Winter Differential Rebuild Project - Page 12 - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette Forums > C3 Corvette
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

C3 Corvette
C3 Corvette General | Technical | Performance | Aftermarket | Discussions

Other sections:
Corvettes Classifieds
Corvette Detailing & Car Care
Corvette Audio/Video/Radar
General Automotive/Shop/Tools
Corvette Performance Driving/Racing

( Sponsored by: Zip Corvette Parts )

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 03-18-2017, 05:56 PM   #166
gtr1999
Supporting Vendor

Member #44662

My Corvette(s)
69 & 72

Things I discovered / noticed / learned

The Lone-Star yokes are not anywhere near as good as one would hope. Having to file each spline to get it to fit into the side gear isn't something you would / should have to do.
As far as I can tell, if it wasn't for the "tuned" posi pulling the side gear in farther than stock the LS yokes would have too much gap to the cross pin.
It's call Quality Control or lack of it. Every manufacturer I worked for or serviced when I was a Bridgeport service tech would never let a part out the door unless it was checked and correct

The bearing kit seems like a good idea BUT is probably not the route to go since it doesn't have the full-complement yoke bearings and contains ring-gear bolts you may not use.

Yeah you learned about these. The kits vary from good to poor. The good ones use Timkens, quality seals, good marking compound,gaskets, and correct shims. The majority of the kits are from the same place and just repacked. I use kits that are made to my order and I add in more parts to get the correct ones. I do not by vendor kits.

Polishing the carrier is a PIA and takes hours to do a decent job. Ah yes, you did a good job. Common rebuilders never do this. The ones that claim to polish a posi could do a good job selling snake oil. Just look at the pictures of the work, not what I would claim as polished buy I guess good enough to fool their customers.

Tuning the posi is easy enough once you get the hang of installing the side gears and holding everything in place until you get it transferred to the yoke-in-a-vise and slide one of the spiders in to hold them in placeThe important part of tuning is to seat the clutches and have them balanced between the LH and RH sides. I wonder how well some of the claims of a tuned posi are when I see a spring pack in it.

The old yoke in the vise and two needle bearings is perfect for holding the carrier to work in the posi clutches

Loading the pinion to get a good pattern to check is a PIA without something to put real drag on it. maybe with two people it'd be betterAgain this is something others may not do but it's important and simple methods can be used to create drag. One "caveman" once mentioned I use computer aids to create my patterns, which I course I never had- yet that person has yet to post any the patterns they came up with

The solid sleeve is way less hassle that the crush sleeve... if you have the means of bringing it into spec. Don't know about the ones that use shims I think for the average DIY and shop the stock crush sleeves are better for them to setup. The solids are great but you have to use a surface grinder to really dial them in and not many shops have them. The shims don't help much at all, still have to machine the spacer

Ordering two ground shims from Toms' would be a good idea, I think something like a .0175 and a .0225 could be used to get someone close without access to a grinder Are you referring to pinion shims? If so this is another part that is wrong in many diff kits now. Also a pet peeve for years are shims for 63-66 housings. None of the kits have the correct side shims for these housing yet not one vendor will tell their customer and you can not use the later 67-79 side shims in them

One package of marking grease is lots

Cleanliness is important (lots of brake cleaner and varsol)

And lastly, having access to someone like Gary to run stuff by and verify patterns is a tremendous help.Glad to help, I have coached several guys in Canada now, along with guys in Australia, South Africa,New Zealand, England, France, Italy, Sweden, Norway, Ireland, and every state in the USA. I really enjoy working with corvette guys all over the world. You did a nice job, almost as good as mine-LOL but certainly better then anyone you would be able to buy out there.
M[/QUOTE]
gtr1999 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Gary
69 vert 350 M20-373's
72 coupe 350,TH400,336's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2017, 06:04 PM   #167
Mooser
DC Crew

Member #117324

My Corvette(s)
1972 BB Coupe

Thanks again Gary
Mooser is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2017, 06:10 PM   #168
AGVI
DC Crew

Member #2794

My Corvette(s)
1980 406ci 550HP 510TQ > MOTORHEAD, TH350 3000 Stall > Jakesperformance.com,3.70 Gears > Mike Dyer

Gary Rules!!!

Mooser, you did an excellent job on your build!!!!

Les
AGVI is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 03:33 PM   #169
Mooser
DC Crew

Member #117324

My Corvette(s)
1972 BB Coupe

Thanks Les
Now just need to find the time to get it back under the car

M
Mooser is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2017, 11:39 AM   #170
Sly Vette
DC Crew

Member #118014

My Corvette(s)
1969 Convertible

Great winter project and you have the satisfaction of knowing you did it and did it well!!!
Good Work.... Enjoy!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sly Vette is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 01:59 PM   #171
gtr1999
Supporting Vendor

Member #44662

My Corvette(s)
69 & 72

You did a great job and you know what was done, right or wrong it's your build.

I think this old thread is a prefect example of why guys should look past fancy catalogs and web sites.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=148397
gtr1999 is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Gary
69 vert 350 M20-373's
72 coupe 350,TH400,336's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.