.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.