Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

LS Radiator / SB or BB Core Support ?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Sly Vette 
#1 ·
I have a "good" SB core support but I know I have read in more than 1 spot about using a BB core support in conjunction with a Dewitts LS radiator. I don't believe they ever specified why but in at least 1 of the articles it was a SB car getting the LS. Can anyone tell me the difference in the two ? Logic would say a BB radiator is larger but often my logic is different then someone elses. Anyone have any insight ?

#2 ·
For the ls swapped c3's that we have seen, we just put the dewitts ls specific radiator in and everything goes together. The only time we will change the core support is when it is rotten or butchered.

I know the first year or two of the c3 it used a small radiator and part of the big opening in the core support was blocked. We modify these to open them up. These very early c3's I think had a different core support for big blocks that were opened up without modification but this wouldn't apply to your 77.

The dewitts ls radiator should come with specific rubber mounts.

#3 ·
I know the first year or two of the c3 it used a small radiator and part of the big opening in the core support was blocked. We modify these to open them up. These very early c3's I think had a different core support for big blocks that were opened up without modification but this wouldn't apply to your 77.
:agree: The small block core support had a flat metal plate on one side blocking off some of the width across the support. The BB unit the plate was gone and the radiator bracket mount holes were wider.

I swapped out the SB one in my '70 for a BB unit when I put my LS in.

#4 ·
My '69 had a full width radiator in it when I bought it and it was a small block L-46.
That's not to say that modifications were not made in the 30+ years from when it left the factory until the time I bought it!
I have recently replaced the 4row copper/brass radiator with a 2row aluminum style with the intention of adding Air conditioning and although the old copper/brass worked fine in the Florida summer heat I felt it was prudent to upgrade the radiator prior to the AC install.
The old rad has been put on the pile of old good parts I've collected over the years.. I gotta get rid of some of this stuff so if anyone needs what appears to be a big block rad in great shape for next to nothing plus shipping let me know!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.