Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

New engine or rebuild

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  383Ride 
#1 ·
I really think the time has come to either replace this engine or rebuild it. It was rebuilt by the PO about 8 years ago, but quite honestly, from what several friends' input that really know what they are talking about, I don't think the PO did a very good job. It was rebuilt to stock anyway, which I could care less about since the engine that is in there now is actually from a '79 corvette.
My childhood friend, who has rebuilt cars all his life and is a corvette guy, just retired from the army and moved back home to my neighborhood. He is ready to jump in and help with whatever I decide. Heck, he's ready to do a frame-off If I want :)
We talked about doing an LS1 or LS2 and trans swap, but the money really isn't there for that right now. So do I just go crate engine, or is it worth rebuilding this engine with high quality parts? I'm just looking for 350-375 HP. Nothing crazy, just something that's fun to drive. Would I really save that much money over a crate engine if rebuilding my current one is an option?
I really wanted to get away from a carbureted engine, but if I rebuild my current one I could always add an EFI kit, right?
I realize this is a greatly open-ended question, but I always appreciate the input you guys give me. So thanks in advance :)

EDIT: One note...In case I rebuild the current engine I've been looking at going with Edelbrock's E-Street EFI system and rebuilding the engine to accommodate it. Any thoughts on that particular system?

See less See more
#2 ·
Well since it's not original, if that even matters, weight both options of machine work and rebuilding vs a new crate. I used the old USA made target masters and they were pretty darn good but I believe they have since gone to Mexico and changed the name on them. Some guys used them and had issues. I'm not sure where the performance engines are made now but many seem to like them. For the hp range you are looking for it's probably a toss up.

I like to rebuild them if there's no rush and cost is equal but finding a competent machine shop isn't easy anymore. One of the last ones I used years ago I had to bring to court. The last shop I used was good but he closed up because the crate engines killed his business.

#3 ·
I'm lucky that we have several really good machine shops in my area since it is a big classic/muscle car area. That being said, If the cost for a complete machining of the block with all plugs installed is upwards of 800-1000 dollars I'll probably just go the crate engine route. If I go the crate route then I just need to decide if I want a bare setup to which I will add parts or go full turn-key. Too many options :)

#4 ·
When I had my block bored 020 over, tanked, fluxed, cam bearings installed, and rods fit to new pistons it was $800- 10 years ago. By the time I was done it was about $2k or so. I file fit the rings, deburred the block, did all the little tricks,etc. I went with WP SR Torquer heads and was really happy with the build until I started using oil!! Drove me nuts trying to figure what was going on until I spoke with my old buddy Lars one day and he told me the valves should have positive seals on them and they came with umbrella seals. Those didn't work and the oil was sucked in and burnt. I had to swap the heads to get going again, solved the problem.
This was the original '72 engine so I wanted to reuse it and not leave it bagged in the garage.

The 2 crate engines I bought, for $800 & $1000 new- 30-35 years ago, all I did was swap the timing chain set and bolt on the intake and parts and go. No issues at all. They didn't have more then 300hp but I ran them everyday. One was in my 67 and that was sold, the other in my 69 and now is in my son's 75 still with the stock bottom end and abused to hell. I am amazed he hasn't thrown a rod yet since it has a blower and N20 on the top end! If the new crates are anything like that then go for it.

#5 ·
Jasper engines offers a 3yr 100,000 mile parts and labor warranty on all their builds. At the very least you should ask whatever builder your looking at if they will compete with it.

About efi kits, FAST 2.0 kits are the latest and greatest. If you want a returnless fuel system with pwm fuel pump and sequential fueling and a very user friendly color hi def touchscreen then fast is the way to go. Otherwise if you are looking for a cheaper entry into the efi arena I think there is a newer company "FI tech" that might be worth checking out.

#7 ·
When I'm trying to make a decision like this I use my wish list at Summit..... I start adding parts I want/need for the build to the wish list. Pistons, rings, bearings, rods, crank, gaskets, distributor, engine bolts, oil pump, pan, timing chain, cam, lifters, push rods, rocker arms, rocker studs, valve covers, intake manifold..... When your done, you can dump them all into the cart for a total.

Don't forget the machine work, bore, flux, cam bearings, got to have the line bore checked, rods checked, pistons fitted, etc. I did a V6 for my jeep 4 years ago.. $1600 in machine work. But that did include R&R of the heads.

Once you have the ball park total you can compare that to what the crate motors cost. How much time you have to work on it can play a part too. If you build your own, you have to build it right. To much to mention here but valve spring height, push rod length, piston to valve clearances, compression ratio, bearing clearances, ring gap and a host of others all need to be measured and verified. It takes allot to build an engine correctly.

Warranty............ suppose you buy all these top of line parts put them together and a thousand miles down the road the engine goes kapokita, pokita, pow............

When I built my Corvette, this is how I did it. I was surprised that the parts to build the LS7 I wanted were within a grand of a top of the line crate engine that came with a computer, tune and warranty. I choose the crate engine.

Best of luck...........

#8 ·
I've done a lot of research over the last few days taking into account what you guys have said. I've decided to go the crate route. At the very least I'll purchase a crate base (everything built up to the intake). That way I'll know that the bottom end with all of the tight tolerances is assembled correctly. I called around yesterday and all of the work I would need to recondition my old block would be almost $900. Since it is not the original engine, that is not money I care to spend. Now I just need to decide on the crate engine. I'm going to keep my TH350 trans for now (as much as I hate it). My target is 350 HP. That should provide enough power to make it fun to drive without tearing anything up. If I end up anywhere between 300-350 I'll be happy. It's a cruiser, not a racecar :) Still, any suggestions moving forward are greatly appreciated.

EDIT: One note...having this engine out will give me the opportunity to do a few things that still need doing, like the front end suspension work and replacing a leaky PS pump. Also, I may end up sending the steering box to Gary.

#9 ·
I go through this decision and selection process rather frequently with the local guys before we decide to build a custom engine and its very common to find that when you add up the potential parts list and machine work costs that purchasing a crate engine makes a good deal of financial sense/
the few times it does not generally are based on either cases where a rebuild of the current combo, won,t require more than refurbishing the current heads with a valve job and probably new valve guides and valve seals and valve springs and new bearings , gaskets,cam and lifters, and you can get away with a quick cylinder hone and new rings.

Once your talking about a block re-bore and new pistons,bearings and a re-balance job and new cylinder heads added to the build its generally faster and cheaper to shop for a crate engine.
from what your describing I think you could easily refurbish the current engine to meet your intended goal, but only a complete disassembly and careful inspection of the current engines components will let you know that, is feasible and for most guys if your going that far they have already decided on a full rebuild or a crate engine because they are either in a hurry to get the car up and running or they have a specific goal or engine combo in mind.

don,t get locked into thinking you can,t find other options
If seen running LS engines available from salvage yards for
under $800, 8.1 liter, complete big blocks for $1500-$2000

http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/junkyard-ls-engine-builds-going-from-rags-to-riches/

http://www.tristarengines.com/catal...rate-engine-w-hp-aluminum-cylinder-heads.html

#10 ·
That's a good point Grumpy. I should probably at least give the salvage yards a quick look-over. You never know when you'll find an LS for a great price. However, if I went the LS route, doesn't that mean I would HAVE to change the trans also? I'm certainly not fond of the TH350 that's in the car now, but I'm not quite ready to dump that much money into the project just yet.
Again though...I could find an amazing deal on the LS/trans combo too. I'm not really in a huge rush. Once I get my starting issues figured out on the current engine I'm quite content to drive it until I find what I want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.