Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

[CORVETTE DUNGEON!] Found them! First photos of Peter Max's new Corvette dungeon

167K views 240 replies 100 participants last post by  Night Stalker 
#1 ·
(If you are new to the story, start with this thread from 2005 ... then this thread about our CIA style recon mission to document them.)

FOUND THEM!

Feb 13, 2010

Thanks to a hot tip by a DigitalCorvettes.com member who happened to be in the right place at the right time, another DC member was able to obtain these exclusive photos of the new "Corvette dungeon" that appears to be the final resting place for Peter Max's 36 Corvettes. The 1953 Corvette is there and all the other Corvettes seem to be there as well.

The red '74 and red '75 Corvettes have significant rear damage with the '74 being the worst.

In the DigitalCorvettes.com members opinion, "this is another several year stop for these 36 Corvettes", and, "you wouldn't put them here if this was an active project, these cars are tucked away pretty good and it's obvious for the long haul. If you wanted them accessible, this isn't the place to put them."

(LARGER PHOTO)

(LARGER PHOTO)

(LARGER PHOTO)

(LARGER PHOTO)

(LARGER PHOTO)

(LARGER PHOTO)

(LARGER PHOTO)

See less See more
#82 ·
One of two reasons...

1. they're not concerned with what others think and are operating on their own time table.

2. They enjoy knowing that they're doing something that drives others (Vette enthusiasts) crazy. :laughing:

Like the guy who lets the 57 Chevy or 69 Roadrunner sit and rot to the ground in their front yard or nearby field yet refuse to sell it...they thrive on the attention and knowing they have control over at least a small part of their life.:devil:

#5 ·
Patrick....we need to SAVE these cars...what so you think the value is?...how many members does DC have?...could they be for sale? Could "we" buy them?

#7 ·
Patrick, it would appear this is another location without adequate fire protection for this prize collection. I certainly hope the property insurance underwriter is aware of the importance of this collection of Vettes being stored and the owner continues to insure them. I would be concerned of arson if any such address or location is revealed. Understanding the Vettes may not individually be prime examples, the collection although, is the ultimate prize.

Thank You and your team, again for all the efforts in following these prize cars. :partyon:

#8 ·
That's a rediculous way to treat Corvettes! Any sports car for that matter. :spanked: They should all be taken away and given to owners that will appreciate them as they need to be.

I will be happy to adopt any of these fine cars and give it the proper attention that it deserves!:D

#13 ·
[FIRST PHOTOS OF NEW LOCATION!] Yes, we found Peter Max's new Corvette dungeon

Yeah he should have cut those loose to the public once he realized he was'nt going to do anything with them.

He was to busy playin the mysterious eccentric art guy

to have cared anything about corvettes

He left them there to add to his "Mystic" So after he was gone He'd have better chance of going down in 'The Art World"
as some creative genius with an extremely Bizzare Habitual behavior and thus bring more $$$$$ to his work at the auction stands after his death

Just between me and yah'all

He was just another Blow Hard Dickhead that only thought of himself.

Bon

#14 ·
Great lead from the DC community - great pics :thumbsup:

Sad state they're in, there's a ton of work to be done to even begin some "paint project" on.

I don't understand all the negativity and hush-nature surrounding the Corvettes... Why not be more open and allow enthusiasts in on this "dream paint plan" and make yourself look like a hero by restoring and bringing more light to the cars, and yourself as a painter.

#25 ·
Hey... bet if we showed up... most likely this garage is not being really used for public parking... and would have no attendent or security on premises... if you look closly at the windows... you can see the old alarm system foil outdated system... which mean no working alarms......on the garage.....:D ...... could we and would we dare....? Just kidding dont get any ideas.... but in the true interest of justice.. we really should save them.

#26 ·
Greetings Fellow Corvette friends

Thanks Patrick for squaring me away and getting me an account...this is my first post-wanted to make sure it works
thanks looking forward to a rocket ride & "what's NEXT" in cool corvette TV adventures...

Like I said in my private email-I am a huge fan of what you and the community are doing...and I look forward to sharing what I know and have in my archive and imagination.

For fellow friends of digital corvettes-I am the creator and producer of the original VH1 Corvette Collection and will be working with Patrick to show everyone all my video, promos archive photos, press clips and new stuff with the community.

Thanks for having me as a member-looking forward to having some fun.

FYI-I have a 96 LT1 Polo Green C4 & the 78 Pace car.

Peace.

Jim Cahill

#27 ·
Thanks Patrick for squaring me away and getting me an account...this is my first post-wanted to make sure it works
thanks
looking forward to a rocket ride & "what's NEXT" in cool corvette TV adventures...

Like I said in my private email-I am a huge fan of what you and the community are doing...and I look forward to sharing what I know and have in my archive and imagination.

For fellow friends of digital corvettes-I am the creator and producer of the original VH1 Corvette Collection and will be working with Patrick to show everyone all my video, promos archive photos, press clips and new stuff with the community.

Thanks for having me as a member-looking forward to having some fun.

FYI-I have a 96 LT1 Polo Green C4 & the 78 Pace car.

Peace.

Jim Cahill
Great to have you here! Nice to finally meet the creator and producer behind the VH1 Corvette giveaway!:cheers:

What are your thoughts when you see the Corvettes in their current state?

We are pretty hard on the Corvettes we own, but this type of casual neglect makes me steamed. These are peoples dream cars! Somebody should be enjoying them and loving them.

~Becky

#28 ·
Hi Becky...thanks for the warm welcome

Thanks...

my reaction to seeing what Peter Max has done (not done) with the Corvette Collection is mixed...

a) on one hand-of course he's the biggest fool in history for not even investing in car covers to keep the grime off them...in fact-when we shipped him the Corvettes-I asked his production manager if he wanted me to include car covers and they said..."No thanks..we'll take it from here." It was 2500 bucks for covers and they refused to make that simple investment. Oh well. I think that cost them a million bucks in the long run. I also offered them the services of an expert on long term classic car storage who would have helped them remove batteries, cover them properly and mount the cars on blocks to save the rubber, but again-they flat out refused. Oh well. By then, I had freight on board and all I could do was wave. They even refused simple 6 mil plastic covering to insure against fluid drips during cross country semi trailer transport.

Ouch! :thud:

I was in complete control of the Corvette collection for 16 months and not only did I have them detailed every six weeks-I had a company that specialized in car prep for commercials on retainer and every time I took them out and photographed them or shot film/video- we dusted them, polished them and upon completion of the creative assignment- covered them. (I will be sharing all my photos, archives, videos and on air promos in the coming weeks on this site exclusively)

b) on the other hand-Peter's mistreatment of the collection has made for a very strange, unique "urban legend" and what comes NEXT will/should be VERY VERY VERY interesting...

Stay tuned & stay in touch!

Peace
Jim Cahill

#29 ·
Since these poor vettes first surfaced on DC ...

Many times over the years, I've wondered if we would ever hear anything again about Max vettes, or if they would be quietly sold off ... or heaven forbid Max would actually resume his paint-stupid-patterns-on-classic-corvettes-project.

DC members were as frustrated and angry back then as many of you are today. It's interesting to read very similar posts from you who are first discovering this miscarriage of tradition and disrespect of Corvette heritage.

I hope this move signals some positive change in destiny for the VH1 collection, but at this point those old feelings of frustration are rising to a boil again.

Regardless, know they are still together is better than not knowing at all. Thanks to Patrick and to the DC members who have assisted in shedding a new light on these poor Corvettes.

#32 ·
complete disrespect...anyway, I agree that DC needs to buy them...How many members are there? times x$ per member...we could pull it off... I'm in for a few grand anyway...(with the right legal paperwork of course...!'m not into "hot" cars!)

#36 ·
sure if he ahd them all restored....I don't think they would be that much in current condition...which may be a reason Max isn't selling them...remember, he has to give the original winner of the contest an any profit up to ? 1 million...no benefit to max selling them the way they are right now and he'd have to clear 1.25 million (plus the cost of storing them for 20 years) in net profit after restoration to not take a loss

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.