Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Walk Away???

3K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  raidmagic 
#1 ·
yesterday i went and looked at a 98 z28. it had a seized LS1, a six speed and everything else. He was asking 2k. I offered him 1200. I want to look through the motor, use the computer, brakes, trans, and all of the electrical and swap in my car. Around 2pm yesterday he accepted and I told him I would be by Monday (yesterday was Saturday) to pick it up and give him cash. Today I called to see what a good time would be for me to come by and pick it up. He told me that he sold it today for 1800 to someone else.

I've pulled out the court thing and tried to talk to him about why its illegal to sell something that you've already sold verbally to someone else. He said, sorry for the disappointment.

Is this something I should walk away from or go after him legally? WWDCMD? (what would digital corvette members do)

#2 ·
Man, that's rude. Personally I'd walk away. Even if you were to win a lawsuit (which honestly is not likely unless he took your money), you'll probably find collecting a thin dime is more work than it's worth. People who don't keep their word don't pay judgments either. They're the sort to misrepresent what they're selling too- you may have lucked out.

#5 ·
What would you do anyway? Anyone witness this "verbal" agreement? If not then what? He said she said?
I know it's shady on the sellers part but to be perfectly honest-when you offer someone 1/2 their asking price these things will happen more often than not unless you go with cash in hand and do the deal on the spot.

#7 ·
Pretty much what everyone said. Unless you could get him to admit to telling you he would hold it, I don't see how you could get anything out of him.

I assume he didn't do this, but whenever I'm selling something and have a situation where someone says they will be by in a few days to pay, I always say, "it's yours if it's still here." I do this because cash is king and no shows are a dime a dozen.

That may make me a dick, but it sucks to tell someone with cash in hand that something is sold and then be stuck with it when the first guy doesn't show.

#14 ·
Hey! you used my answer!:agree::agree:

When you go look at something and for the lack of a better word "Low-Balled" the seller and didn't even provide a good faith deposit - you just rolled the dice and in this case, lost. IMHO, I wouldn't put it past the right person to say "I'll teach this guy!" and he says he sold it - when perhaps he really didn't.

#12 ·
Have you looked into police auctions in your surrounding area as you might be able to get one REAL cheap. There is also two Camaro salvage yards in S.E. Arkansas...Searcy and another city near by(can't remember the city name) a relative told me about them as he does ls swaps in various vehicles.

#18 ·
Verbal contracts, when legal, usually start after the money (consideration) has changed hands. Without that, there is no contract.

If he had taken your money and then backed out, you might have a leg to stand on, but nobody sues over $1,200.

Reactions: RedDragon 79
#21 ·
No, verbal is good as long as I relied on it. Which I did. I let another option go because he accepted. It could be a good argument. I have all the conversations recorded. I don't think it's worth a court issue. I was just super angry that because I thought it was happening I let another setup go.

If he would have accepted when I was out to his place I would have paid him. I just really wanted to know what I should do as a human, I am sure I could win in court on a specific performance theory, but then it becomes more of a hassle when the car is in a separate owner's possession, but I am not really going to win much else since i didn't lose anything. The guy doesn't have money to pay any award granted anyway.

I was just pissed. Still am. Actually, now I am just bummed.

Stepping back and thinking about it, I am grateful because now I know what type of project I want to do with my 75 and I can start tearing it apart until I find a different donor car. Which, some of you have pointed me to different avenues that I didn't know were there. I appreciate the feedback.

#23 ·
Sorry I sell car parts and sometimes cars or parts cars and nothing is sold until there is cash in my hand. I can't tell you how many times someone has said "I'm coming to get it" or "let me run to the bank" and I never see them again. Cash talks bullshit walks. End of story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.