Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

The Car is Packed and CEurope Awaits

59K views 254 replies 20 participants last post by  jack panzica 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Forum Members......

I am going to spend the next two months doing research for a possible trip to Europe with my 66 Roaster.

I will attempt to drive to as many countries as possible in a 8 week period. Late August to October 2012

My goal will be to see and meet as many owners of classic corvettes in Europe as possible. Same format as my 48 state trip, back roads, stops at members houses, visits to castles, car collections , beaches, beer, wine, cheese and other continental wonders.

I will seek out "rare corvettes " that have found a home in Europe.

I will document this trip with pictures, posts and video for a possible documentary TV pilot project .

My posts over the next few months will contain information on the following subject:

Car preparation
Insurance
Shipping/ Air Travel
Travel permits
Routes
Gas / Oil Needs
Legal Passport Travel Permits
Forum Member Locations Car Locations
Mechanical Support Abroad
Family and Financial Support

As you can see, there are many factors that must be addressed in order for this trip to take place.

So buckle up your seat belts and get ready for a ride that "Buzz and Todd " would be proud of.......

Jack

Important ...... European Owners........

If you would like me to visit you , your car club and your car (s)

All generation corvettes are welcome ....

Please PM me with your location in Europe...... I will only put the town or nearby city on the map. Not your addresses........

As the map fills with with dots (locations) I will be able to draw a real route.

The map below will be the projected route. It covers most of Europe and will be the map that I will add the locations .

This will be the map you will click on to see trip progress. It may take a few moments to load.......

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...82,14.238281&spn=40.242802,133.066406&t=m&z=3

I better get cracking on my languages..........

See less See more
#162 ·
Some added information. Most of the Scandinavians are "not" retired. They get 5 weeks of vacation a year and this trip will be 4 weeks long. They will be drivings a lot of wonderful Caddies, Lincolns , and other 40's - 80's American muscle and luxury cars.

They are always on the look out to buy more. If you have an interesting car, does not have to be rare, but is unique, old tow trucks, or work vehicles . You can check the route and contact the group as they move across the country.

They are a fun bunch of men and women and kids, and you will enjoy meeting them.

Jack

#163 ·
Smile you are on candid camera !

I have been honored with a article in AMCAR Magazine, leading lobbying and American Car owners organization in Scandinavia. Thanks to the many Norwegians who made my visit unforgettable, well somethings I may want to forget....not many...

http://www.amcar.no/

Jack

#165 ·
European Corvette Forums

I am, as the Corvette Vagabond ,proud and honored to announce that my post "Visit to Finland with a C-2" is at almost 50,000 views on the Finnish corvette forum. Hard to believe such a response in a country with only 5.5 million people. They truly enjoy life, hard work, and of course "Corvettes"

http://finnshark.com/forum/index.php

I have heard from some members of the German Corvette Forum , that I should mention my post on their forum.

I am very proud to announce the the Corvette Vagabond has had over 50,269 views of my European Trip. Many thanks to Yankeededandy (Martin) on the forum for introducing me to a great group of Corvette enthusiasts.

http://www.corvetteforum.de/thread.php?threadid=52062&sid

#166 ·
Trim polished and installed

I am continuing with engine bay clean up and maintenance. The hood has been repaired and painted. My heater motor, still works but has a loose bearing, and rattles when turned on. I had thought it was the fan hitting the enclosure, but after taking motor out and bench testing it, the motor itself rattles. I can move the shaft in and out about 1/8" or more.

I have ordered a new motor as I don't believe you can take the motor apart. Only $29 from Zip Products for a new one. I will use the old fan as it is still in good shape.

Even though I completed a restoration of the engine bay only 3 years ago, 50,000 miles will produce a little dirt and grime.

On the trim, the photos show how I put on the front piece. It is very important to make sure the there is room under the rubber, to slip in trim. Soap and cleaning out all the sealer from windshield install will help.

I should have the car back together in a few days.

Motor Fan Overflow

Trim need to find midpoint

Job done

Hood

#167 ·
A magical moment !

You walk around grumpy, nothing seems right, people will ask, whats wrong ?

But we know what is wrong, and we have done something to fix it.

But you have to wait, just a bit if you use the right vendor.

And then it happens..you come down the driveway, afraid to look up....and then you do ....

And then the magical moment ! You float out of the car and walk up to the door and there it is....

In my case, Zip Products, new heater motor and other little goodies

#168 ·
Rebuild the Holley 4160 or leave it alone ?

As I prepare the car for a long season of driving both in the US and Europe the engine has been my focus.

The car has 50,0000 miles on engine since rebuild in 2010

New carb Holley 4160 put on in 2010 Correct L-79 66 Roadster

All new wires, timing springs, oil, (1,200-1,500 mp Qt.) plugs

Car began to get 9-10 mpg in winter after I got it back from Europe (Dec)

Was getting 14-15 hi 12 mpg town

Put in all new stuff as listed and now car runs great.

5,000 gallons of gas has gone through it.

I have worked on the carb before and am familiar with setting floats
etc.

Should I , do nothing as the car is running fine

Should I rebuild carb with all new parts from Holley with successful outcome

Should I rebuild carb with horrible results , poor performance and lots of self recriminations

Should I send the carb to midyearvett and save a fortune in gas because I will not be driving my car while he has my carb

Should I ask Dahogan to ask Frank , because I have not told him about my plan

I do need to get Lars paper on modifications to the Holley heat shield that I want to install to prevent accelerator pump boil over.

What would you do ?

Jack

ps does the gasket go directly on intake then insulator, or insulator the gasket - carb

#169 ·
I don't remember a thing

I remember going out to the garage, gas fumes I woke up with gas and oil on my hands. What could have happen in 30 minutes ?

I took the car for a ride and was hungry

I got back in my car and drove toward home.

I remember posting to Frank.....it gets hazzy ...

There was a ride to Portland, I remember saying hello to some friends

and then I looked in the garage

Frank, I found it , wet and oily , put it in a box , you should get it in a few days

#170 · (Edited)
Le Mans Trip Corvette Vagabond

Hello to all,

Sorry for the long delay in stories, but I have been busy getting things in order for this summer's travel. Mostly getting my personal life in order , so that while I am having a great time traveling , my obligations at home are taken care of . Thanks again Patrica and Adam.

Le Mans Tour June 16 - 25 2013

I have the honor of being invited to attend the 24 hour Le Mans race by the Corvette Club of France. They have a special area reserved for cars and a famous BBQ on Sat. night during the race.

Andre Boer of the "Dutch Corvette Collection "

http://www.autobedrijfandreboer.nl/en/museum

is sponsoring part of my trip by lending me a C-5 Silver Corvette to drive for the week. I land in Netherlands on June 17, and will be picked up by Johan Boer, one of Andre's 3 sons, and taken to Wezep, home of Andre and Dutch collection.

On Tuesday , I leave Wezep and head toward Normandy, picking up Dutch NCRS and UK members along the way. We stay overnight in a small town , and reach Le Mans on Wednesday , June 18 th.

Lots of activities during the week at the track and off location. I hope to bring you pictures every day. I may meet two of the top drivers for the both the Corvette and Ferrari race teams, Oliver Gavin , Corvette team and Olivier Beretta , Ferrari and former Corvette team driver.

Lots of Corvettes to see, many of the Dutch NCRS members are driving 60, 63, 66 cars and lots of C-3 to C-6 Corvette owners.

Thanks for all your support over the years and I have enjoyed sharing my travels with you. Let me know if you have any special requests.

Jack
CorvetteVagabond.com
@corvettevagabond

I hope the weather is not like this, New Hampshire a few days ago

I hope it is more like this

#171 ·
Last night on my trip

Hi,

As I prepare to head back to Europe, I have been re-reading my 48 state and Europe awaits posts and came across this post of mine on the last day of my trip. Here it is , I still feel this way .

"As I reflect back on my Journey this last night

I think back to the question most asked by the many men and woman that I have met on this adventure

What was the best part of the trip?

All the people and places aside......

What truly was the best part?

Every morning getting in my 1966 Corvette Roadster starting the engine and driving driving and driving

Every day for almost 3 months Passing cars accelerating up mountains flying past slower cars getting waves and hello's

A daily dose of high speed sharp turns and long straightaways

I have been privileged to drive my midyear corvette every day as fast as possible day in and day out

So I have told you what the best part of the trip was for me

Time for you to have your trip short or long Get in your car and drive it

You love the car The car loves you

Drive your Car

Jack
"

#172 ·
I thought you would like this card !

Just wanted to share a wonderful card that my very understanding wife gave me as a send off to Le Mans in two weeks. Without my families support , none of my adventures would be possible. To all the significant others that support their partners passions , Thank you.

ps She said, " Have a good time "

Jack
Corvette Vagabond

#173 ·
The Viking are coming to the US

It is going to be a very busy week in late June. I am meeting over 200 Vikings who are bringing almost 100 vintage America cars back to America to drive the Lincoln Highway.

http://brianbutko.wordpress.com/2011/10/19/norwegian-plans-for-2013-lincoln-highway-tour/

We know the dock workers are having fun driving their cars all over NJ , but that aside, Tour is from June 30ish to end of July. I will be in France for the Le Mans race June 16-25, Arrive back in Portland Me on Tuesday. I had planned to drive my car down to NY-NJ that weekend to say hello and send them off to the wild wild west of New Jersey. No, I am not driving to San Francisco with them.

If you like or have a Vintage car, you will be in heaven seeing some of these cars. They will be traveling from NY to San Francisco on the Lincoln Highway, one of the first cross country roads in America 1913.

I will post contact numbers to call in US once they arrive.

https://www.facebook.com/lh2013
They have a link on Facebook and other media.

This is one of the cars coming

#175 ·
Thanks a lot

I really enjoy my trips , the people I meet, the cars I see, the places that I visit.

And most of all, sharing my travels with those who may never get a chance to do what I do.

To encourage Corvette owners to drive their cars when ever possible. The more these cars are seen on the road , the more they will stay alive in the memories of both young and old.

Lots of pictures to come of Le Mans trip.

Enjoy

Jack

#176 · (Edited)
Corvette Vagabond lives off of land (in France ? )

Starting to make a check off list of things needed for the Corvette Vagabond's return to Europe this Sunday.

I leave Portland , ME on Sunday, June 16, 3 pm and get to Amsterdam , Netherlands on Monday morning June , 17th, 10 am.

Here is a picture of of Amsterdam from last fall on the 2012 Tour.

This link will take you to my Goggle map, showing the first day's drive of 350 miles from Wezep, NL. to Forges les Eaux, France.

Stay the night and head to Le Mans , France on Wed, June 19th. Lots of photos and vids if possible of the road trip.

I will be driving a C-5 provided by Andre Boer from his collection of cars. " Dutch Corvette Collection. link to collection http://www.autobedrijfandreboer.nl/

Map Link Update

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...F0CaQ&oq=l&doflg=ptk&mra=ls&via=1,2,3&t=m&z=7

#177 ·
Lost in Traffic Paris France

Bonjour,

It was great driving into Paris until I made a turn , lost in traffic for 3 hours, so this time I will go around Paris on my way to Le Mans from Netherlands.

Corvette Vagabond

Lots of activities during race week at Le Mans. I hope to post pictures every day. Wine, Women, Cars, should be fun

#178 ·
Le Mans Trip Corvette Vagabond

How hard is the parking lot at Le Mans. It seems that no one goes home for extended periods of time. I have slept in my C-2. Is a C-5 more or less comfortable. More adventures for me. Any first hand tips from the peanut gallery on 4 days and night at Le Mans would be appreciated. My hosts, the Corvette Club of France , told me not to worry. And as Alfred E. Newman once said " What me worry ? " I fly off to Europe, camera , computer, phone, fast dry pants and a "sleeping bag" ?

Long back straight , speeds at 170 +

Behind Grandstands

Many little cottages like this in the Loir Valley in France not far from Le Mans. French Finance Ministers built their summer digs like the one below. Own it today, lose your head tomorrow, and a new owner smells the roses for a little while. How 16th and 17th Century Real Estate agents worked in France at the time. :rofl:

#179 ·
Weather problems Fight on Monday not Sunday

I will be in Europe on Tuesday not Monday as planned. Flight problems from Portland ME to Philly. Just have to drive fast to make the date of cake and coffee in Belgium.

Tuesday, I drive from Wezep , Netherlands, to Belgium for lunch with some hosts from last year's trip. Then on to Forges les Euax , small town in France , (hotel stop) . Wendsday, on to Le Mans.

Lots of activities at the track and town. Many photos to follow

Jack

#180 ·
Corvette Vagabond lives off of land (in France ? )

Hi,

I am in a small town just south of Le Mans. Staying for a few days with a group of NCRS members from the UK and Netherlands.

Jack Humphrey, of the NCRS US, is running a judging session, and today they are judging 3 cars.

Tom Falconer of UK has organized the Farmhouse Inn that we are staying at. La croix Joreau, www.lacroixjoreau.com.

Later , I am off to Le Mans to shoot pictures and meet the members from the Corvette Club of France, who have invited me to Le Mans.

I have been driving a wonderful C-5 for the week and I have to admit , it is fun to drive, AC , Auto and fast.

Some pictures of the judging workshop last night and the farm

Car that I am driving in front of my room

#182 ·
#184 ·
Corvette Race Team at Le Mans 2013

Hello & Bonjour to all,

While I am getting my car ready to go tomorrow to NJ to join the Vikings in the new world for the Lincoln Highway Tour send off, I thought you might like the warm up lap of Le Mans that I shot.

The Corvette Race Team cars are shown. Just click on the link

http://youtu.be/sL0nVWiVAxQ

#185 ·
Corvette Race Team at Le Mans 2013

Here is the actual start of Le Mans shot by me 2013

Click on you tube link not picture for video..... full screen to get full effect of start

Jack

http://youtu.be/Vl-vgdSO3yU

Attachments

#186 ·
Clutch Pedal Pivot Rod Repair

I had started out for NYC last week to join the Scandinavians in a send off of starting their Lincoln Highway Tour 2013.

As you recall, my pedal was heading left. Well about 3 miles away from home the pedal came off. Tow truck brought it back home and I was in my other car and off to NYC. I was fortunate not to have it break in the middle of CT or MA.

Once back home I took on the job of repairing the pedal. I ordered a new pivot rod and had it welded back on to pedal. The following pictures will give you an idea what it looks like to do the repair.

First you have to take out the seat and steering column 1/2 hour

You have to take off the clutch spring and cover along with the column hardware . You can see the column hole in firewall . Also notice the bolts that hold the master brake cylinder and two above hold the pedal assembly to firewall

Column out complete , do not take apart , just pull out after removing under cluster supports.

Parts laid out on table. column parts in order , pedal assembly

Broken pivot rod and replacement rod inserted in pedal

Original Capacitor for brake lights

Pedal installed into assembly

The bushings used are the plastic ones use also in the headlights and convertible top latch assembly. Just re grease and insert pedal pivot rod and re-clip

All done . Total time about 4 hours without rushing.

#187 ·
Rod Fix for Clutch pedal

I had started out for NYC last week to join the Scandinavians in a send off of starting their Lincoln Highway Tour 2013.

As you recall, my pedal was heading left. Well about 3 miles away from home the pedal came off. Tow truck brought it back home and I was in my other car and off to NYC. I was fortunate not to have it break in the middle of CT or MA.

Once back home I took on the job of repairing the pedal. I ordered a new pivot rod and had it welded back on to pedal. The following pictures will give you an idea what it looks like to do the repair.

First you have to take out the seat and steering column 1/2 hour

You have to take off the clutch spring and cover along with the column hardware . You can see the column hole in firewall . Also notice the bolts that hold the master brake cylinder and two above hold the pedal assembly to firewall

Column out complete , do not take apart , just pull out after removing under cluster supports.

Parts laid out on table. column parts in order , pedal assembly

Broken pivot rod and replacement rod inserted in pedal

Original Capacitor for brake lights

Pedal installed into assembly

The bushings used are the plastic ones use also in the headlights and convertible top latch assembly. Just re grease and insert pedal pivot rod and re-clip

All done . Total time about 4 hours without rushing.

But wait there is more !

There is more to it. Tim on the NCRS asked me about the replacement rod. I have some more to add to my post . Here is is

Jack

Hi, yes you can buy just the rod. It is about $15 from Zip vs $70-85 for complete pedal, without pin plate for clutch rod.

But back to your question. The rod as you can see has a machined end that is rectangular. Mine broke off after 150.000 miles , as I replaced the rod 35 years ago. They are only good for 150,000 miles.

I ground off the weld spot down to pedal surface. Just popped out piece of rod still in pedal. The stamped slot in pedal was perfect with no distortion.

If the pedal is bent or the slot is distorted, I would have gotten a new pedal. The rod is a press fit and I gently hammered it in to butt up against pedal.

Unfortunately , they machined the slot for the clip about 1/8 " to close to pedal. When you butt the rod against pedal for maximum strength and put the pedal back in the assembly, the clip slot can not be seen , not allowing the clip to be put back on.

So you have to back it out about until you can see the slot to clip. When you do this, the rod barrel is 1/16 " + away from flush with pedal, allowing the flexing of shaft over time , leading to breakage. Since I will be dead long before it breaks , I did not machine the clip slot out 1/8 ".

They must be using the same dimensions from 35 years ago, and they were wrong then and are now....

Jack

#188 ·
Welding Photos

I found the photos of the welding of the pivot rod to the Clutch pedal. Special thanks to Cottage Road Service Center, in South Portland , ME for the weld. Dan did the work. I take my regular cars to them and my corvette for special projects that require a lift or welding.

Parts on welding table

Dan ready to fire up the welder

Put back in pedal assembly

Dan with finished assembly

#189 ·
Europeans coming to Maine for a vist

Hello to all,

Sorry for lack of posts since I got back from France and the Le Mans race. I think 4 years of travel and posting just got to me. I had trouble sitting down looking at pictures or doing posts. I was driving my car every day when possible.

Good news, I am back in the saddle and will host 2 couples from Berlin , Germany. They fly into Boston, drive up to Portland , Maine, stay for 3 days, with me lending my car to them to explore the coast of Maine.

Matthias's parents where very kind to me on my first night in Germany, by letting me stay with them in their castle.

Here are some photos of my time with them. I will post more once they arrive. I am still waiting for a few of my US hosts to come up for a visit.

Nice parents

Matthias's 66

Frank's Bat mobile

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.