Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

Speedometer and Tachometer gauge size.

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Sly Vette 
#1 ·
I will be upgrading my speedometer and tachometer from mechanical to electrical soon and I'd like to order the new Autometer Phantom gauges to match the gauges in the cluster.
Without removing the drivers side dash to measure and removing my car from service(I drive it daily)could anyone verify that the 5" gauges will fit with no or maybe slight modification?
I know it's not overly difficult to remove the drivers side dash but I really don't want to have to remove and replace the dash just to measure the gauge diameter and then remove it again in a few days when the parts arrive...
Thanks in advance!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
Hey bud. First off yes 5" gauges are what you want. Second Autometer is the way to go. they are precise and reliable. And third, Depending on how much of a rush you are in, The very next thing for me to design and start 3d printing is the exact plates that you will need to put 5" aftermarket gauges in your dash. Alternately you can make your own out of whatever material you want.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Thanks guys!!!
It appears that I'll give fabbing my own filler plates a shot. Depending on how they turn out will determine what I do next...
Good to know I have options if I fall flat on my face on this one!
You seem to be getting some good results with your 3D printer,Autowiz. Been following the parts you fabbed for the AC install..
Good Work!

#7 ·
I am hesitant to pull the trigger on the gauges. I'm just not sure how they will look with a 1/2" reveal around the white faced gauge.
Is there a pic of the front of the gauge installed in the bezel?
I need to change to an electric or gps speedometer due to the fact that my old mechanical speedometer was always off by 10% due to the mating of a T-5 trans and replacing the drive gear in the trans is a pain. That and the fact that the odometer never worked in the mechanical speedometer.
Man,I wish Autometer made a 6" speedometer head!!!
I have lived with the 10% discrepancy on the speedo for years so I may just go with a replacement mechanical head. At least then I'll have a working odometer.
On the up side.. The Vintage Air is near completion and I will soon be able to drive again in this Florida heat without turning into a puddle of sweat in the drivers seat!
Also the issue from way back with having a relatively accurate temp gauge should be addressed...you would think with all the sensors in the modern cars,someone would be able to make a more accurate temp sender for our older cars!
My engine runs 180-195 degrees flawlessly and I have yet to find a sender that even comes close. That being said I will be heating the sender to 180,checking the resistance and calibrating the temp gauge with a resistor to make it relatively accurate....
Finally addressing all the deficiencies that were associated with dash work... I Hate Dash Work!!!
Thanks for the help guys!!!
And although I don't chime in very often,mainly because many of the builds I see here are way over my head and expertise,I watch them closely and have much respect for the intelligence and talent so often on display here on DC...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.