Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

The Car is Packed and CEurope Awaits

59K views 254 replies 20 participants last post by  jack panzica 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Forum Members......

I am going to spend the next two months doing research for a possible trip to Europe with my 66 Roaster.

I will attempt to drive to as many countries as possible in a 8 week period. Late August to October 2012

My goal will be to see and meet as many owners of classic corvettes in Europe as possible. Same format as my 48 state trip, back roads, stops at members houses, visits to castles, car collections , beaches, beer, wine, cheese and other continental wonders.

I will seek out "rare corvettes " that have found a home in Europe.

I will document this trip with pictures, posts and video for a possible documentary TV pilot project .

My posts over the next few months will contain information on the following subject:

Car preparation
Insurance
Shipping/ Air Travel
Travel permits
Routes
Gas / Oil Needs
Legal Passport Travel Permits
Forum Member Locations Car Locations
Mechanical Support Abroad
Family and Financial Support

As you can see, there are many factors that must be addressed in order for this trip to take place.

So buckle up your seat belts and get ready for a ride that "Buzz and Todd " would be proud of.......

Jack

Important ...... European Owners........

If you would like me to visit you , your car club and your car (s)

All generation corvettes are welcome ....

Please PM me with your location in Europe...... I will only put the town or nearby city on the map. Not your addresses........

As the map fills with with dots (locations) I will be able to draw a real route.

The map below will be the projected route. It covers most of Europe and will be the map that I will add the locations .

This will be the map you will click on to see trip progress. It may take a few moments to load.......

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...82,14.238281&spn=40.242802,133.066406&t=m&z=3

I better get cracking on my languages..........

See less See more
#3 ·
I've sooooo wanted to do that with my '69. I spent time all over Europe with my time in the military and my job after retiring from the AF. Every trip I would dream what it would be like to have the Vette with me. Come on lotto…
I know of a guy on the ‘other’ forum “DEMBO” who lives in Belgium and has a great ’74 he has restored by himself. Although not “rare” as you mentioned; I’m sure he has a million stories on his restoration and all the issues of parts, suppliers, and local government issues dealing with classic cars. I saw the car when it was about 80% complete and he’s done a wonderful job. I believe it’s on the road now. His input might make for some good info for your documentary. There are a number of European C3 members here and on CF if you are interested.
I wish you the best of luck on your trip and will be looking forward to seeing the pictures and the video. I’m sure glad there is a subscribe function for these threads… :)
Scott
“MyRed69” on CF

#5 ·
Fan Clutch

Fan clutch.....

I am working on the engine bay area........items mentioned in other posts.......I took off my original clutch fan about 8 years ago.....thinking it was the problem with overheating........I replaced it with a GM part bought at a GM Chevy dealership.

I am going to put back on the original, since a new DeWitt Radiator cured the problem.....

Pictures of the two clutches , notice the difference in the stud lengths and the housing around bearing.....and one thermal spring and the other a thermal plate...unit

Was the back of the clutch painted orange ? or did I do it late one night and forgot ?

both

Fan with H and W on centers

#6 ·
wait, you are shipping your vette to and from europe?

#7 ·
Yes

I did the US in 2010

and hope to do Europe this summer fall......see my 48 states post.........

I will camp out....stay with European Corvette owners as I had in the US

I am on a German Corvette forum and my post has gone viral......4 pages or more...same in Sweden, Finland, Norway, Holland, Switzerland ....

Should a be a great trip.....lots of pictures , video

Castles, cows, windmills, beer.....wine...cheese ...cars....parties

I will post on all the preparation ......shipping...insurance...permits....etc

There are many corvettes in Europe....some brought over by servicemen....or bought and shipped to them in Europe.....some sold their cars ....some took them home.

Jack

#10 ·
I need my towel

Hi Jason,

Good to hear from you, hope all is well in Salt Lake City.

If I can put all the parts together...the European trip could top all of my adventures

The members in Europe seem to be younger.....maybe I will get to stay up late and party.....

Went to bed early quite a bit on my US trip....prunes and soft food.....I forgot that if you own your car for 30 or more years.....you probably are not going out dancing at night

Not so in Europe...................

Lots of 69 to 80 C3's .....very popular in Europe....

Take care

#11 ·
Gas a problem ?

The locations and visits to Corvette owners who would like me to stop by has grown to the point that I have more stops than days in trip.

One stop is this Dinner in Finland. Looks like a fun menu , and I can see Finlanders hanging out , right out of the 50's

http://www.diner.fi/

Here is a link to the Finland Corvette Forum. You can read it in English in the Visitors lounge

http://finnshark.com/forum/

The Northern Europeans really love c-2 and c-3 cars. C-3 being the most popular. A very good place to sell a C-3

Jack

#14 ·
Blog Link

Hi,

I have started up my Blog: http://jackpanzica.blogspot.com/

I will write more personal information in the blog. Not tech information ,but more personal interactions with Europeans and my thoughts as I travel.

You can also make comments on the blog and become a follower.

I will try to keep it more up to date this time. I was so tired at the end of the day on the 48 state trip, the blog suffered. Hope to do better this year.

#16 ·
Mile and Miles How many miles ?

On the 48 state trip the distance was 19,238 and SebringBill was the closest with 19,650 ...

Who can guess the Europe trip distance ? The map below is a projected route, not the actual. Who knows where I will go once I get there. But I will follow the general directions of this map.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...11.25&spn=38.990385,130.78125&t=h&z=3&vpsrc=1

The winner gets a weekend stay at the ocean in Cape Elizabeth.

#17 ·
I haven't done much traveling in Europe, so I'm going to take a stab in the dark at 12,468.

Next time you do a tour of the states stop by Salt Lake on a weekend and Donna and I will entertain you a little later. Believe it or not, it's not all mormons and sobriety out here. :laughing:

#18 ·
TV Reality Show

Hello and Good Spring to All,

I have been looking at several TV productions on Car Travel, Classic Cars and other Car type shows.

Many of you have asked about doing a show on my adventures....

What would you like to see a show that would feature my travels in Europe. The people I meet and host me, car collections and historic places would be shown.

I would travel basically alone and would have to survive on a limited budget as I had in the US tour. Remote cameras in car and one camera man following for distant shots and interviews .

Please list the things that would make you come back and watch week after week. All suggestions are welcome.

What kind of interaction do you want to see?

Your feedback will help me create a show that we all will be proud of. After all the show is about you and your love of these wonderful machines that we give life to........

Jack

#20 ·
Hello and Good Spring to All,

I have been looking at several TV productions on Car Travel, Classic Cars and other Car type shows.

Many of you have asked about doing a show on my adventures....

What would you like to see a show that would feature my travels in Europe. The people I meet and host me, car collections and historic places would be shown.

I would travel basically alone and would have to survive on a limited budget as I had in the US tour. Remote cameras in car and one camera man following for distant shots and interviews .

Please list the things that would make you come back and watch week after week. All suggestions are welcome.

What kind of interaction do you want to see?

Your feedback will help me create a show that we all will be proud of. After all the show is about you and your love of these wonderful machines that we give life to........

Jack
seems to me that the key ingredient to good TV is drama. Unfortunately most "reality" type shows have to manufacture most of it, but it certainly keeps people coming back. Unfortunately it's the dangerous/inconvenient type situations that would produce drama on a trip like this (breakdowns, bad weather, etc).

The other obvious selling point is T&A. Not sure how many Corvette driving euro's happen to be gorgeous women, but the more you can squeeze in the more horny old bastards would keep tuning in every week :laughing:

#19 ·
Nordkapphallen Norway

I thought you would like to see a live cam of Nordkapphallen, Norway.

This is the furthest north that you can drive a car in the world I believe.

Should be fun in August....looks a bit chilly now, it is the picture at the bottom of page, just click on it

http://nordkapp.livecam360.com/cam3/flash/main.php

Jack

#22 ·
Which photo do you like the most ?

Hi, I need your input....working on logos for 48 state trip and European adventure.

Which one the most , which one the least

Jack

Front Emblem

Rear Emblem

Rear Emblem 2

Gas Cap

Big Sur

Mountain View

#25 ·
Sounds like a great trip, Jack. I am a bit confused by one thing though. The link to the restaurant where you're going to stop. It is called The Classic American Diner. Now, I've been an American for a long time and I've been a classic American for several years now and I ain't never ordered most of the stuff on the menu. Whassup with that?? Don't sound 'Merican to me.

Here's the menu

Lounas - Lielahti
MAANANTAI 11.06.2012
Sinihomejuusto- broilerisalaatti 7,90 € vl g ilman leipää
- vihersalaattia, sinihomejuustoa, broileria, paprikaa,
päärynää, ranchkastike ja paahdettua leipää
Savujuustoburger 8,00 € l
- savujuustoa
- ranskalaiset
Chili-juusto-kuorrutettua kanaa 8,40 € vl g
-persilja-kermaperunat

Uunissa haudutettua lohta 9,00 € vl g
-röstiperunat

MAANANTAI 11.06.2012
Sinihomejuusto- broilerisalaatti 7,90 € vl g ilman leipää
- vihersalaattia, sinihomejuustoa, broileria, paprikaa,
päärynää, ranchkastike ja paahdettua leipää
Savujuustoburger 8,00 € l
- savujuustoa
- ranskalaiset
Chili-juusto-kuorrutettua kanaa 8,40 € vl g
-persilja-kermaperunat

Uunissa haudutettua lohta 9,00 € vl g
-röstiperunat

TIISTAI 12.06.2012
Juustosalaatti 7,90 € g ilman leipää
- vihersalaattia, cheddaria, aurajuustoa, mozzarellaa,
marinoitua sipulia,päärynää, yrttiöljyä ja paahdettua leipää
Pekoni burger 8,00 € l
- rapeaa pekonia
- ranskalaiset
Paholaisen kanaleipä 8,40 € l
- kanaa, aurajuustoa, ananasta ja paholaisenhilloa
- ranskalaiset
Bearnaisepossua 9,00 € vl g
- bearnaisekastiketta
- ranskalaiset

KESKIVIIKKO 13.06.2012
Chicken wings salaatti 7,90 € l g
- vihersalaattia, kanansiipiä, hunajamelonia ja
medium- wingskastiketta
Spicyburger 8,00 € l
- tulista chilikastiketta ja jalapenoja
- ranskalaiset
Pariloitua broilerinrintaa 8,40 € vl g
- yrtti- tuorejuustoa
- kermamuhennettua perunaa
Pariloitua possua 9,00 € vl g
-kermainen valkosipuli-persiljakastike
-lohkoperunat

TORSTAI 14.06.2012
Pähkinäinen kanasalaatti 7,90 € l g
- vihersalaattia, kanaa, suolapähkinöitä, parmesania,
ananasta, paprikaa ja yrttiöljyä
Emmentaljuusto burger 8,00 € l
- ranskalaiset

Kanalasagne 8,40 € vl
-vihersalaattia

Härkäwokki 9,00 € l g
- mausteinen chilikastike
- paistettuja kasviksia ja riisiä

PERJANTAI 15.06.2012
Kana-avocadosalaatti 7,90 € vl g ilman leipää
-vihersalaattia,kanaa,persikkaa,avocadoa,kananmunaa,ranch-
kastiketta ja paahdettua leipää
Burger 8,00 € vl
- pippurikastiketta
- ranskalaiset
Pariloitua kananrintaa 8,40 € vl g
- kermaista tomaatti- yrttikastiketta
- ranskalaiset
Floridanleike 9,00 € l
- paneroitu porsaanleike ja hedelmäkastiketta
- lohkoperunat

#26 ·
"Uunissa haudutettua lohta 9,00 € vl g"

I'm thinking you read it backward - Lotta Howdy-tutti USA. That would be a European version of Rooty Tooti Fresh and Fruity. :laughing:

#27 ·
The car is packed and Europe awaits

Hello to All,

Most of you have been following my adventures for more than two years.

Without your help and encouragement, my trips would not have been possible.

The trip to Europe is a major undertaking and in order to create a documentary film , I am going to need help.

Please click on this link for details on my film project.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1701065826/the-corvette-is-packed-and-europe-awaits

Feel free to pass link on to friends who may also want to help

Jack aka Corvette Vagabond / jackfit :flag:

#28 ·
European version of a Vagabund......

I thought you may like to see a video that some friends on the German Corvette forum posted.....about a Vagabond, I hope I don't have to carry my stuff in a bag with a stick

I wonder what year the car is ?

Jack

see more about the trip

www.CorvetteVagabond.com

#29 ·
Thanks , Paul Harrington, NCRS and New England Corvette Club members

I would like to thank Paul Harrington and the many corvette friends and members of the New England Corvette Club for send off party for the European trip.

Paul had set up a little party on the first day of my 48 state trip....to my surprise , more than 20 corvettes and their owners greeted my at Paul's home on Cape Cod....

This year Paul invited me down to do a pre trip tune up and inspections of my car before taking it to Europe.....I got there on Friday and we changed the plugs, oil, filter and check all fluids....Paul has a great garage and a few very nice cars.....and a lift...

Unfortunately.....as I got off the highway and slowed down a bit...I began to hear a bad sound from the rear and drive train....

We spent the day trying to track it down....we did find that my trailing arm shims had popped out on my right side.....we found some extras and replaced the missing ones....but the clanking and clinking continued...

I drove the car home and had no problem at high speeds, no noise or clanking....but at low speeds clinking came back....I will try to get the car to my mechanic to find the problem......hate to have a wheel fall off or some other drive train part break on the road

We did a mock judging of my car NCRS style....no I am not going to tell you how many points I had deducted.....But my engine now has decals.....I remember the original ones from 42 years ago......long gone, but now......just like new.......it says my engine has 350 HP...so it must be true..

Here are a few pictures and and link to all of them on Photobucket....about 15 to 20 members showed up with some very fast late models....

http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/jackfit87/Cape Cod European Send off party/

Capevettes Garage

Paul helping with oil filter

Loose shims trailing arm

Looking for source of clanking and clinking

Inside garage

Out side of garage

Paul and the decal ceremony

Leaving Paul's home after a great day of sun, cars, and great people

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.