Ceramic Coating to your Car - Page 2 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > General Corvette Topics > Corvette Detailing and Car Care
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

Corvette Detailing and Car Care
Corvette detailing | waxes | polishes | paint issues | polishing/buffing

Sponsored by: Adam's Premium Car Care Products
Adam's Premium Car Care Products

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 03-19-2017, 02:12 AM   #16
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Since I know that you are very handy with a camera, this should be very easy for you to do. This is how I inspect paint to see what it REALLY looks like, especially after I fix it:

Ahh! THAT Flash Test! Yes, I have done that (as well as use a Sun-Gun) when I am correcting. I am more concerned with where your hair went! I need to keep up!
Choreo is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 02:22 AM   #17
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

I changed my look to go with my "Junkmorpheus" character...

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 03-19-2017, 02:25 AM   #18
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

So let's see that flash test result!

Old 03-19-2017, 02:29 AM   #19
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

Quote:
So let's see that flash test result!
My annual major detail is coming up - will have to take some BA shots!

Checking out your Griot's BOSS video right now on your YouTube channel. I love my new BOSS System I have been using the past several months. I am getting even better results than I was with my FLEX (which replaced my Porter Cable several years ago).
Old 03-19-2017, 03:28 AM   #20
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

The BOSS "creams" are good stuff. I will probably be using them on "Project Liberty." By the way, your wash regime is why I asked about the flash test. You are ripe for creating swirls with that regime.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:10 AM   #21
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

Quote:
The BOSS "creams" are good stuff. I will probably be using them on "Project Liberty." By the way, your wash regime is why I asked about the flash test. You are ripe for creating swirls with that regime.
Of course (as you know) I usually have a number of Zaino coats that I apply after a machine detail. I have been using Chadwick's Triple Play on most days as a wipe down detailer in combination with Griot's PFM Ultra-Thick Microfiber towels. Even on my "black" car in the sunlight, I am not seeing much in the way of swirls (even after a year on the street). There are a couple areas that probably would not pass the "Flash Test" right now, but you would have to really look close in the right light to notice anything. Actually, my garage lights are the most swirl revealing environment I have experienced. There may be some minor wipe down swirls underneath, but the Chadwick's seems to be masking any that are there for now.

Usually my biggest enemy is the West Texas blowing sand. Usually 95% of any micro-scratches I have to remove with a polisher once or twice a year is mostly due to windstorms. Fortunately I have managed to dodge the tumbleweeds - hit one of those (or if one side-swipes you) and it is a re-paint!
Old 03-19-2017, 04:32 AM   #22
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

You're using a lot of different products when you could save some money by narrowing what you are doing. Enough coats of Zaino will mask most minor swirls with no problem. The Chadwicks's is completely unnecessary and Z6 is a MUCH better alternative. But if you are going to POLISH your paint, why use Zaino at all? Zaino Z2 and Z5 are GLAZES. They mask damage. Z-AIO is a combo-polish that REMOVES paint damage but I bet you're not using that because it's usually one or the other. A glaze or a polish. So if you are going to be using a machine to polish with, you want to use polishes like the BOSS creams or any other compound and polish. If you want to use a glaze (the Zaino brands being made for hand polishing), you should just use a glaze. It makes sense to do it that way.

And it's cheaper too.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #23
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

Quote:
You're using a lot of different products when you could save some money by narrowing what you are doing. Enough coats of Zaino will mask most minor swirls with no problem. The Chadwicks's is completely unnecessary and Z6 is a MUCH better alternative. But if you are going to POLISH your paint, why use Zaino at all? Zaino Z2 and Z5 are GLAZES. They mask damage. Z-AIO is a combo-polish that REMOVES paint damage but I bet you're not using that because it's usually one or the other. A glaze or a polish. So if you are going to be using a machine to polish with, you want to use polishes like the BOSS creams or any other compound and polish. If you want to use a glaze (the Zaino brands being made for hand polishing), you should just use a glaze. It makes sense to do it that way.

And it's cheaper too.
You are right about cost, but I am always "experimenting" with options since black is not a color, but a career!

Zaino Z2 nd Z5 are categorized as sealants (not glazes) - even though Zaino terms them as "polishes"? I use both of them. Z5 is supposed to have some scratch "filling" effect over Z2, but it is negligible. Whatever your paint looks like after correcting, is what Zaino is going to emphasize.

I usually use Z6 and Z8 for daily maintenance for weeks or months after a major detail, but after a while the desert winds out here start to sandblast the surface (not swirls, but long streaks of super fine scratches. Once that happens, Zaino Z2, Z5, Z6 and Z8 will not mask that effect. That is when I switch over to Chadwick's for daily maintenance as it does mask that damage until the next paint correction session. Since I only have so much factory clear coat, I want to extend the period between polishing sessions as much as possible!
Old 03-19-2017, 07:49 PM   #24
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choreo View Post
.... Since I only have so much factory clear coat, I want to extend the period between polishing sessions as much as possible!
Exactly, which is why wiping on it is such a bad idea. If you don't touch the paint, you can't damage the paint. The only time I touch my paint is when I am going to drive the car. I will spend a solid 3 washing and going through the interior in order to make it presentable. Other than that, I will allow it to collect all of the dust it wants. The dust doesn't hurt a thing with the protection I have on the car. It doesn't look pretty all dusty but again, the less you touch the paint, the less chance there is for you to damage the paint.

Although Sal calls his products "polishes", they definitely are not sealants. They have no protecting properties like a sealant and are definitely more like glazes. Sal has sent me a lot of stuff over the years and I have always told people who have VERY thin paint (like the original paint on a 1959 Cadillac), that Zaino is a perfect product for and to use it by hand. It is a perfect product for them.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:14 PM   #25
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

Quote:
Although Sal calls his products "polishes", they definitely are not sealants. They have no protecting properties like a sealant and are definitely more like glazes.
Are you sure? Virtually everything I have read about Zaino for years classifies them as "sealants" with protective properties that last for months? I have never heard of any Zaino products referred to as "glazes"? Zaino Z2, Z5, CS, Z-FX, Z6 and Z8 are all I used on my C5 for over 14 years and it looks better than the day I picked it up? I have spent hundreds of dollars on Zaino products over the years (but I overuse them for sure).

Several sites online refer to them as sealants (i.e. http://cpcardetailing.com/difference...es-and-glazes/).

Even the Zaino website touts their long term "protective" features?
Old 03-19-2017, 09:59 PM   #26
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

I'm strictly talking about Z2 and Z5. Z6 and Z8 are something completely different. Some form of detail sprays. If the products that I am talking about were sealants, then they would require "cure" times between applications. Most sealants require 24-36 hours to cure BEFORE you can layer them. Zaino does not require such curing times. Also, sealants MUST be applied to bare paint or clear coat. There can be NOTHING between the sealant and the surface that it is going on or i will NOT bond (cure).

That's why I consider them more of a glaze. Glazes don't have these restrictions and Z2 and Z5 fill minor paint damage just like a glaze. That's why the more coats you apply, the better your paint will look. Sal's terminology that he uses to describe his products is somewhat different than what the industry uses.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:08 PM   #27
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

Quote:
I'm strictly talking about Z2 and Z5. Z6 and Z8 are something completely different. Some form of detail sprays. If the products that I am talking about were sealants, then they would require "cure" times between applications. Most sealants require 24-36 hours to cure BEFORE you can layer them. Zaino does not require such curing times. Also, sealants MUST be applied to bare paint or clear coat. There can be NOTHING between the sealant and the surface that it is going on or i will NOT bond (cure).

That's why I consider them more of a glaze. Glazes don't have these restrictions and Z2 and Z5 fill minor paint damage just like a glaze. That's why the more coats you apply, the better your paint will look. Sal's terminology that he uses to describe his products is somewhat different than what the industry uses.
Zaino Z2 and Z5 do require a 24 hour curing time (unless mixed with Z-FX curing accelerator) before adding a layer - and even then only 3 coats per 24 hour period? Z6 & Z8 are just spray detailers for maintenance primarily. [according to the Zaino instructions I have used for years]
Old 03-20-2017, 07:05 AM   #28
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

That must have changed from back in the day when I used them. That would make them more like sealants then. I haven't used them since around 2007 so things could have definitely changed since then. I do still use Z6. I love that stuff and the Borderfree Blond towels. I still use that to this day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.