Can't find the right second car - Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums

Go Back   Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums > Other Discussions/Topics > Other Cars, Trucks & Cool Rides
Register Forums Garage Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Notices

Other Cars, Trucks & Cool Rides Transportation other than Corvettes...

Shops/Tuners
Custom Image Corvettes
A&A Corvette
Corvette tuner

Interior
Corvette aftermarket products

Insurance

Parts & Products
Race Ramps
Edelbrock
ATI/Procharger
Corvetteguys.com
Melrose Motorsports
Parts Taxi
Airaid
Pfadt Racing
Madvette Motorsports
Hi-tech Custom Concepts
Corvette aftermarket products
Corvette Garage
Corvette Parts and Accessories
Corvette Car Care Products
Corvette HID

Tracks/Schools
Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving
Corvette driving school

Wheels/Tires
Cray Wheels

Services
BADWERKS.com

Old 01-08-2017, 04:12 PM   #1
Vistance
DC Crew

Member #169578

Can't find the right second car

I've had an '03 Nissan Maxima with a 6-speed manual for the longest time, I enjoy driving it but I've been eyeing up some homes (I am a single guy) and realize that neither it nor the Vette are going to be any good at hauling things to any prospective house I'd buy. I've traditionally been opposed to SUVs as wasteful and generally just not appealing, but after looking further I think that's going to be the most likely option. I hadn't ruled out a truck, but I have strict requirements on them that I cannot find in the sub-$15k budget I've set for myself (Mostly safety related). Meanwhile, SUVs can be found everywhere that might work (Need to have side curtain airbags more than anything).

A friend continues to suggest I buy a Navigator, Denali, QX56, etc. but they seem like the most asshole kind of thing a single guy could buy. How am I going to look showing up anywhere in a flashy blingy SUV that gets 12-13 MPG? I have nothing to tow and no family to haul, so that's a hell of a lot of steel I would be hauling around for just myself. I'm not crazy about the compact ones though like RAV4 and CR-V, I also never see guys driving those (well certainly not young guys).

Thought about an FX35 since it's more like a sports car and has aggressive lines, but the '03-'08 have a horrible dash problem. The '09+ look nice and have better transmission and interior, but I cannot find them in my price range (in my area anyway). Been leaning towards a 4WD V6 4Runner, I thought a bit about a GX470 since it's similar to a V8 4Runner but gets back to the bling factor. Cars have a lot of subconscious thoughts they make others think about you, regardless of if you care it will manifest in the kinds of people you hang out with. Far be it that I want anything to do with the "Eco" types who'd rather be in a hybrid or something, but big vehicles with laughable fuel economy seem insanely wasteful if you're not hauling a lot on a regular basis or towing something heavy. My friend insists that people all think those big SUVs are nice and more than anything admire the people who have them, but I'm not so sure. As someone who has decried those things as being largely unnecessary for most who have them, I feel like I'd just be a huge hypocrite. I did test drive a Denali and liked the smooth ride and the feel, but somehow even though I know it's basically like a fully enclosed pickup truck it feels more douchey to drive without passengers/cargo.

Thoughts? Other suggestions? I do like luxury, but would be nice to find something that doesn't scream "I'm a douche" if I'm driving it around solo like a Hummer or something.
Vistance is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #2
raidmagic
DC Crew

Member #1067

My Corvette(s)
Rare 1987 bright red

How about a mid sized truck like a Colorado?
raidmagic is online now   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Sampson 9/22/97-1/1/05
Old 01-08-2017, 07:02 PM   #3
KennyGS
DC Crew

Member #105698

My Corvette(s)
2010 Grand Sport

How about a BMW, Mercedes, or Audi wagon?
KennyGS is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #4
Vistance
DC Crew

Member #169578

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
How about a mid sized truck like a Colorado?
The smaller trucks usually aren't very appealing to me, they always feel small and car like. I do like the feel of the bigger trucks, just have a harder time finding one with decent features, mileage, and year. I had considered a Tacoma, but they're harder to find with side airbags compared to a 4Runner (which is the same platform just swapping the bed out for an enclosed bit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGS View Post
How about a BMW, Mercedes, or Audi wagon?
Hard to find to start with, within my budget I only found one BMW wagon that was AWD but the reliability on German cars is always questionable. I want whatever the vehicle is to be pretty maintenance free, or at least not to need it frequently the way I know German cars prefer it.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:32 AM   #5
vettekid00
DC Crew

Member #12065

My Corvette(s)
2000 torch red 6spd,1993 polo green-sold

Stop worrying about what everyone else thinks and buy what you want. Odds are most people already think you're a "douche" for driving a vette. Stay away from Mid size truks like frontiers and colorados, they are all junk. Tacomas are the way to go at that size, but pricing is going to be tough. I would personally go with a full size Chevy or GMC pickup. find a clean 2007.5 and up and you cant go wrong.
vettekid00 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
"Are you a God?"
Old 01-09-2017, 09:02 AM   #6
Vistance
DC Crew

Member #169578

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettekid00 View Post
Stop worrying about what everyone else thinks and buy what you want. Odds are most people already think you're a "douche" for driving a vette. Stay away from Mid size truks like frontiers and colorados, they are all junk. Tacomas are the way to go at that size, but pricing is going to be tough. I would personally go with a full size Chevy or GMC pickup. find a clean 2007.5 and up and you cant go wrong.
Oh I'm sure there are some that might, but like now I'm not driving the Vette anywhere. I just don't want something that drinks the gas. I'm pretty sure being a solo driver of a Navigator or Escalade would rank me much higher on the douche list for most people, at least a Vette is a two seater
Old 01-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #7
KennyGS
DC Crew

Member #105698

My Corvette(s)
2010 Grand Sport

How about one of the Jeep models. My wife had a Cherokee for many years that was pretty bullet proof for her. No one ever thought she was a douche for driving one. It was inexpensive and great for cargo, people, dogs, and handled well in poor conditions.
KennyGS is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 10:20 PM   #8
stu
DC Crew

Member #1348

My Corvette(s)
87 coupe

Don't know what your budget is, but I picked up a '13 Lexus RX 450h last year and love the thing.
stu is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
Emeryz28
DC Crew

Member #40040

My Corvette(s)

for daily driving I could not be happier than I am with either the Silverado or ATS. Love driving them both, so does my wife. We are always switching depending on our needs or kids activities etc.

I always had beater trucks, 89 Toyota PU, 93 GMC Sierra....when I was younger. Always daily drove a sport car, I am still beside myself on how much I love driving this 2015 crew cab, never thought I would like it that much!
Emeryz28 is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
2015 Silverado Z71 6.2
2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
2011 Camaro SS LS3 M6
1981 Corvette
Old 01-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #10
Vistance
DC Crew

Member #169578

I'd like an FX35, but I just cannot find them around here or they're too expensive. The RX350 is looking highly probable, I laugh at people saying they handle too mushy. I have a Vette, I don't need an SUV version of a Vette...

I am normally quite opposed to Ford products, but have to admit a little curiosity of the 2.0 Ecoboost Escape. With a Livernois it can hit 60 in almost 6 seconds flat. Hate to admit it, but I do like the interiors of the newer Fords and they seem to have come a long way from their former quality. I found one for a bit less than the 2010 RX350 I was looking at which had 102k miles for $16k. It's a 2014 Escape SE 4WD with 52k miles for $15k. I also found a good deal on a 2011 RAV4 V6 Limited AWD for $12,500. Has every option, even navigation. Pretty practical, but the luxury of the Lexus is enticing as is the turbo appeal of the Escape. I could also get an extended warranty backed by Ford on that since it's still got factory powertrain on it.

It's really hard to look at a vehicle and stop thinking so much about the performance of it. I've downgraded its importance since I need something that can haul, but if it happens to not be terribly slow - nothing wrong with that Any thoughts on those?
Old 01-14-2017, 04:01 PM   #11
normshark
DC Crew

Member #50520

My Corvette(s)
1972 Coupe

How about a Toyota Venza? Roomy, lots of toys, 4wd etc and reliable. I'd probably have one if I didn't have a truck.

Cheers.
normshark is offline   Reply w/quote Quick reply to this message
We will remember them.
Sgt. C.A. Seebach, 27th Canadian Infantry, NATO, 9th U.S. Infantry
L. Cpl. C.T Norman, 4th Canadian Infantry Brigade, Canadian Expeditionary Force.
Pte. W. Rope, 173rd Highlanders, Canadian Expeditionary Force
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (12 CHARACTERS MAXIMUM), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
City / State / Country?
Where you live
What kind of Corvette(s) do you own?
This field is not required.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.