C3 stock & mini-tub tire size questions - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Mid America Motorworks
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID
Mid America Motoroworks

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 03-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #16
brent319
DC Crew

Member #113953

My Corvette(s)
76 LS1/Richmond 6

Here is Jeff's '72 in primer. It is at Custom Image and has the flares installed. I think it looks amazing. I am getting CI flares soon and will have 335/30/18's on the back with stock trailing arms. The only minor mod to the suspension to make room for the wheels was to have the VBP monoleaf cut down a tiny bit just to make sure. Can't remember if it was a 1/4 or 1/2 inch.

brent319 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #17
Richard454
DC Crew

Member #43340

My Corvette(s)
71 V12 restomod vert (Plan A) 73 L82 4 speed (Plan B)

As Rigg's said- there's a whole lot to move inward to do tubs-

If I'm not mistaken- I think the later C3's can handle wider tires w/o flares- and since you're talking 72- 285's might not work.

On my 71- I'm running 285's on 18 x 9.5 w/ 4.5 BS with offset arms and coilovers PLUS flares-
I could go a little bigger though-but was not able to find the wheels in the right width & offset aka back spacing...w/ out really ramping up my budget...

Richard

Here's what's in the way....

Richard454 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #18
phantomjock
DC Crew

Member #90013

My Corvette(s)
1978 - original owner

Exclamation Caution -- Frame Mod

Well, that will be the tile of my new thread - but the advance warning fits here for clemsontiger.
The members are right - to go bigger - you'll need to chop the frame.

I'm in the middle (HAH!) of a Body off - Pro-touring/gmachine/cornercarving/track car/sometime dailydriver MOD.
I'm building a whole new rear IRS - wishbone uppers and H-bone lowers, new uprights, etc, etc.

Not meant to be a Hijack - but once you commit to the frame mod -- You won't be driving for a bit!

I'd suggest Flares and you could maybe get by with wheel spacers - and pass on the modified Trailing Arms.
BECAUSE: Once you pull them - who knows what you'll get into next?

Cheers - Jim

BTW - That new thread is more than a few weeks off...
phantomjock is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #19
skd81shark
They call me, Hugh Huffner

Member #11084

My Corvette(s)
1981 Corvette, 1980 Corvette Covertible

Not to mention that just the offset arms ready to go in are a 2k proposition not including labor- shipping and trimming spring etc.

Last time I had my stock arms rebuilt that was an 1800 bill.

Not to be a jerkMethinks you are wayyyyyyy off in the $$ for your car. I think 10k for power train and 8 for suspension (VIP suspension system is 5k-includes rack and pinion conversion- all parts new- shipped and includes labor)is much more realistic. I ended up at 1800 for the front suspension and steering last year.
you don't seem to have a pad for the replace ment of the old stuff to put up with new power?

What about rebuilding the engine, the trans, conversion for trans, driveshaft, cooling system, labor, shipping, flashing and programming the computer etc?
skd81shark is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
EO1(SCW/SW/SWCC) SKD
"The world's finest Combat Engineers...Seabees...since 1942"
Old 03-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #20
clemsontiger
DC Crew

Member #115223

My Corvette(s)
C3 1972 LS powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by skd81shark View Post
Not to mention that just the offset arms ready to go in are a 2k proposition not including labor- shipping and trimming spring etc.

Last time I had my stock arms rebuilt that was an 1800 bill.

Not to be a jerkMethinks you are wayyyyyyy off in the $$ for your car. I think 10k for power train and 8 for suspension (VIP suspension system is 5k-includes rack and pinion conversion- all parts new- shipped and includes labor)is much more realistic. I ended up at 1800 for the front suspension and steering last year.
you don't seem to have a pad for the replace ment of the old stuff to put up with new power?

What about rebuilding the engine, the trans, conversion for trans, driveshaft, cooling system, labor, shipping, flashing and programming the computer etc?
A couple things:

1. Looks like I'm sticking with 285's...I'm just not feeling the flares right now and I'm def not doing the major work you guys are talking about to go inward with the tires.

2. I know all projects tend to go over budget but I'm still thinking I can stay close to budget. Not planning on doing any major suspension or steering upgrades. Since I'm not really adding all that much "new power." Stock the car had 300hp...I'll now be at 345ish...shouldn't need anything major for that little boost in power. The conversion isn't really about power for me anyway, it's about reliablity.

3. I'm now thinking I'm going to keep the TH350 and just bolt the LS1 in front of it which will eliminate any issues transmission and back. Cooling, flashing and harness are all included in the $5k for drivetrain. I know I can get a LS1 for $2500-$3000 (they are a dime a dozen at that price...does that make any sense? lol). That leaves me $2k for the above mentioned items as well as brackets for A/C and engine mounts.
clemsontiger is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
1972 LS Powered Vette
Old 03-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #21
phantomjock
DC Crew

Member #90013

My Corvette(s)
1978 - original owner

Realist!
That's a plan that might be executable.

But, I may be crazy!
Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #22
Curby
DC Crew

Member #68914

My Corvette(s)
2000 Convertible, 1982 Crossfire, 1973 L48 Coupe, 1972 LS5 Coupe, 1971 Convertible

I went with NITTO NT05 315/35/17 on a 17" x 11" 3.75" offset which gives me plenty of room under the car for a sway bar and fiberglass spring. I could have gone wider and more offset, but the 315 is the widest tire I could find in a 17" rim size, and I had the wide flares from Custom Image Corvettes, so it was a simple choice.

Curby is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Triple Black 2000 Z51 LS1 Convertible
Black 1982 L83 Crossfire Injection Coupe
Metallic Yellow 1973 L48 Coupe
Millie Miglia Red / Black Road Race 1972 / ZZ454 Coupe
Ontario Orange 1971 M21 Convertible
Old 03-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #23
Excidium28
DC Crew

Member #35421

My Corvette(s)
69 Vette 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsontiger View Post
I'm wanting to do a 19 or 20" rear wheel and 18's on the front of the '72 I'm about to start. I'd love to do a mini-tub and fit 325's like I have on my C4, but, need some advice: What's the largest size tire I can do if I leave the wheel wells stock? What's the thought on doing a mini-tub? Is this something that's easily done w/o screwing up the interior of the car too bad?
On my 69 I have offset trailing arms and flares and I'm running M/T Drag Radials 325 X 15 on 12'' rims, fit's real nice. I also ran M/T ET Streets 13.50 x 28 x 15 on 12'' rims, you can go on my face book ( Paja Agatonovic ) there's pics of my Vette on there.
Paja
Excidium28 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.