Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

PCV valve search

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Marks76ray 
#1 ·
I have been studying (PCV) positive crankcase ventilation systems for my 8.1L engine. With the installation of the new intake manifold, the factory PCV was eliminated. This was a good thing because the 8.1L PCV system is known to draw oil into the intake and consume a quart every 1000 to 2000 miles. With me using fuel injection and ECM the distributor hole in the rear of the intake is not being used. My plan is to use this hole to draw air from the crankcase using a vacuum port on the intake. The aftermarket valve covers will have a breather in each one of them for filtered air supply. There will be a oil catch can between the distributor hole and the intake vacuum. The only thing I have not figured out is I want some type of baffle at the distributor hole and PVC Valve. The more I have read on this subject the more important a good working PCV system is to me. It's not the environmental aspect i'am worried about, it's all the positive things a good system does for your engine.

1. Less knock sensor ping keeping your engine running better
2. Less pressure in crankcase eliminating oil leaks.
3. Less crud in crankcase extending the life of your engine.
4. No mess in your engine bay from oil leaks.
5. Less pollutants in our environment.

This is just some of the more important things.

Here's a link to the best PCV valve I could find on the net. It is fully adjustable and rebuildable. You should read the info on their site, some good stuff on there.

http://mewagner.com/?page_id=1130

If you have anything to add please chime in. Also i'am looking for a good oil catch can if you have any recommendations. As this progresses I will post on my build thread the system I will be using with pictures.

:cheers:
Mark

See less See more
#2 ·
Mark,

This same issue pops up with synthetic oils, the plastic in them eventually fills up the cross hatch in the cylinders allowing blow by that the PCV system sucks into the intake.

My solution was to place a canister type fuel filter (like the one on the link below) between the PCV valve and the intake.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g1508

It has a replaceable filter and passes air reasonably well. In addition this reduces a tremendous amount of pollutants from your exhaust. The down side is you have to check and empty it at oil change intervals.

My $.02

#4 ·
Hey Mark-

Why don't you PVC one valve cover and a breather on the other... And not mess w/ the intake. Been working on SBC and BBC for years.

Here's a high tech adjustable one that might be the ticket

http://www.powerperformancenews.com/tech-articles/an-adjustable-pcv-valve-for-the-street/
Richard the reason is strictly for looks. I have already got the breathers that match the valve covers, plus there is so much going on in the engine bay. If I can hide the hose for the PCV system in the back of the intake it would be a cleaner install. The valve that you are referring to is the one in my link and I agree with you, it is the only valve on the market that is fully adjustable. It's a little pricey but I think it's well worth the cost.

7T your idea is actually a oil catch can. Catch cans are very simple and can be done cheaply. One of the benefits of a catch can is you can monitor how much oil the system is catching. The more oil you catch will tell you there is a problem. The problem is either blow by from the rings or a non functioning PCV component. This is a very useful tool.

I know some of you will think you have a engine that does not have a system that uses these components and runs just fine. I don't disagree with you, it's the fact your engine will perform better and longer with this system.

:cheers:
Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.