Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Impressions of the C7... in a video game.

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Roadkillz 
#1 ·
Disclaimer: While Gran Turismo 5 is an excellent driving simulator is not by far the best. It foregoes many a thing that most professional simulators use in order to make the game more accessible to the masses. That being said it's not too far off from how the real thing performs.

Nürburgring time: 7:22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3i-V8rr0SE&feature=youtu.be

Top Gear Test track: 1:19
I was surprised by how astonishingly close this car came to C6 ZR1's time. This may be the games mechanics or it may be that the car is that good. It feels way more planted than the C6 Z06 and more pliant to go in the direction you tell it to. It jumps out and bites you but rather let's you slide the ass out when you want it to.

A few things I find odd. The red car unveiled at the Detroit autoshow is different than the car in-game. The Detroit vette has body color mirrors and spoiler while the game version has dark-grey doors and mirrors. Another thing is that though the car has 7 gears, it reaches it's maximum speed in 5th. Either both 6th and 7th gear meant to be tall as ultra-fuel sipping gears or the gear ratios have not been finalized.

0-60 3.93 seconds.
1/4 mile 12.64

See less See more
#2 ·
Pretty cool. My guess is that the real thing isn't going to be able to put up those kind of numbers around the 'ring (although, the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times seem like they might be pretty accurate). If it can get anywhere close to that lap time, that would be impressive... but I think that's a really optimistic number for an unmodified base C7.

#4 ·
I suspect the c7 will deliver power better than the C6 Z06 can. If you look at track times for the Zl1 you can see my point. That car is heavier but does a better job managing power thanks to newer tech than the C6.
The c7 should be even better than the Zl1 at managing power. I suspect road course times as good as the C6 Z06.

#3 ·
I played around with the c6 around laguna.

What you have to do is this.

Run a z06 around laguna on sport soft then run the c7 around on sport soft. I just chose laguna since the designers put a ton of effort in that track and its not massive, meaning its accurately done. The ring is too big to be correct to real life.

I had a similar driving impression as you had. More nimble and happy to change directions. Decent stopping power, I thought a little twitchy sometimes but in a different way than the Z06.

go do a z06 run on the ring and see what you get. On race tires I'm in somewhere near 6:50.

#5 ·
At the ring I got the Z06 around at 7:22.7 and compared to the Stingray at 7:22.8... very interesting.

At Laguna Seca the Stingray did 1:35.4 compared to 1:34.3 by the Z06. Still it's pretty astonishing how close these two are. real-life numbers will be quite different but still quite interesting, especially if the two are closer than one would suspect.

#7 ·
It is just so hard to believe the performance of this vehicle, I think its funny because now that we have seen the cars I have even more questions.

Watching the interviews they took weight out of every part on the C7 compared to the C6. They took 9 pounds out of the control arms alone while making them stiffer. They stated that they removed a significant amount of mass from the suspension cradles. The chassis is not a carry over from the C6 its actually all new and the frame rails are no longer hydro formed. The end result is a chassis that is 99 pounds lighter then the base steel frame rail C6 chassis while being 60% stiffer. The interviews were very informative and I would suggest to anyone to watch them (the car and driver ones I believe are the good long ones).

Based on that interview it would make sense as to why the car should respond to the drivers inputs much faster then the C6. Also an interesting fact, on the base C7 they tuned the rear stabilizer bars out. In other words the rear leaf spring was all of the sway bar that they needed on the base model.

Also from the interview the Z51 C7 is a much better track car then the Grand Sport Corvette was. The base C7 has less front end lift then the ZR1 Corvette, should be an amazing car on a track. Consider that the Grand Sport Corvette ran VIR in 2:58.80, also with the Z51 C7 being even faster then it one can only think of how much faster. I predict that the Z51 C7 will run VIR in 2:55.-- give or take a second with GM engineers driving it.

I really like the race car tach on the C7.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.