Ceramic Coating to your Car - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > General Corvette Topics > Corvette Detailing and Car Care
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

Corvette Detailing and Car Care
Corvette detailing | waxes | polishes | paint issues | polishing/buffing

Sponsored by: Adam's Premium Car Care Products
Adam's Premium Car Care Products

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 12-26-2016, 09:48 AM   #1
FINWOLF
DC Crew

Member #169897

My Corvette(s)
1965 custom

Ceramic Coating to your Car

Has anybody done this to there car and if you did how did you like it and cost.
FINWOLF is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #2
raidmagic
DC Crew

Member #1067

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

With the heat involved to ceramic coat something I can't see this as a viable idea that someone could/would do.
raidmagic is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sampson 9/22/97-1/1/05
Old 12-26-2016, 05:01 PM   #3
FINWOLF
DC Crew

Member #169897

My Corvette(s)
1965 custom

it is like a wax its called Ceramic Pro

Old 12-27-2016, 04:57 AM   #4
The Torch
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #799

My Corvette(s)
2004 Black/Mod Red-Z06

It isn't actually ceramic it is just a wax with Silicone oxide in it. I've never heard of it or what really would make it any better/worse than any other wax. It could really revolutionize the detailing world or it could just be another snake oil type product. If you get it done let us know how it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceramic Pro
Prices start at $300.00
http://ceramicpro.com/
The Torch is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
RACING...Because with baseball, football, basketball, tennis, and golf, you only need one ball

I used to think that I had learned patience as I got older. Then I realized that I just didn't give a shit

Because I am a loyal AMERICAN and unlike some members that say to the contrary, Trump IS my president
Old 01-26-2017, 04:35 PM   #5
jdwk
DC Crew

Member #2235

My Corvette(s)
2005 Coupe LMB Z51 MN6

There are several competitors out there now.

Opticoat I think has been around the longest.

I've never thought them to be more than an overpriced wax, although now we call them sealants to distinguish between natural and synthetic.

I've been doing a bit more research and there appear to be a lot of people that swear by them.

They all are pretty much the same, with a trade off between durability and shine. In other words, the shinier ones don't last as long. They all guarantee to last at least two years, with some being 5, and some being lifetime, which like any other lifetime guarantee is total nonsense. The warranties usually require a professional installer though, and some require annual checkups.

It sounds a lot like what dealerships used to try to push when you buy a new car, which is why I've never personally tried them, and just wax with NXT every 6 months.

But after a year of washes, the car is pretty swirled up, and is covered in water stains. I am very careful not to let water dry on it, but I've concluded the rain here will leave very difficult to remove stains if left to dry on the car. And that is hard to avoid.

So it takes several hours to polish it up again, which I've been doing once a year, using compound on the deeper stuff. But knowing that I am eating up clear coat every time has me thinking I should find a better way.

Some of this stuff is reasonably priced, so I may give it a shot.
jdwk is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2005 Coupe LMB Z51 MN6 (for sale)
2013 Audi S4 6MT
2013 Lamborghini LP560-4 6MT
Old 01-27-2017, 06:25 AM   #6
FINWOLF
DC Crew

Member #169897

My Corvette(s)
1965 custom

you found out what I found out. It is nuts anywhere from 800 to 2000 now that is with rims and glass but still sounds like a lot. my paint is over 30 years old and still looks great. so I think I will just keep waxing it. But if I was flush with cash I think I would give it a try. Thank you for you response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwk View Post
There are several competitors out there now.

Opticoat I think has been around the longest.

I've never thought them to be more than an overpriced wax, although now we call them sealants to distinguish between natural and synthetic.

I've been doing a bit more research and there appear to be a lot of people that swear by them.

They all are pretty much the same, with a trade off between durability and shine. In other words, the shinier ones don't last as long. They all guarantee to last at least two years, with some being 5, and some being lifetime, which like any other lifetime guarantee is total nonsense. The warranties usually require a professional installer though, and some require annual checkups.

It sounds a lot like what dealerships used to try to push when you buy a new car, which is why I've never personally tried them, and just wax with NXT every 6 months.

But after a year of washes, the car is pretty swirled up, and is covered in water stains. I am very careful not to let water dry on it, but I've concluded the rain here will leave very difficult to remove stains if left to dry on the car. And that is hard to avoid.

So it takes several hours to polish it up again, which I've been doing once a year, using compound on the deeper stuff. But knowing that I am eating up clear coat every time has me thinking I should find a better way.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:59 PM   #7
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)
2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe

There are quite a few flaws in the way you are thinking and the information you have.

Quote:
... I've never thought them to be more than an overpriced wax, although now we call them sealants to distinguish between natural and synthetic.
No, they are NOT an overpriced wax. They are "coatings" just as the name suggest. A wax and a sealant can be removed in ONE step if necessary. A coating is like another "coat" of clear coat, and is applied where it can actually be seen. It is NOT as durable as clear coat but is way more protective and a LOT longer lasting than a wax or sealant. It is a protective barrier for your paint that will stand up to minor damage.

Quote:
Yes there is but there is a lot of MISinformation out there also. This thread is an example.

Quote:
They all are pretty much the same, with a trade off between durability and shine.
Wrong. The trade off is in how it's applied, WHO applies it and the manufacture of the coating. SHINE has NOTHING to do with it. The shine comes from the PREP. All of the shine that you are going to get should be achieved BEFORE a drop of coating touches the paint.

Quote:
In other words, the shinier ones don't last as long.
I don't know where you got that from but that is way off.

Quote:
They all guarantee to last at least two years, with some being 5, and some being lifetime, which like any other lifetime guarantee is total nonsense.
They are NOT all guaranteed to last at least 2 years. How long they last has various inputs that have to be considered. A coating on a car that is washed daily in a drive through car wash that uses hot water and harsh chemicals is NOT going to last as long as a coating on a garage queen. On the other hand, a coating on a garage queen could last quite a few years, depending on the coating and who applies it.

Quote:
The warranties usually require a professional installer though, and some require annual checkups.
That part is true.

Quote:
Yes, it does sound a lot like that until you actually see it applied. That crap that dealerships offer is nothing more than Turtle Wax from Auto Zone.

Quote:
But after a year of washes, the car is pretty swirled up, and is covered in water stains.
I don't care WHAT you protect your car with, washing the car WRONG will do that regardless. That's why I put a sticky at the top of this forum on how to properly wash your car. My Corvette doesn't have a drop of swirls in the paint after I removed them all and it's been that way for YEARS now.

Quote:
I am very careful not to let water dry on it, but I've concluded the rain here will leave very difficult to remove stains if left to dry on the car. And that is hard to avoid.
  • Not if you have a garage, AND...
  • Not if your paint is properly protected.

I prove that in the following video. Look at the amount of dust on my car and how brutal the water spots look. Then watch how easily I remove them with no effort whatsoever. That's what a good sealant topped with a good wax can do for you.

Quote:
And that better way would be to STOP washing your car the wrong way and to STOP touching your car's paint the wrong way. If you don't create paint damage, you won't have to remove paint damage. Compounding the paint on your car should be a once in the life of your car's paint kind of thing. That I explain in the other sticky that I put at the top of this forum. It's a mindset and a practice that I share and follow in those videos.

Quote:
I haven't to date and I have had a few manufacturers send me this stuff for free. Here's some more information on coatings.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 01-28-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."
Old 01-28-2017, 08:33 PM   #8
FINWOLF
DC Crew

Member #169897

My Corvette(s)
1965 custom

I think I will stick with waxing. Even though I drive it spring summer and fall it does stay indoors when not being used. paint is over 30 years old still looks good. here is a video of it. not a great one but shows it ok. The funny thing is I have seen your videos in the past and look your on this site what a small world.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:49 PM   #9
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

The last time I counted, I was on 50 different forums and detailing sites so you are bound to run into me somewhere on the web if you are talking detailing.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:38 PM   #10
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

Been checking out some of these "ceramic" coatings lately.

I can see why the professionals charge so much since it is 90% prep. Some of the "touted" high-end coatings claim 9h hardness and I see some of the pros adding as many as 10 coats! I personally would never pay a professional to do my car as I have everything that they have - except access to the higher end coatings for some reason (and probably as much experience as "some").

I just ordered some of what "is" available to the public and am going to try it on one panel first to see the results. Hard to imagine how it could "look" any better than what I have now, but if it adds some durability to the clear coat, might be worth a shot? Not sure why they are not selling the claimed higher end formulas to the public?

In my case I wipe my car down every day with some type of gloss enhancer or detailer, so the water-shedding properties are not a big deal to me (I only wash my car with water maybe once or twice a year) - mainly just interested in beefing up the clear coat.

J-Man.. I see where Adams also has entered into the frey with a ceramic offering of their own.
Choreo is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2017, 10:59 PM   #11
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

Junkman... just watched your Waxes, Sealants and Coatings video you posted above. Great video - had not seen you in action recently! Addresses some of the initial questions I had when doing my research.

It would be nice to get an in-depth comparison of a range of ceramic coatings from a professional detailer that has used several.

I can't imagine that the high-end coatings are that much trickier to apply - just not available to people like me (yet).

I am not looking for more "gloss" than I have now, just interested in adding a more resilient barrier between my factory clear coat and any sealants I might apply as finishing touch (for bling). Unlike waxes and sealants that can be removed with a liquid, it is my understanding that any ceramic coating must be removed by "polishing" wth an RO?
Old 03-19-2017, 01:42 AM   #12
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choreo View Post
Junkman... just watched your Waxes, Sealants and Coatings video you posted above. Great video - had not seen you in action recently! Addresses some of the initial questions I had when doing my research.
Man, I have a ton of videos on The Rag Company's You Tube channel, as well as my own. I have a big project coming up on my channel with a car that I recently purchased. If you were sub'ed, you would be getting all of the notices from the many videos that I have uploaded.

Quote:
It would be nice to get an in-depth comparison of a range of ceramic coatings from a professional detailer that has used several.

I can't imagine that the high-end coatings are that much trickier to apply - just not available to people like me (yet).
Check with guys like AMMO on that. He would be one who goes into that kind of detail. I'm not a coating guy. I just take proper care of my paint. Also, coatings only add gloss if your paint needs polishing in the first place. Other than that, you won't see a drop of difference and is why I am so big on polishing and proper paint care than I am about everything that you do AFTER polishing.

Quote:
I am not looking for more "gloss" than I have now, just interested in adding a more resilient barrier between my factory clear coat and any sealants I might apply as finishing touch (for bling). Unlike waxes and sealants that can be removed with a liquid, it is my understanding that any ceramic coating must be removed by "polishing" wth an RO?
A GOOD ceramic coating can be removed by polishing. However, the GOOD ceramic coatings have various restrictions that must be followed or you will ruin them. Some cannot be waxed or sealed. You have to know the in's and out's of the good products, which is why the manufacturers will never sell them to the general public. The last thing they want are their sales impacted by people bad mouthing their product because they didn't know how to apply them or care for them and then get on the internet spouting bad and false claims. I don't blame them. There's a ton of that going on all the time.

By the way, the coating that Adam's sales is not only marked WAY up, you can get that stuff anywhere under various names. Also, have you given your paint the flash test?
Old 03-19-2017, 01:49 AM   #13
Choreo
DC Crew

Member #56229

My Corvette(s)
2001 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Man, I have a ton of videos on The Rag Company's You Tube channel, as well as my own. I have a big project coming up on my channel with a car that I recently purchased. If you were sub'ed, you would be getting all of the notices from the many videos that I have uploaded.

Also, have you given your paint the flash test?
Just subscribed to your channel!

Flash Test?
Old 03-19-2017, 02:08 AM   #14
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

Since I know that you are very handy with a camera, this should be very easy for you to do. This is how I inspect paint to see what it REALLY looks like, especially after I fix it:

Old 03-19-2017, 02:11 AM   #15
Junkman2008
DC Pit Crew Boss

Member #71977

My Corvette(s)

The flash from your camera will BOUNCE off EVERT scratch in that area of your paint. This "light scatter" causes your paint to look dull and have no depth. Eliminating light scatter is what makes your paint look deep as glass, especially on a sunny day.:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.