Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

More C8 rumors

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Longtimer 
#1 ·
Multiple sources, who claim to have close ties to GM, that not only is a mid-engined ZR1 Corvette in the works, it will come with a brand-new supercharged small-block LT5 producing in the neighborhood of 750 horsepower. This would officially dethrone Mopar’s Hellcat as the highest horsepower car sold in America. With rumors of the 2018 Shelby GT500 packing 740 horsepower and a brand-new Ford GT to contend with, we wouldn’t be surprised to see a new halo Corvette as soon as 2017 (as a 2018 model).

http://www.corvetteonline.com/news/will-the-new-corvette-zr1-have-a-mid-engine-750-hp-lt5/

Reactions: MR BRNS C6
#2 ·
Interesting. I hope they still keep a traditional layout for Corvette as well for those of us without fat wallets.

I recently read an article that service on the Ford GT is going to be ridiculous. Super restrictions on dealerships, mechanics and how the car is handled. I can see this negatively impacting the used market on these cars. My fear is that something similar will happen with a mid-engine Corvette. Hopefully GM sorts it out differently.

#4 ·
I disagree.
1. GM would never allow a Cadillac to out perform all Corvettes. With 750 HP, this will be a beast that will leave most Euro Exotics in the dust.

2. Maintenance issues. For a while now, GM has required that sellers of Covettes must have GM trained Corvette Mechanics. GM has been designing the C8, unlike the new Ford GT that was partially mechanically designed and manufactured by a third party. Although I have no specific knowledge as to why the Ford GT requires such expensive maintenance, I'm guessing it was this manufacturer, without the mass production knowledge that keeps some focus on service and maintenance, that incorporated the expensive maintenance designs.

3. The new Cadillac Division head has been asked several times about the most important models that need to be added to Cadillac. His political response was that at some point Cad might want to add a two seat sports car to the lineup, but right now there is much greater need for several other models that would be much higher volume than a two seat sports car.

4. Model Positioning. There have been several rumors about how the Corvette model line will use the C8 rear mid. It's anyone's guess at this point.
A. The C7 will continue to be sold side by side in the showroom with the C8 and the market will decide if another front mid will be offered.​

B. The C7 will continue to be sold side by side in the showroom with the C8 for a year or two at most. Then other drive trains / engines will begin to be offered (likely at a much lower price than the Exotic Killer opening model.​

C. The C7 will die immediately upon release of the C8 rear mid. This scenario would require an "entry" level C8 with something less than the 750HP engine would have ot be offered from day one.​

"C." is the most recent rumor, but GM has VAST experience in disseminating mis-information and watching us for reactions.

5. Cost / Pricing assuming it replaces the C7 at introduction: I've stated this before, but lets figure out why a rear mid "must be significantly more expensive" than the front mid.
A. Corvette's current business model has been successful for three generations. Early years of a new Gen sell in the mid 30 thousands and begin to taper down at a rate that dictates when a new gen must be released.​
B. Other than the engine block, some transmissions, infotainment and HAVC parts, almost all the parts in today's front mid are unique to Corvette = not shared with any higher volume GM models and most are made of "exotic" light weight materials (Aluminum, Magnesium, composite, and a little carbon fiber)​
C. Would a rear mid design require...
1. ...more parts that for some reason would have a costlier design.​
2. ...the same number of parts that would cost the same.​
3. ...fewer parts that would cost less or mor​

One of the points of a rear mid (in addition to Physics) is to reduce weight by reducing the number of parts. If this is achieved and if A. and B. are true - and they are - the only variable from the C5, C6 & C7 might be the volume. If the C8 buisness model assumes it will attain the same level of sales as its predecessors AND if it stays with the mostly composite body (not more costly Carbon Fiber), there is no justification for a significant increase in cost/pricing for the "base" model.

#7 ·
Corvettes have been my daily drivers for 30+ years. FWIW, I agree with you that it is difficult to find a dealer's shop that consistently delivers good service. This has easily been my biggest gripe about vette ownership.

There are several reasons. The first is a Catch 22. The vast majority of vettes don't break often enough to justify a full time vette expert mechanic at most dealerships. Second, when you do find a good one, that mechanic usually moves on before your vette breaks again. Lastly, most dealerships "also sell a few vettes." Therefore, they "also service a few vettes" - and like anything done infrequently, the results are mediocre at best.

Solutions:
1. Limit the dealership repairs as much as possible > warranty and warranty requirements. Find the closest vette specialty shop in your area. These guys "live" Corvettes and will know much more about your car than 98% of the dealership mechanics. Some of them are probably former dealership mechanics. BTW, I think we have a couple of the 2% knowledgeable mechanics who are DC members and I certainly do NOT aim my critical remarks towards them.
2. Find a dealership in your region that prides themselves on being a "Corvette dealership." Talk to the service manager and find out who will be working on your vette BEFORE you visit the dealership. Some will only have a specialized / knowledgeable sales guy, but some will also have a resident vette mechanic. If you find this dealership and the vette team doesn't rotate out, your are gold (and rare).

All of the above applies to any Corvette from base to Z06 to ZR1 ... to C8. If C8s are to be sold in Viper-like quantities of 2000 max per year, yes, dealer service will need to be governed closely by GM or there will be a LOT of unhappy owners. But if the rear mid C8 sells in today's volumes, I cannot envision a likely scenario that would change ownership experiences, just because it's a rear mid. JMHO

P.S. Sorry to pontificate so much, but I sincerely believe there is too much paranoia about the rear mid configuration. Change challenges us.

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.