Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Light for the AC\HEATER Controls

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  6880 Mike 
#1 ·
Guys is that tiny map light in the center console supposed to light up the AC controls at night? Am I missing something here I can not see them at night. I don't need to see them but it would be nice. What have you guys done to correct this?

#2 ·
:crazy:have always wondered the same thing about that little light in my 79,seems to shine in the wrong spot. but not a huge problem for me as i dont drive mine much at night. previous owner put a vette flag on console where it shines so is pretty cool at night:thumbsup::lookinup:

#3 ·
I think that light is what they called a map light and it was to read a map at night I just figured it would be nice if it also lit up the controls...I like the emblem idea do you have a pic of that?

#8 ·
I have owned three different '77 Corvettes and all of them had an incorrect bulb in that location. The result is poor and misaligned light.

It's a tough bulb to check and many just leave it alone. Check to see if it's correct.

Another possibility is that the tiny bezel that holds the bulb is very delicate and easy to break. If it has a cracked tab or isn't seated properly, the bulb won't hit it's target.

#7 ·
The correct bulb is a 558. I purchased one from NAPA a couple years ago. They still show a listing for it on their website.
The bulb has like a projector type lens molded right in the tip of the bulb. It focuses the light beam on to the console. Mine is very bright when the dash light dimmer is all the way up. A previous owner of my '81 had a 194 bulb in place of it. It wound up melting the plastic housing over time.

#9 ·
AC Heater lamp lights how many??

hey does anyone know how many lamp lights are in the ac controls in my 69 corvette restoring the interior and saw 2 lamp lights found one with a metal socket and one with a plastic socket…. The metal plugs into the underside of the AC heater controls but whats with the extra one????

#10 ·
...hey does anyone know how many lamp lights are in the ac controls in my 69 corvette...
One.

...found one with a metal socket...
Probably the cigarette lighter lamp.

The assembly instruction manual (AIM) would be a big help for you. It shows both of these lamps and where they plug up. You're going to want the AIM for more than instrument lamps.

:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.